Noob on Wheel refinishing (repaint, etc).. need some general advice.

Chromatic

Hey guys,

The prev. owner nicked two wheels (not badly) and nothing that MUST be fixed really.. but I just actually nicked another wheel going 0.1mph (pulling into the night drop box at the bank to deposit).. and it just felt like the tyre rubbed the curb slightly.. I got out to check and about a 2 inch long, quarter inch wide curb rash is there. About like what the prev. owner did on the other two wheels.

Plus something is up with my Front wheels on this 2008 350.. They have what looks like Brake dust that the prev. owner let cake on the wheels and never washed off for a LOOOOONG time (years) and bake in the 100F+ heat,.. that doesn't wash off. I guess a picture may help show this:

12438842254_5ce49a1888.jpgFront Wheel - Stains

As you can see it's not something that is Insanely obvious (as from more than 2-3 feet it's not noticeable).. but add all this up and I am considering doing something to make the wheels look "new" again (if the price isn't bad).

Oh, I only suspect that the above picture is due to brakedust because it is only on the front wheels.. the rear wheels are perfect in everyway. But I could be wrong ;)

Anyhow...

What options do I have? I'd be perfectly happy just to have the exact same finish on them now redone. Is this the cheapest option?

Are there different types of "methods" to paint them? If so what are the "general" costs associated?

I know we are on different currencies but I can convert and I just want rough figures anyways..

IE: If it's $1000 to do it, that's too much.. If it's a few hundred dollars.. more likely I would get it done. And I guess is there any "self repair of light curb rash and such to make it look better (I'm sure not like new).." But,.. something to hide it a bit that won't just wear off with half a dozen wheel scrubs?

My wheels .. like most of the factory 18" wheels are actually finished in Black then they put the silver over to give the look they have (or so I read).. So when you get any bit of a nick no matter how light it shows up in black as the top layer is rubbed off..

Thanks

Not sure about US Prices (But I suspect cheaper than UK)... I got a 4 wheel refurb done for £300 ($500). Theses were fairly battered and corroded. The whole process was acid stripped, filled, powder coated and finally sprayed on top for a shadow chrome finish.

Put some feelers out on the US forums as there are bound to be some decent places near you. I was so shocked at how good they came out... literally like new! + I bet you'll only pay $300 for the same service... seems everything is matched £'s to $'s :)

ShadowChrome2.jpg

• Like 1

Do you not like being American, lol, i would have thought info like this is readily available on the US forums and at least the prices will be accurate, seems very odd to want to ask what options we have in an other country. USA is generally way more advanced than this small isle, try getting wheels chromed or copper plated here for example :)

Completely no offence intended but nothing we say can help imho ;)

Do you not like being American, lol, i would have thought info like this is readily available on the US forums and at least the prices will be accurate, seems very odd to want to ask what options we have in an other country. USA is generally way more advanced than this small isle, try getting wheels chromed or copper plated here for example :)

Completely no offence intended but nothing we say can help imho ;)

I'm not crazy about America to be perfectly honest for quite a while now..

As for the info -- It's not that the UK paints differently than the US.. I didn't say.. "Hey guys, can you give me a referral to a spot that does good work? " :) -- I'm perfectly capable of finding a place to do it.. just wanted to feel it out.

And as for asking here.. Frankly the US forums.. the big one anyway.. is full of well, Americans, that while this place has it's a-holes like anywhere else.. that place has them everywhere. I like this forum.. people are more civil and friendlier.. the US forum is full of info but is often not a pleasant experience. When I join a community I don't want to feel like "Hrmm.. if I post this question, etc.. am I going to get my head bitten off for it.." Not that it's any big deal, it's online.. but perhaps you understand.

ship your car over here to Northampton we got a place does 4 wheels for £180 bargain

Heh,.. yeah, that is a bargain -- The few thousand for shipping is totally worth it :D

Generally speaking, in terms of the options I've seen here, you can get them re-painted, powdercoated or hydro dipped. I'm sure you'll have myriad custom choices stateside and much more competitive pricing. Even in the little old UK the prices can vary quite a bit, just from area to area, I was quoted anything from £70 to powdercoat, up to £150 for multi stage paint job, per wheel, so geography and finish will have a huge impact on price.

You seem like a handy sort of chap and I'm sure I saw a how to/guide on DIY refurbishing wheels, but I can't find it! Might be worth a trawl through the guides and wheels sections, if you're feeling it's something you might take on yourself. Good luck mate!

• Like 1

Generally speaking, in terms of the options I've seen here, you can get them re-painted, powdercoated or hydro dipped. I'm sure you'll have myriad custom choices stateside and much more competitive pricing. Even in the little old UK the prices can vary quite a bit, just from area to area, I was quoted anything from £70 to powdercoat, up to £150 for multi stage paint job, per wheel, so geography and finish will have a huge impact on price.

You seem like a handy sort of chap and I'm sure I saw a how to/guide on DIY refurbishing wheels, but I can't find it! Might be worth a trawl through the guides and wheels sections, if you're feeling it's something you might take on yourself. Good luck mate!

Good info. Those prices sound great. Like I said.. if prices around here to make them look like they did from the factory (I don't want anything different really.. no need for chrome etc..).. are oh.. under $300 or so.. It's something I'll definitely do. But, if it runs say 4-500+ dollars.. then, meh.. I can live with what I have. At that price I'd just assume be in the market for new wheels.

Thing is I really, really like the factory 18" wheels on this 2008.. No aftermarket wheel really appeals to me SO much to fork out 1000's of dollars.. I'm not a huge "wheel" guy.. I certainly am picky about wheels.. and about 90% of them on cars I see on the road I don't like. But, these I do.

For example.. (no offense to anyone).. these wheels that came on earlier models I would be looking to replace. ;)

002393_wheel.jpg

They were just too small for the car.. and the design leaves a bit lacking.. Nissan really did a good job by making them a little bigger and adding some curves later on. However, even that said.. they look better than most wheels on most cars sold out there still :)

yeah that Group is fun to watch.. but nothing I need at the TIME ever pops up.. It's always AFTER I get it, it pops up. Sigh.

Like now I need a nice Used (mint condition) Homelink Rearview mirror to replace my Base model mirror.. But I guarantee you if I post on there WTB ... No one will have it. Then after I get it somewhere.. BAM,.. it will pop up for like $25. ;)

Wheels aren't THAT cheap.. lots of wheels are like $3000+ .. I don't really consider that cheap. But I guess it's all relative,.. though again, I like the factory design I have.. Just needs some refinishing due to curb rash and a little odd staining.