M5 at auction

Dan

I got all moist and excited at the auction on Thursday.

I spotted a 55 plate M5 in Silver with 14,000 miles. Car looked split mint so I called Simon ( my salesman ) at the office and had him check on-line how much similar cars were selling for.

I always do this when I'm not sure what something is worth, it's far more reliable than Glass's guide...Glass's said the car was £46k trade and yet you can buy one from a dealer for that which obviously tells me that people are paying less than £43k for them.

Anyway, Simon said they were starting around £46,000 and running up to £49,995 so I had a rough idea what to pay for it.

I waited patiently - it was one of the last cars in, as usual.

The auctioneer then announced that it was a 3 owner car and had its running in inspection done at 2800 miles, and therefore the manufacturers warranty may well be invalidated. It had not seen a dealer since.

That was pretty much the end of my interest, I wasn't buying it with that sort of history.

And yet it still made £43,000, plus the auctions fees.

Having said that, I was at the most expensive auction in the UK, I don't really know why I bother going to that one because you can't buy anything for sensible money.

But now I really want an M5 :-)

The thing looked the dogs danglies up close.

M5 better car to drive, M6 heavier

Wrong way round mate. The M6 is lighter. Why do you think they charge £82k for one. The 6 series uses many weight saving devices such as alloy bonnet, plastic wings and boot, full alloy doors, full alloy suspnsion and sub frames plus the M6 has a carbon fibre roof which the M5 doesn't have.

My car weighs only 10 % more than a Zed... :thumbs: And thats a MY05. Apparently an MY06 Zed is even heavier at 1600 + kg.... :scare:

blood hell though, they are heavy mofos :scare:

Compared to what?

The MY06 Zed is over 1600 kg, which is crazy for a 2 seater, that's 2 Elise's.....:lol:

Thats like comparing iron to lead. The only thing that makes a Zed look light is a 4x4! ;)

blood hell though, they are heavy mofos :scare:

Compared to what?

The MY06 Zed is over 1600 kg, which is crazy for a 2 seater, that's 2 Elise's.....:lol:

whatcar reports the 07 Z as 1490 kg :)

http://www.whatcar.com/car-review-perfo ... =51533&U=0

That's about 5 bags of cement less than 1600 ;)

This was posted up by someone else. Just checked Nissan wedsite out of curiosity. An MY05 weighs 1534 kg unladen for a coupe and 1647 kg for a roadster.

The MY07 Z is 1,603Kg for the basic version and 1,623Kg for the GT version according to european specs! Add a couple of kilos for the UK version (down to the folding mirrors and alarm system). That's one heavy mother!

BTW, these weights are according to EU norms, which include a 90% fuel tank, and 75Kg for a passenger and luggage. BMW always quote weights according to this formula. A MY05 Z is 1,525Kg for the basic version and 1,545Kg for the GT version, though I'm not sure if this is according to EU norms or not.

An M5 or M6 is extremely light compared with the Z in terms of what's packed inside (equipment, size, not to mention a 5.0 V10 B) )

The MY07 Z is 1,603Kg for the basic version and 1,623Kg for the GT version according to european specs! Add a couple of kilos for the UK version (down to the folding mirrors and alarm system). That's one heavy mother!

BTW, these weights are according to EU norms, which include a 90% fuel tank, and 75Kg for a passenger and luggage. BMW always quote weights according to this formula. A MY05 Z is 1,525Kg for the basic version and 1,545Kg for the GT version, though I'm not sure if this is according to EU norms or not.

An M5 or M6 is extremely light compared with the Z in terms of what's packed inside (equipment, size, not to mention a 5.0 V10 B) )

Thanks for clarifying this. Personally I've always felt the Zed is a bit heavy for what it is and it's dissapointing to see the weight going up.

My Bimmer is lighter than an M6 at 1715kg so only 92 kg heavier than a GT MY07, i.e. only 6% heavier and it's considerably bigger.

A MY05 Z is 1,525Kg for the basic version and 1,545Kg for the GT version, though I'm not sure if this is according to EU norms or not.

yeah it's weight incl 80kg passenger, fluids etc.

btw I'm not saying an M5 is heavy compared to something else, I'm saying it's heavy as it's over 1.7 tonnes full stop! :scare: That's heavy.