oil checks HELP

nath8642

I know this may sound daft but when checking oil in my 350z I find it hard to get a good reading as when looking at the dipstick it doesnt look like one of the best manufactured piece of kit there is it bends in all directions and when I pull it out I cant get a good reading as oil get everywhere on its way out. Anyone else had this problem and how did you overcome it and how do you know your running low on oil?

It's a load of crap, that dipstick. Best thing to do is to drain the oil completely, then refill and measure: That way you'll have a 100% guarantee that what you're seeing on the stick, however odd, is what a full sump looks like.

The other trick is to paint the end of the stick white, with Tipp-Ex or similar. Much easier to read then :)

• Like 1

I think this topic is notorious on the forum. A lot of people think it's hard to read, personally I think it's fine. I'd say just make sure you clean it off once pull out and try 2 or 3 times. if the reading is the same 2 or 3 times then that's the level. You just need to get to know it :)

yeah I guess so I would have looked but im on my phone and its a right pain scrolling down and zooming in on the forums. Are they notoriouse for running out alot and burning it off if not ill just leave it for the service in a couple of months

Non-revup DE and HR cars aren't known for using a lot of oil, but you should still check on a fortnightly basis at the very least. Definitely not leaving it a couple of months! It's a pain, but you'll have to learn to read the stick.

Strangely enough, I was reading the 150th ed of banzai on the crapper this morning and came across an article about Milners nanotech. According to the article and a few others I have read it's good for enhancing the performance by a few ponies. Yes please!

Edited by Rock_Steady

You need 5W-30 mate.

The brand is up to you but personally I buy from Opie Oils, and I get Fuchs Titan Race Pro S 5W-30.

Yep this is what I'd recommend.

The dipstick is a very bad design, but I really don't understand how so many people have trouble reading it. :shrug:

- As on any car, park on a level surface.

- Do it when the engine is cold so the oil has settled and is at its thickest.

- Pull the dipstick out in one move, without turning it.

- Once out, quickly read the level.

- Its a lot easier if once its out you flip it over and read the level on the back of the stick. :thumbs:

If your struggling to see the level its probably not right, i.e too high or too low.

As Dan said, do not leave it months without checking it. Personally every week, or before any long journey.

Not sure I would put tip-ex on it for fear of it coming off in the oil :scare: Heat/oil resistant paint ...maybe.