Importing my Zed into the US - "You I sell or should I go"

akewt

Hello good forumers

I am relocating to the US in the next few weeks.

As you can imagine I have been in absolute turmoil trying to decide whether to ship my car over to the US or not. I cannot bare the thought of losing her (Lexy) so wanted to start up a discussion about the pros and cons of shipping her out there.

My company is paying for the relocation and this includes the cost of shipping a car. So that is all well and good so import cost won't be too much pain, although coming back I imagine would be!

Has anybody on here had any experience with shipping a car over to the US? I will be relocating to California so what type of emission laws do they have there? I will try to find out some info here and post. What do you have to do to convert your car to meet these emission laws?

Also, any opinions on whether having a car with the wrong hand side steering wheel is a real pain after a long period?

Should I just sell up and buy another over there?!!

Thanks for reading :)

Kev

Read up on the smog tests, they can be a right PITA in California.

Personally, I wouldn't dream of taking a Zed out there. Be much cheaper and easier to buy one out there, or even just use it as a chance to buy something more Yank-friendly (i.e. with a huge V8).

• Like 2

Personally, I wouldn't dream of taking a Zed out there. Be much cheaper and easier to buy one out there, or even just use it as a chance to buy something more Yank-friendly (i.e. with a huge V8).

+1

+1

+ 2.

I drive left hand drive cars over here every day for a living and have driven right hand drive in the US/Canada. I can tell you that you will get used to it pretty quick but it can be irritating in the long term. Tolls being one great annoyance! In the USA it isn't too bad though as the worst thing to deal with are roundabouts which they don't really have at all. The other catch is lane changing, but seeing as the in the US it's pretty much fair game to undertake anyway, it doesn't make too much difference.

I have to say that I personally wouldn't bother taking her over, maybe clean her up and put her in storage, or alternatively get a family member to look after her in the mean time? Or, take the hard step and sell. I think it's fair to say that we all get attached to our cars but the hassle probably wouldn't be worth it.

ARRGGHHH!!!! Your killllliiiing me! :(

I had a feeling it might be the sensible option...

I have put so much love into it I am very reluctant to sell, but it may well be the only choice. Damn it!

Anyone wanna buy a 350Z?

ARRGGHHH!!!! Your killllliiiing me! :(

I had a feeling it might be the sensible option...

I have put so much love into it I am very reluctant to sell, but it may well be the only choice. Damn it!

Anyone wanna buy a 350Z?

Sure there will be a lot of interest in your Zed. do you conform to the regulations for posting an advert

for it on here. ?. :blush:

give it to me to look after....two zeds are better than one :lol: nah, seriously depends on your lenght of stay in yank land, short term; less than 2 yrs keep it here, any longer sell and buy again in the states, btw, good luck....... :headhurt:

It's interesting you say that. My stay will be aproximately 2-3 years. I have thought about keeping it here.

get on a us car site (craigslist? greggslist? creggslist???) and see how much a US zed is, as others have said, i'd sell yours here then buy a LHD one in the states, trick it out with some pimp US goodies. Plus if you buy a Californian one it probably wont have seen any salt or rust.

If you dont want to sell here, is there anyone here you trust with a long term loan of a zed? a famiy member could look after it for a while for you, either drive it or SORN it and store it, with the usual provisos about long term storage of cars.

I think it has to be a sale.

Even though I say I will be out there for 3 years there is a possibility I may never return!

Thanks for all the advise guys! No I just need to get some decent photos taken of my beast.

I think it has to be a sale.

Even though I say I will be out there for 3 years there is a possibility I may never return!

Thanks for all the advise guys! No I just need to get some decent photos taken of my beast.

Prefer images of the car, this is a family forum :stir:
  • Like 3