Headlight Refurb: Meguiars Scratch x 2.0

Darren350

Hey guys,

As the weather was nice I decided to finally get round to giving the car a proper clean. One of the problem areas was the headlights which were seriously dull and cloudy.

I used the same product I used on the rest of the car to polish them up and I think they came up a treat!

I can highly reccomend Meguiars Scratch X 2.0. Cost me 7 quid on ebay.

atebejep.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I should have taken a before picture as they were dreadful lol. Only took a minute per side and the results are great.

Longevity will be interesting though, but even if it only lasts a week thats good enough for me as the effort and cost is next to nothing so doing once a week even is no big deal.

Here is the entire car done with the Scratch X:

u4e3ujyj.jpg

Sods law mind is started pissing down mid wax lol. I didn't get round to using the Dodo Juice Purple Haze as it was getting cloudy so I used some NXT Meguiars spray wax to quickly try and protect the shine.

Will probably need to go over entire car again tomorrow lol

That stuff works WONDERS on scratches mind. I had a few scuffs on the rear bumper that are now literally invisible.

• Like 1

Quick question how did you guys apply it? By hand or machine and what with?

Cheers Hawker

You can do either, just obviously more hard work by hand.

I'd recommend using one of those little applicator pads if by hand, then MF cloth to buff it up.

I did it by hand. If you use a machine it will obviously be easier. Depending on the severity of the cloudiness machine MAY be the only choice but to be fair mine were pretty damn bad and a little bit of elbow grease did the job.

Scratch x is an abrasive cleaner, this means it'll have taken every layer of wax and polish off of the car and taken a very fine layer of paint off. That's fine but you now have only the extremely thin layer of spray wax between the paint and the elements... Which IMO is not enough to protect it. If you are going to take all the paint protection off you need to know you are going to be able to get a fresh lot on before driving it again. I would say a nice polish (non abrasive) and then a wax such as the purple haze you have. It is quite likely that you'll need to clay bar it before you polish/wax now as the paint will have picked up lots of dirt without the protection it needs.

I personally hate abrasive cleaners, they take paint away to even the surface level out and it's incredibly hard to do this evenly by hand. I prefer to build up my layers of polish and wax to fill the swirl marks up, evening the paint surface up. If it's really bad I'd give it to a detailer and ask them to machine polish it. I know it costs money, but then it's a pretty car that was obviously not going to be free to take care of :shrug:

Did the entire car today with a little Dodo Juice Purple Haze panel pot, a few hours later it pi**ed down and the water just beaded and came straight off!

Cracking stuff and only cost a fiver or so off of ebay!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Scratch x is a rubbing compound so it'll remove the oxidisation on the headlight lenses, if you use that on paint it needs to be sealed really with a half decent wax and on a black car I'd highly recommend the Megs Gold Class.

Also a quick tip - after polishing the headlights with the scratch x give them a coat of wax to keep them protected