MOT fail - headlight washers....

evest

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but with xenon headlights you must have headlight washers and if fitted, they have to work - someting to do with dirty xenon headlights causing dazzle. Fair enough - however my arguement of "but my headlights are never dirty" didn't hold much sway!

Yep, and I think the words "oh for f@ck's sake" actually came out of my mouth... :rant:

Well, they do work when they're connected, but I disconnected mine because they're a PITA and keep sticking out... but, there goes a couple of hours connecting them back up again...

So... what's the deal with aftermarker bumpers? :shrug:

Aftermarket bumper = you don't need them because they're not fitted ;)

Wish me luck next month for my mot. It's a little different in NI where if Xenons are fitted you must have working washers. I have a V2 with no washers fitted, oops lol

Edited by KyleR

Find yourself a friendly tester, when i had my JDM bumper on (no washers), my tester said, "Since there are no obvious washers, I can't fail you for something you obviously don't have ;) "

Seems like a grey area to me - the manual states that 'where fitted, they must work' ok - fair enough. But if they're not fitted what then? It only says that cars with xenon headlights may be fitted with washers - not that they must be??

I asked if I reomoved the system altoghether, would I then be exempt from the test - the guy said no.

As suggested, I guess I need to find the right guy.

Yes, some confusion about this. As I read it, if your car was fitted with headlight washers at the factory then they must be present and working. However, mine passed the MOT in January 2013 with them frozen solid. I phoned up the MOT station to ask if I should reschedule (as my ordinary washers were also frozen)"No", he said, "we can use some discretion when it's well below zero otherwise during cold spells we'd hardly pass anything". As far as checking if you've ever had washers fitted, this particular garage didn't check but some will.

Pete