SGS Gas Struts &/or Trolley Jack

KurtB

Hmmm, just been to look at my car and the boots not closing flush, its raised up a couple of cm. I can just about see into the boot is I look along the rear quarter window. Its the hinge end that is not flush the catch end is find.

Which way round have people installed their rods? I've got the thinner end attached to the car and the wider end attached to the boot, its the opposite way round to the way my OEMs were attached. I couldn't get the thinner end onto the ball attachment on the boot panel. I'm using the ball attachment that came with the new struts as I snapped the OEM one off when I took the old struts off

**** Okay, had my brackets on the wrong way round - all fixed now.

Edited by Randy_Baton
  • Like 1

Hmmm, just been to look at my car and the boots not closing flush, its raised up a couple of cm. I can just about see into the boot is I look along the rear quarter window. Its the hinge end that is not flush the catch end is find.

Which way round have people installed their rods? I've got the thinner end attached to the car and the wider end attached to the boot, its the opposite way round to the way my OEMs were attached. I couldn't get the thinner end onto the ball attachment on the boot panel. I'm using the ball attachment that came with the new struts as I snapped the OEM one off when I took the old struts off

**** Okay, had my brackets on the wrong way round - all fixed now.

My boyfriend put the first bracket upside down & he said I don't like how that looks .... I said that's cause it's the wrong way round !! Ha Ha

I held the boot open for him & it was that heavy that I started to go faint & thought I was gonna pass out !! I have got a Nismo spoiler fitted to mine though !! lol

Edited by Sarahhp18

I basically held it open with my head. Probably a few inches shorter now.

:lol: Haven't had a chance to fit it yet, was it easy?

How hard was it to remove the old one off the top spherical? Just gonna undo the bolts off the bracket at the bottom on the old one rather than trying to pop that off too.

Edited by KurtB

I just used all the new brackets, it's quiet hard to click the top ball socket into the bracket, everything else looked fairly easy. Had to push boot up as high as possible to be able to unbolt bottom brackets.

Even with new struts still have to give the boot abit of a helping hand to initially push up. Still doesn't pop open enough to open fully. Have to pop & lift at the same time. Maybe need new pop thingys but think might be just because Nismo spoilers heavy ?? & poss new bits won't make a difference.

Edited by Sarahhp18

I just used all the new brackets, it's quiet hard to click the top ball socket into the bracket, everything else looked fairly easy. Had to push boot up as high as possible to be able to unbolt bottom brackets.

Even with new struts still have to give the boot abit of a helping hand to initially push up. Still doesn't pop open enough to open fully. Have to pop & lift at the same time. Maybe need new pop thingys but think might be just because Nismo spoilers hea?? & posts new bits won't make a difference.

Thats nothing to do with the struts it a problem with the poppers.

Have a look at what I did a day or two ago in the post "What mods have you done today" that will solve your problem. :thumbs:

Will the poppers fix it even with the weight of the Nismo spoiler?

Try this first. if not PM peteman35 for an uprated set.

Got a set of uprated boot poppers from peteman35 on here, they work perfectly until I park on a slope like my parking spaces outside my house. Solved that by glueing two washers and painting them black onto the flat bit the poppers sit on. Now opens regardless of the slope. Job done.!

tubu3a3e.jpg

Edited by WhackyWill

How much are uprated ones?

PM Pete, I think about £15 to up-rate yours which he will do. Well worth it. :thumbs:

Do you send them away then to be modified as such ??

He may be able to just exchange them JUST PM him,he will give you all the answers. :surrender:

I have an OEM spoiler uprated struts and uprated poppers and my boot pops past the catch but i still need to give a little tickle to get it to open the rest of the way. I have to push it maybe 10-20 cm but then it lifts the rest of the way on its own. Actually I have been parked on a slope since I installed so maybe its that!

In answer to the guy who asked how hard it is to get the old struts off the top spherical. I just wiggled mine until the ball broke off. I was holding up the boot with my head so didn't have the best leverage!

I have an OEM spoiler uprated struts and uprated poppers and my boot pops past the catch but i still need to give a little tickle to get it to open the rest of the way. I have to push it maybe 10-20 cm but then it lifts the rest of the way on its own. Actually I have been parked on a slope since I installed so maybe its that!

In answer to the guy who asked how hard it is to get the old struts off the top spherical. I just wiggled mine until the ball broke off. I was holding up the boot with my head so didn't have the best leverage!

Cheers, about an hour ago I had a look at it and noticed the spherical bit can be removed from the boot (for some reason I thought it was mounted directly!)

It was a bit tight so I've soaked it in WD40 and will give it a go tommorow :)

On the old struts, if you use a knife, or some scissors to remove the old metal ring thing around the balle end, the rod just pops off, not a difficult job, but then again I've done these like 3 times on various cars.

Wizurd, let me know if these still don't arrive Monday and il message SGS with yours & wills issue and see what we can get sorted out. They're tracked by UKmail so id assume they can find them. Maybe drop me another message confirming your address too so I can double check they sent it to the right place.

• Like 1

Just contacted Dave about the two issues and got this back :)

Hi Chris,

I am sorry to hear that a couple of members have experienced problems; I have passed this on to our head of Customer Services; he will resolve the issues for you swiftly.

Kind Regards,

Dave Gordon | Gas Strut Sales

• Like 1

Right, both (known) issues sorted out.

The courier couldn't find Wizurd's place,. so its being re-dispatched today for delivery tomorrow.

@Whackywill - They're going to send you another puck, but if possible, could you email scott@sgs-engineering.co.uk pictures of the damaged box if you still have it.

• Like 1

The courier couldn't find Wizurd's place,. so its being re-dispatched today for delivery tomorrow.

@Whackywill - They're going to send you another puck, but if possible, could you email scott@sgs-engineering.co.uk pictures of the damaged box if you still have it.

No problem Chris, still have the box with the jack still in it,

looks like the rear wheels just came through the box, I'll send them this photo. :blush:

No problem Chris, still have the box with the jack still in it,

looks like the rear wheels just came through the box, I'll send them this photo. :blush:

syqu6u5e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk