roadster roof

leebottrill

I've noticed that a couple of times now my roof will stop retracting in the last stage on the process! I close it and do it again and its fine, just kind of clicked back into place! Just Spoken to the Nissan lady and she said that's quite common and nothing to worry about! Anyone else had this?

you mean when you are opening it or closing it? if you mean you are opening it and it gets almost open then stops its common and its down to the cold weather.

the roof material is quite stiff and although the manual says it will operate down to 5 degrees in reality thats more like 10 degrees! unless you can park the car in a sunny spot on a cold winters day to warm the roof or have the heaters on full bore in the car for a while to heat the roof it will not fully open in cold weather and you can damage the roof by trying to force it.

if its stopping when you are trying to close it thats a different one and not one i have heard of

Edited by SteveM

no need to panic then.... like i said either park the car in the sun for a bit to warm the roof or have the heaters on in the car for a while to warm it from the inside out... its a pain sometimes that on nice crisp cold sunny days you cant get the roof down but its just the way it is with the roof material that Nissan used.

:thumbs:

Yep perfectly normal. You can reach back and give it a bit of a shove, or close it slightly then reopen. Id be wary of trying to force it too much. As others have said, I found it was down to the cold weather. The stiffer roof material seemed to strain the motors a bit more. It was fine in the summer. :thumbs:

• Like 2

Why would you want the roof down under 5 degrees :shrug:

Because on a cold crisp sunny day with a jacket and wooly hat on it feels great to be out with the roof down

Well that and the fact that like Wil370 Steve can look over the windscreen while driving a roadster with the roof down :)

• Like 3

Driving the roadster on cool, sunny mornings, nothing better, especially if you have a quality exhaust fitted and you can hear that V6!

Like all the other comments, the roof is reluctance to close at low temps. Best remedy, I have found, is to park in a sunny spot, give it 15 minutes for the solar UV to heat up the black canvas hood, and then it will close, no problem!

Tip: if the canvas roof flexes at the last section, nearest the boot, when you push it slightly, you are good to go! And then enjoy your Zed!

Driving the roadster on cool, sunny mornings, nothing better, especially if you have a quality exhaust fitted and you can hear that V6!

Like all the other comments, the roof is reluctance to close at low temps. Best remedy, I have found, is to park in a sunny spot, give it 15 minutes for the solar UV to heat up the black canvas hood, and then it will close, no problem!

Tip: if the canvas roof flexes at the last section, nearest the boot, when you push it slightly, you are good to go! And then enjoy your Zed!

Or get a mohair roof fitted and never worry again!

Agreed its due to cold, bit of a nightmare really but worth it to hear the sound!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohh as far a keeping the roof well lubed, what and where should I apply the spray? I'm assuming it would be some kind of silicone spray? Also to keep the hood in good condition is there a good spray you can apply?

I used to treat my roof every 4 months with some AutoGlym cabriolet roof kit. There was a special cleaner solution you scrubbed into it first, let it dry then spray on this sealant stuff which waterproofed and conditioned the roof. Kept my roof looking brand spanking new.

As for roof down in winter. I used to love it. Made that boring journey home from work much better, gazing up at the stars etc. You stick the heaters on and they are pretty good so your driving along in a nice bubble of warm air. :thumbs:

Edited by rabbitstew

Agree with the Autoglym roof treatment, have used it on my 2006 roadster with good results.

I understand that Renovo is a superior product, but haven't used it yet. Sorry if that's off topic, and should maybe in the detailing section.

Been out the last 2 days in the great weather with the top down and enjoying that great V6 sound!!!