Squeaky..Very ASBO Squeaky!

SkylineV35

Theres always something wrong grr! lol

Ok I have a loud squeaking coming from the engine bay.. I have determined this by rolling up the windows and noise cant be heard as much. It squeaks on cold starts...

Iv checked the tension on my belts and they appear to be fine if anything slightly tighter than should be but nothing too drastic

Iv tried spraying wd40 at different pulleys to get rid of the noise. But it still does it when sitting in neutral and revving, however when in first gear and planted it doesnt make a noise.

Noise usually squeaks for about 3-5mins and goes away for rest of the journey.

When changing my tires I had the mechanic try and pinpoint where the noise was coming from he thinks its from one of the top two pulleys.

These pulleys arent oem they are Ams lightweight pulleys. Also the one at the top near the centre of the engine has a little play in it..could this be the cause of all the noise. The thing is when it squeaks its not just a quiet one.. its louder than anything and is very embarassing.

It tends to do it when its raining..I dont know if this is a coincidence or not.

However if it is the pulley bearing. Will it be the ams pulley that will need replacing or is it the bit that it attaches to? As im sure when I had them out the box there wasnt any bearing or anything on the pulley, it was just a solid piece of metal with no moving parts.

Please help me someone.. im at the end of my patience with this car... I cant seem to remember a time it has run perfect lol :lol:

More likely the run back down the motorway. Wonder if the noise is the bearings then. Don't know though.

I think it might be the bearings cause im thinking ideally they shouldnt be able to budge but i can click it back and forth by half a mm or so..

But the worrying question is if it is the bearing what caused it? Was it my lightweight pulleys or the belt being a tad to stiff.

And where the hell do I find a bearing to replace it with lmao..

Its so embarrasing you can hear me a block away like you would an aftermarket exhaust at full wot! :yuck:

I have the AMS pulley's, and when its cold i get a squeak from what i think is the pulley's, it goes away after a few minutes. Put it down to the pulley's shrinking due to the cold, and onlce they warm up,the thermal expansion stops the noise. Personally dont see it being a problem,though agree its a little irritating.

I have the AMS pulley's, and when its cold i get a squeak from what i think is the pulley's, it goes away after a few minutes. Put it down to the pulley's shrinking due to the cold, and onlce they warm up,the thermal expansion stops the noise. Personally dont see it being a problem,though agree its a little irritating.

Does it do it when you sit on idle and rev it? Mine squeaks even when warmed up. Also can you rock your pulley back n forth? Just wondering. Cause it is way to loud lol

Alternator pulley did it on mine changed it back from the AMS and it was better :shrug:

Did have a Zed here the other day with an horrendous noise coming from the idler pulley - so we replaced the complete idler - sorted :thumbs:

Alternator pulley did it on mine changed it back from the AMS and it was better :shrug:

Did have a Zed here the other day with an horrendous noise coming from the idler pulley - so we replaced the complete idler - sorted :thumbs:

Ahh so the bearing..is on the pulley? So just replacing the pulley should be fine then yes? Yes I think its the idler pulley its the one on the right handside near the top that is shakey.

What do you mean by complete idler? So you replaced more than just the pulley but the bit it attaches to?

Edited by SkylineV35

Hmm iv just read on some forums that I dont need this pulley?! Is this true? I have a vq35de rev up. So instead of replacing I can remove it and get a different belt. Can anyone confirm this?

Do you have air con? and are you talking removing yours? unless your losing something its not possible to fit a shorter belt, I would look at either the idler/tensioner pulley bearing or possibly the alternator or power steering pump, the over tight belt tension wont help things.

Its the power steering pump, and the rusty one underneath is the tensioner/idler, which has a bearing and which is used to adjust the belt tension, you should be able to twist the belt at the longest run about 45 degrees if its tensioned correctly.

Edited by Tricky-Ricky

I strongly suspect that its going to be a Nissan only part and that its one piece IE pulley with bearing.

Have you tried the traders here?

No Im trying to identify what the part is and hoping one of the traders can spot it and help me out lol