Z UK ROAD TAX costs?

N15MNO-Daron

Hiya.. anyone know if the 350z has been affected by the new road tax cost schemes??

I know Z's gives off high co2 emissions, but im not sure if we need to pay extra tax every year as a result.. really worrries me ... :scare:

Tried to find info using 'search', if there is posting about it pls send to me.

Thanks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if a z was registered after march 1st 2006 (i think) then they pay £300 per year which goes up to £400 next year, where as the ones registered b4 march the 1st pay £210 this year then £215 next year.

almost sure there was a post in the general discussion thread a while ago :)

Hi all...

BAD TAX NEWS FOR IMPORTS!!

I just spoke to DVLA and also SVA and they said that this issue has already been raised before.

The rules are:

"Any vehicle (no matter what age) which is registered in UK after March 2006 which has a CO2 reading above 225 (class G) must pay £300 per yr tax"

Also..this rate may be increased to £400 from next year 2008.

Nixy - u got tax for £99 (for 6 months), i spoke to Jurgen in JM imports and he classes all his vehicles as "PLG" which according to DVLA is wrong! My importers have refused to class it same way.. so i think u been v lucky that JM Imports and the DVLA permitted the mistake ;)

Whoever you were taking to at the DVLA is talking out of their arse.

There is no mention in any literature I've read of its first UK registration, only its first registration and that would be in Japan and this of course is what plate the car is on.

The date of 1st registration is the Jap registration, not its UK registration or that would mean a car could be 20-30 years old and still be charged as if it were brand new - I'd like to see them get some CO2 figures for cars over 20 years old

so we need a pre March 2006 model and a post March 2006 model to sort this out - anybody out there who would like to settle this.

What do you pay in VED (road tax to the rest of us)??????????

PS nixxy, you were lucky that you got away with that, I’ve got an FTO Jap import at present and that’s registered as a PLG as well – tax is due soon as well so I’ll have a look to see how much it is.

I'm confused now! I'm not sure what I've got away with. I've just put my registration into the DVLA vehicle enquiry page and it says my liability is £99 for 6 months so I presume it will be the same next time.

Hiya.. according to DVLA, theyre not classed PLG, unless there's no CO2 level available for that specific car.. (they'd class it as PLG if no CO2 info or left hand drive).

Ive contacted DVLA twice and spoke to 2 different depts.. they stressed to me quote, " as long as the DVLA's got a recorded CO2 emission for that particular vehicle we will charge tax upon registration in UK regardless of the year the car was manufactured"

However, of course if the car was manufactered 20/30 yrs ago and they didnt have a CO2 emission for it.. then its just classes as PLG and normal tax charge depending on engine size.

If anyone would like to call DVLA and confirm this ..then pls do so.

Nixy..u did get away with it.. your car's classes as PLG (DVLA confirmed Jurgen made mistake when registering his cars but nevermind, i didnt mention his name/company to them) but it looks like u will save approx £100 a year on tax hopefully ..lucky lady!

Just got some tax on my 53 plate U.K registered 350Z, cost me £205 for a year, a bargain i thought considering i payed £140 for the year on my MG ZR. So it has not affected my car i dont think, registered april 04 ish ?

Any help to you all ?

The issue referred to is for imports that although a few years old are registered in UK after 2006. I still think the DVLA are probably confused themselves! I don't understand why the emmissions info wouldn't be available?

It seems no matter what yr 350z u have.. if its registered in UK after 2006, the DVLA will ask you to pay the higher tax rate (class G, over 225 CO2 emissions) which is:

£165 - 6 months

£300 - 12 months

If its £205 - a year then your 350z has been classes PLG (wrongly) but i guess take it as a bonus saving if the DVLA didnt notice ;)

Im one of those unlucky ones who gotta pay out the higher rate and the DVLA dont care that its unfair :protest:

• 2 weeks later...

Surely thats immoral and possibley illegal :thumbdown:

They are charging you/me the tax rate for a NEW July 2007 350z which ours is not, in fact has it even got the same engine or emissions as the engines were changed in 2006 (I believe).

So at the very most it should be classed the same as a UK car of the same age not higher - Band F - just as UK Zeds would be if they are registered before march 2006.

I'm still trying to fight this but these fraudsters (DVLA) wont back down :boxing:

Fancy getting a petition going for all imported Zeds moderators - this is just not right :rant:

It seems crazy that this is the case. Very wrong indeed. If all they care about is date of registration in the UK then they shouldn't be issuing date related plates as this is a contradiction!

Hi,

I have been communicating with the DVLA on this issue... I will keep you posted of the outcome...

You seem to be missing the point. Neither on V149 or on your website does it state "Vehicles registered in the UK on or after 23rd March 2006". V149 states "Cars registered on or after 23rd March 2006" and on your website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... G_10012524 it states exactly the same.

I would like to see where it states that the UK registration date determines the VED band a car is placed in as I can see no reference to it in the Treasury's Budget http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/3/4 ... t_1757.pdf

Incidentally, in that report, note 3 states Band G is for "Cars registered on or after 23rd March 2006". I repeat, my vehicle was registered in 2003 and has a 2003 registration mark.

There is a very real discrepancy here which I want clarifying - How does the registration date in Japan determine the registration mark given to the vehicle but then the UK registration date is used to determine what VED duty is levied.

You have answered that my vehicle was registered 1/10/2006 in the UK and therefore the VED band is correct, yet for the purposes of the registration mark you acknowledge the vehicles true registration date of 2003. Please tell me why the 2003 registration date isn't the same date used for VED purposes? There is an inconsistency here which appears to suggest that the DVLA is interpreting the rules in an unfair way as it would appear there is a grey area here.

I would like to know to whom I can escalate this enquiry.

Hi,

I have been communicating with the DVLA on this issue... I will keep you posted of the outcome...

You seem to be missing the point. Neither on V149 or on your website does it state "Vehicles registered in the UK on or after 23rd March 2006". V149 states "Cars registered on or after 23rd March 2006" and on your website http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... G_10012524 it states exactly the same.

I would like to see where it states that the UK registration date determines the VED band a car is placed in as I can see no reference to it in the Treasury's Budget http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/media/3/4 ... t_1757.pdf

Incidentally, in that report, note 3 states Band G is for "Cars registered on or after 23rd March 2006". I repeat, my vehicle was registered in 2003 and has a 2003 registration mark.

There is a very real discrepancy here which I want clarifying - How does the registration date in Japan determine the registration mark given to the vehicle but then the UK registration date is used to determine what VED duty is levied.

You have answered that my vehicle was registered 1/10/2006 in the UK and therefore the VED band is correct, yet for the purposes of the registration mark you acknowledge the vehicles true registration date of 2003. Please tell me why the 2003 registration date isn't the same date used for VED purposes? There is an inconsistency here which appears to suggest that the DVLA is interpreting the rules in an unfair way as it would appear there is a grey area here.

I would like to know to whom I can escalate this enquiry.

I applaud your attempts here mate but I really can't see any likelihood of you achieving anything other than winding yourself up. I hope I'm wrong.