Novice needing servicing answers

Dicky

Looking to do my own servicing but unsure about bits and pieces. The first concerns the cooling system. I'm looking to drain and flush it. The manual says to fill it with "Genuine Nissan Long Life Antifreeze/ Coolant or equivalent mixed with water (distilled or demineralized)"

I understand the antifreeze bit but what do they mean by " /coolant". I'd have thought the coolant was the water? Or is the coolant the antifreeze and water mix?

Beware I may have more daft questions before I'm finished

Ah so it's a special mix and not as in the old days a watering can of water with a bit of antifreeze dropped in. Ha ha

Thanks lads for your input but remember to get swotting up cos my next daft question may well follow soon once I get the bits and start the work.

New terminology, they use words like fenders, trunks, rotors etc etc on this site, manufacturers antifreeze/coolant one word, nothings changed they just like to make it sound more than what it is. Don't worry its a sign of getting old and being pi**ed off with people re-inventing the wheel by changing its name. Right that's my Sunday morning rant done back to watching Jeremy Kyle repeats. :p:wheelchair:

• Like 2

Not sure what our traders charge but just found Nissan L 248 at Vospers.com for £13.79 for 5L and £6:50 postage. Anyone know where it can be had cheaper?

cheers for that Dicky.

Coolant ordered

Oh did I not mention there was a 50% finders fee! silly old me forgetting that ha ha

Not sure what our traders charge but just found Nissan L 248 at Vospers.com for £13.79 for 5L and £6:50 postage. Anyone know where it can be had cheaper?

Nope. That's a great price Dicky. :thumbs:

Think I paid around £22 odd per 5Litres when I had it done.

Daft question 2

Anyone know if the car has a "Cabin air filter" noticed it on the Nissan service check list, but don't know if it's just an item on another model.

And while I'm on

Daft question 3

Nissan manual says to use water to flush out the cooling system. Is that what everyone does and are there risks if water is left in, or does the coolant mix dilute it when added? Or am I being over cautious ?