370Z Running in miles?

jonny jones

I'm by no means and expert, and don't pretend to be, but I've owned two identical Clio 172's in the past from new. One I followed the handbook advice and ran in the engine for 1000 miles. The other I got bored after 50 miles and drove it how I wanted. The second of the two always felt more willing if that makes sense. Of course it could all be placebo effect.

1200 miles.

Quite sure that Nissan can find out from the ECU if the specified running in procedures have been abused - something to bear in mind should the engine/box go pop before that mileage is done.

• Like 1

If it interests you, read this

http://www.mototuneu..._in_secrets.htm

It is away from the normally conceived procedure of running in the engine, but ask any engine builder how they run in rebuilt engines?

I wouldn't be suprised if most of them said "hard"

Thanks for the Link :)

So on the Street! its best to give the car short hard blasts in 2nd gear! :teeth:

Haven't heard of engines problems from members' feedback on here, but there have been gearbox issues with several being changed before the warranty expired (mine included). Without trawling back through those reported cases, I don't recall those issues coming to light in the first 1200 miles, but I believe the data will be there, if Nissan chose to check.

Personally I would respect what the handbook says about the running in period, which in the case of my 370 that now looks like a long term keeper I am glad I did :) .

Most new car's engines are bedded in from delivery nowerdays.

Having seen new 370's coming off the production line and started for the first time, I wouldn't worry too much about running it in. It has already been done for you.

I would do an oil and filter change after 1500 miles though.

Look at it another way? You have just payed a Lot of money for a precisly engineered car. If Nissan say run it in then run it in. Better to take it slow now rather than fork out for an expensive engine rebuild later on . Simple.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Theres all sorts of stories suggesting that you dont need to run in but you need to consider longevity.

Follow what nissan suggest but most importantly dont labour it too much. Keep it revving freely and not under excessive load but have mechanical empathy.

Last thing you want is an oil burner.