Track day tyre options

Tomb

I'm thinking of doing a track day this week, but my current toyo tyres only have just over a mm of tread left.

Will they be alright on the track?

I know the ideal thing to do would be to replace them but I want to do all four at the same time and replace them with Michelin pss and that will have to wait til next months pay packet.

Just looking for some options and advice really

Thanks in advance.

T1Rs are awful on track, they'll melt within the first session. Ghastly things to use on track.

Chuck the MPSS on a credit card and pay it off next month.

Ahh the solution to all tyre problems - the credit card :lol:

You can make a set of part worn tyres last a whole day on track - don't go over 80 on the straights brake early and no fast corners :dry:

In other words on a hot day on track with hard driving 1mm of tread is probably not going to make it a fun day out, don't forget you have to drive home after and if you melt them that's not going to be a fun trip either!

I run 888's on track but not on road so the MPSS would be a better shout if your doing both :)

• Like 1

Awesome just the guy I was hopping to hear from (after looking through other tyre threads)

Yeah found them pretty shoddy as well to be fair but they came on the car so I thought I'd get the most of them until they need changing.

Ekona can you recommend a decent tyre all round for around the £500 mark? Or is it really worth spending the extra cash on the MPSS?

You can make a set of part worn tyres last a whole day on track - don't go over 80 on the straights brake early and no fast corners :dry:

In other words on a hot day on track with hard driving 1mm of tread is probably not going to make it a fun day out, don't forget you have to drive home after and if you melt them that's not going to be a fun trip either!

Yeah doesn't sound like great fun to me haha

Looks like il hold out for a bit.

Edited by Tomb

Tinterwebz

I take it your not a fan then? was just exploring my options :)

The MPSS are the obvious choice but I'm debating getting a set of 19's in the summer.

Gahhh I need to earn more money!!

Edited by Tomb

Tinterwebz

I take it your not a fan then? was just exploring my options :)

The MPSS are the obvious choice but I'm debating getting a set of 19's in the summer.

Gahhh I need to earn more money!!

Doesnt hurt to explore options mate, there are plenty of good tyres out there, every tyre company has to start somewhere and not so long ago no one would have put lowly Federals on their car if they wanted any form of grip, but the rsr's are highly regarded, same goes for the Nankang's, another budget brand moving up it would seem, not read a bad report from anyone who has actually used them during some digging around yesterday. Obviously you get some usually moronic ditchfinder comments, on another well known forum i saw a lovely reply from Docwra to one such foolish comment.

With regards to the Federals and Nankangs, it would certainly appear that the two companies are chucking good money at their track tyres and certainly both are viable options now. I still prefer the 888s, but if they're only for track use then I'd certainly consider the others as contenders.

What worries me is that people will use these halo tyres as an assumption that their common or garden tyres are great as well. Which, to be frank, they're not. Whole other kettle of fish though, and not relevant to this conversation.

With regards to the Federals and Nankangs, it would certainly appear that the two companies are chucking good money at their track tyres and certainly both are viable options now. I still prefer the 888s, but if they're only for track use then I'd certainly consider the others as contenders.

What worries me is that people will use these halo tyres as an assumption that their common or garden tyres are great as well. Which, to be frank, they're not. Whole other kettle of fish though, and not relevant to this conversation.

What were your thoughts on the Federal and Nankangs track offerings when you had them, was it just track or road use as well, dry & wet conditions? What sort of mileage did you get out of a set?

I've only used the RSRs on the road for a brief drive, on a mate's MR2. They were good, perhaps a smidge more feel than the 888s but with slightly less initial turn in and ultimately less grip, but we're talking road speeds here not full-on track stuff like they're intended for. He was getting approx 5K miles from a set of rears, so roughly the same as the 888s which is about fair I think. I only drove it in the dry, but he used them all year round with no issue. He did then go back to the 888s, which probably says it all I guess.

I've only used the RSRs on the road for a brief drive, on a mate's MR2. They were good, perhaps a smidge more feel than the 888s but with slightly less initial turn in and ultimately less grip, but we're talking road speeds here not full-on track stuff like they're intended for. He was getting approx 5K miles from a set of rears, so roughly the same as the 888s which is about fair I think. I only drove it in the dry, but he used them all year round with no issue. He did then go back to the 888s, which probably says it all I guess.

Surprised to hear they lacked grip, but maybe thats down to car set up or car, i struggled to get them to loose grip on my Rx7, road and track and for the money, i dont think they can be beat. Will be trying the Nankangs this year for sure :)