New Y Pipe and de-cats...

JoshC

Recently noticed my exhaust blowing, had it up on the ramp in a mates garage and the flexi's have gone so planning to replace the whole Y pipe section while I'm at it. Don't want to spend a fortune and I've spoted some cheap enough stainless steel units on eBay for £130, the seller is Toyosports. Does anyone know if these are decent quality or should I look for something else and will a stainless steel y pipe improve the sound at all? I'll also probably need the fitting kit to replace the gaskets, where's the best place tio get these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190617021534?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

At the same time I'm tempted to fit some de-cat pipes. I don't know where to start with these, again don't want to spend a fortune on them and also don't want any warning lights coming on, is there any way around this?

So, firstly I want advise on my best option for getting the Y pipe fixed then if possible for a reaonsable price some advice on de-cats that won't bring on warning lights?

Cheers :)

35B906F8-D5EB-433D-B80F-992CDF8463C7-269-00000027CD69D1CC_zpsc0a93969.jpg

I recently had a new Y pipe custom made and fitted at my local exhaust place for £200 all in.

So it was either £130 for a cheap version off eBay, plus gaskets, bolts etc, plus fitting costs or £200 for a guaranteed fabricated one. As Kevin nBacon would say - "No brainer". :wacko:

Exhaust snobbery ! I've had a toyosport exhaust fitted for 3 years without a problem :teeth:

fair enough the system i had for my S14 used to rub and bang on the underside of the car and the one my mate got for his civic was about 6 inches to long for the car

Cheers guys! I'll speak to a few local custom exhaust places then and see what my best options are! Can anyone reccomend any in South Wales? I've used Longlife Caerphilly and Welsh Coast Customs (powerflow) on previous cars...

Exhaust snobbery ! I've had a toyosport exhaust fitted for 3 years without a problem :teeth:

I agree with this guy, i dont have a zed yet but the whole turbo system on my del sol is mainly toyosport, plus you get a 2 year warrenty with most of their stuff so its not like you cant send it back lol

Just spoken to a few local custom places and booked it in at Pro Speed Cardiff! Always heard they've had a very good rep down here and price was very good £156 all in!

Only query I have, he says when he's worked on 350Z's in the past he's opted to remove 1 of the flexi's on the Y-Pipe and he says 1 flexi will comfortably do the job of 2? Obviously he said he's happy to fit 2 for me (not sure at what extra cost) but advised me to go for the 1 as he says you don't need 2 and it of course brings the cost down. What do people think about this?

• 1 month later...

Hey man did you get it done in the end? Im in cardiff too.. 156 is good price.. Hmm if thats the case go no flexi so its like the stillen ypipe.

Hi mate! YEah I got it donw, £156 all in and they did a top job tbf, good guys down at Pro speed too, even got a nice green Almera banger as a courtsesy car for the day! haha!

I think he just went for the 1 flexi in the end :)

Hey man did you get it done in the end? Im in cardiff too.. 156 is good price.. Hmm if thats the case go no flexi so its like the stillen ypipe.

Hi mate! YEah I got it donw, £156 all in and they did a top job tbf, good guys down at Pro speed too, even got a nice green Almera banger as a courtsesy car for the day! haha!

I think he just went for the 1 flexi in the end :)

Yeah went down n spoke to him yesterday told me same thing, said he would put a longer flexi on oneside.. I asked if he could just put it at the bottom of why but he said it would be pointless needs to be in the actual Y so that it reduces flex and stops manifolds from cracking or something like that. Got a quote of 500 for full system from cat back. His work looks good so im still deciding Y or full system. Did you notice any rasping or is the sound better? ,

35B906F8-D5EB-433D-B80F-992CDF8463C7-269-00000027CD69D1CC_zpsc0a93969.jpg

I recently had a new Y pipe custom made and fitted at my local exhaust place for £200 all in.

So it was either £130 for a cheap version off eBay, plus gaskets, bolts etc, plus fitting costs or £200 for a guaranteed fabricated one. As Kevin nBacon would say - "No brainer". :wacko:

Hmm, that Y pipe does not exactly look flow friendly, from that picture its looks like there is almost a 90 degree bend in it to meet up with the central pipe. It maybe just the picture, but if you look at something like the Stillen one, it has nice gentle curves to help flow, and where it meets the central pipe, its nice and gentle.

I see and understand what you mean Daryl. Shame you didn't mention this a week ago, I'd have taken a better pic as the car was up on ramps Saturday being Waxoyl'd/undersealed (as you can probably see - it was needed).:lol:

The pipe isn't quite a T pipe - it is still more of a Y pipe with the 2 pieces coming from the flexi's and meeting the centre section at an angle. Whatever losses may have been made with the angles of the join, I figure they have been compensated by the diameter of the pipe used (it's 3 inch so wider than stock).