Clearing paint spots off bodywork?

iwanprice12

Polished the car this morning, amd noticed paint spots from someone that's been pInting there house in a lovely magnolia colour...all over my car! Not a happy bunny, tried 'scratching' the paint spots with my nails, but too many to do this all over the car.

Any advice welcome!

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Clay works, but takes a very long time, depending on the volume of spots.

Here's a pic of the damage I repaired for a chap who owned a ford focus.

IMG_3521.jpg

After

IMG_3532.jpg

You can polish off the paint, but there's also a risk of creating further swirling.

A tip I read up, which can help (if emulsion paint) is to drape very wet towels over the car, and emulsion being water based the paint spots become soft and should be easier to remove. But I took up the clay route.

I've also heard that paint thinners can be used, but I'd like to see the proof in the pudding before applying that to car lacquer.

Edited by Wasso

As a professional painter and decorator I would agree with Wasso , if emulsion paint . Wet it , wet it , wet it. Exterior emulsion or weather shield is a lot tougher than your average lounge paint so soften it with water, then use a micro fibre cloth on it! Not a quick job though.

Wasso's pretty much covered it tbh. I have heard you can use paint thinners as well but it's best only done on more modern cars and tbh I wouldn't really want to use it on my cars paint work. Even in small amounts it's a bit risky.

Clay bar is probably the best & safest option. :thumbs:

[media]

[/media] Edited by GMballistic

Try petrol on a rag....to wipe it...not to burn it. LOL

Really Don't do this !!!

What burn it or use a mildly soaked in petrol rag to clean it?

Best thing to remove tar from your car before giving it a clean....so think will take emulsion off.

Obviously clean the car after to get rid of petrol residue.

Really Don't do this !!!

Best thing to remove tar from your car before giving it a clean....so think will take emulsion off.

Best thing to remove tar spots is "Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover". http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/autoglym/intensive-tar-remover.aspx?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=MerchantCentre&variant=1374&gclid=CLzHx-3ouL0CFanjwgodapkAFQ

Very safe & won't damage the paint. ;)

Really Don't do this !!!

Best thing to remove tar spots is "Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover". http://www.theultima...CFanjwgodapkAFQ

But the petrol in the garage from lawnmower is free :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

• Like 1

But the petrol in the garage from lawnmower is free :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

If your petrol is free, you should put it in the car's petrol tank rather than wiping it all over the paint. :p

Best thing to remove tar spots is "Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover". http://www.theultima...CFanjwgodapkAFQ

Autosmart Tardis is better, h'actually. Fact! :lol:

Autosmart Tardis is better, h'actually. Fact! :lol:

I should have known better than to post in a "detailing" type of thread without waiting for you to post first. :surrender:

I haven't had time to evaluate all the worlds tar removers & test them back to back just yet sorry but what I do know is "Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover" is definitely better than petrol. :lol:

...But it may well be inferior to "Autosmart Tardis". Happy now. :p:D

Hahah! Thanks for the advice :-) i've got a funny feeling it might be masonary paint...(painting going on last week by work! ). Will give the clay a good go i think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Masonry paint is water based , don't use petrol on it! Wet it and it should lift with a little work .

I should have known better than to post in a "detailing" type of thread without waiting for you to post first. :surrender:

I haven't had time to evaluate all the worlds tar removers & test them back to back just yet sorry but what I do know is "Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover" is definitely better than petrol. :lol:

:lol:

The Autoglym stuff works well enough, it's just not quite the "best". :stir: And I just like being awkward as much as anything. :teeth::lol:

• Like 1

:lol:

The Autoglym stuff works well enough, it's just not quite the "best". :stir: And I just like being awkward as much as anything. :teeth::lol:

Protip - Use a spray head on a bottle of AG ITR and it becomes as good as Tardis (IMO). Don't follow the instructions on the bottle which are pants!

Neighbour of mine has yellow paint spots on his black 911 - I'm thinking it might be road paint

i tried 5mins with a clay bar - nothing doing - any advice ?

That doesn't sound good. :scare::surrender:

Does he know when/where he picked them up?

I'd have thought if he can prove that it was from the council painting the road markings then he has a good case for getting them to rectify it no matter what it takes.

Even so it could be like trying to get blood from a stone though. :dry: No idea what would get road paint off sorry?!

Same with the council issue on my car...I'm a teacher and the council were in painting the outside of our canteen...resulting in 'magnolia' type spots right across the car! :angry: :rant: I have ordered a clay bar online now, will give that a try to remove the spots! Advice much appreciated guys!