20.5" wheels and 24.5" tyres.... looking a bit deflated

ostego

Have noticed my front tyres are looking a bit deflated, know i cant refer to the manual as theyre not stock

Have seen the sticky saying to put them at 35psi and work my way up... but what sort of signs should i be looking out for to let me know ive got the right sort of psi?

Should i bring all tyres to the same psi or is it recommended to vary it between the front and rear?

They say 50psi max on the tyres.... but think that is a bit overkill!

So i go to pump up my tyres and put the first one from 26 psi to 35 psi.... go to do the rest and cant get the metal cap off them no matter how hard i try... have used plyers a 10mm wrench and wd40 and those ****ers are not budging.... anyone know a remedy for this? Or is it a case of an expensive visit to a tyre shop?

Wait, what are you doing? Or trying to do?

Remove valve cap. Pump up to 35psi, as indicated on pump gauge. Replace cap. It's the easiest thing in the world to do on cars, except filling the fuel tank.

24.5"??? I think you may have you're numbers mixed up dude

24.5 diameter from my measuring tape!

Will go for 35 all round then, as long as it wont do any harm!

Why are you using a measuring tape may I ask ?

Its not that difficult.... i have metal dust caps that must be removed in order to attach the pump to the tyre.... much in the same way one would unscrew the dust caps on a bike tyre to pump them up and get at the valve....

3 of my 4 metal dust caps are simply impossible to unscrew.... i have tried unscrewing them with tools and using wd40 in an attempt to loosen them.... but they are stuck firm so i cannot now pump up my remaining 3 tyres

Because it has lines on it that can be used to gauge the length of objects.... so it just sort of made sense

Right, basically someone has fitted cheap-ass caps to your valves that have seized on. Now you have to go to a tyre fitters, get them cut off and new ones put on.

I still don't get what you're measuring.

Back to the valve caps.....

Are they round or nut shaped?

If they are nut shaped they may have a little allen key grub screw in them as an anti theft deterrent.

If not try holding the stem of the valve with grips and the cap with a spanner/grips.

Don't go mad though as you can snap the end of the valve off!

I assume these are your wheels from a previous thread.

Edit plus what Dan says

Edited by leonk

Right, basically someone has fitted cheap-ass caps to your valves that have seized on. Now you have to go to a tyre fitters, get them cut off and new ones put on.

I still don't get what you're measuring.

me too!!??

Please post a picture of your car please.

Because it has lines on it that can be used to gauge the length of objects.... so it just sort of made sense

Also don't try and come with smart answers as you're already making yourself look like a complete idiot using a measuring tape to measure your wheels. The wheel size is written in simple terms on the tyre wall!

Back to the valve caps.....

Are they round or nut shaped?

If they are nut shaped they may have a little allen key grub screw in them as an anti theft deterrent.

If not try holding the stem of the valve with grips and the cap with a spanner/grips.

Don't go mad though as you can snap the end of the valve off!

Edit plus what Dan says

Theyre nut shaped... tried REALLY hard to get the off... using pliers and a screwdriver with a 10mm nut head adaptor thing.... think i may have put the rubber under a lot of stress, so dont want to try any harder.

Any idea how much it would cost me to get the valves replaced?

Also don't try and come with smart answers as you're already making yourself look like a complete idiot using a measuring tape to measure your wheels. The wheel size is written in simple terms on the tyre wall!

Cant see it... so i used a measuring tape just to measure the diameter of the tyre from one side to the other.... know its not the right way but its just what i did! Didnt realize it would cause such a commotion

Posted · Hidden by Lexx, March 6, 2014 - f
Hidden by Lexx, March 6, 2014 - f

From what I can gather, you are trying to measure the height of your tyre wall from the floor in an attempt to gather what pressure the 3 tyres you cannot get the caps off are in comparison to the one you can.

If this is the case, you sir are an eejit.

Are you referring the what is written on the side of your tyre? ie 245/35/18 or whatever?

If so, you need to go do some Googling. the 35 part is not a measurement directly. It's a percentage of the 245 width.

More to the point, it has feck all to do with tyre pressure.

By 35 i mean psi

By 20.5 i mean the diameter of the wheel in inches

By 24.5 i mean the distance between one outer edge of the tyre to the other (2 inches of tyre on either side of the wheel) in inches

Am sorry for all of the confusion vreated by this.... but it is no longer relevant. I have decided to go for 35psi pressure but am now faced with 3 stuck dust caps

Just for future reference, the best way to measure the pressure is with a pressure guage. As you are not mechanically minded, the best thing to do is get to a tyre fitters and get new valves. This is going to cost between £10 and £15 pounds per wheel. Better this than end up with a bigger problem because you can't get air in or check the pressures.

Edited by leonk

By 35 i mean psi

By 24.5 i mean the distance between one outer edge of the tyre to the other (2 inches of tyre on either side of the wheel) in inches

Am sorry for all of the confusion vreated by this.... but it is no longer relevant. I have decided to go for 35psi pressure but am now faced with 3 stuck dust caps

Ok....but what the hell have the wheel sizes got to do with tyre pressures?!

THAT'S what has confused us all.

By 35 i mean psi

Ok....but what the hell have the wheel sizes got to do with tyre pressures?!

THAT'S what has confused us all.

Ooh, fair shout... didnt really know tbh.... was assuming that if the wheel was bigger, it may mean the pressure would need to be different from that with a smaller wheel given the lower volume of air that can be fitted in the tyre... but i guess the nature of pressure as a unit makes that irrelevant thinking about it!

Was just trying to be thorough... not purposely trying to drive everyone mad :)!

Edited by ostego