Waiting game

Simonsca4

About 4 weeks ago I hit some fairly deep standing water. Car squealed and then was fine........and then, surprise surprise,a few days later, " limp mode " flat battery, wipers not working, headlights on as soon as ignition is on, every thing lit up on the dash, no rev counter and a speedo that dips down to 20mph when it feels like it!!!!

I took it to my regular garage who had it overnight, they gave it back to me in the same condition unable to get anywhere with it, they suggested that I should take it to Neeesarn.

I'm guessing that an alternator power fluctuation and water have caused brain damage to my Z.

I am currently sitting here waiting for the dreaded phone call from Neeeesarn........gulp!

I would first disconnect the battery and leave overnight,then see what happens when you re-connect.

Replaced the battery with a spanking new one which is now flat. I don't get it at all. Volt gauge says battery charging OK, the battery light is not on, probably one of the only lights that isn't, its like the power is just draining away :headhurt:

I think what firemansim means is when you disconnect the battery and leave it over night or 24 hours (can't remember which it is!) it should reset everything when you reconnect the battery. Worth a try :)

I took the old dead battery out and waited for the new one to arrive, which was 2 days later. Imagine my massive disappointment, when nothing changed :rant: I've tried all the simple things, connections, fuses, bits hanging off!!!!

What about water getting into that hidden fuse box near/underneath the battery? sure I read on here someone having similar weird problems and it was all down to water getting in there and causing some sort of problem. The video below shows the fuse box I'm on about.

[media]

[/media]

Maybe I'm miles off but just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

Sorry to read about your headache.. A friend of mine Had a similar problem on his zed a few years back, I will find out as much info I can for you. If you need anything replaced I may decide to Split a damaged car I have as I doubt very much I will find time to repair it. I'm on the search for a nice 370 but that's another story! Best of luck buddy I hope theres light at the end of the tunnel.

What about water getting into that hidden fuse box near/underneath the battery? sure I read on here someone having similar weird problems and it was all down to water getting in there and causing some sort of problem. The video below shows the fuse box I'm on about.

Maybe I'm miles off but just thought I'd throw it out there. Good luck :thumbs:

Was it this thread GMB?

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/81512-limp-mode-with-all-braking-lights/

Thanks for all your best wishes guys!

Got the call this morning and having overnighted my Z in the warm and cosy Neesarn towers all is now well!!!! They found heavy condensation in the IPDM and heavy corrosion on the connectors which was causing witchcraft all over my Z. Now dried out and sprinkled with Neesarns secret herbs and spices, bench tested, road tested she lives again. Alternator belt needed adjusting, output OK, Battery tested OK and as this turned out not to be a financial catastrophe, I let them reset my drivers door window, you know what I'm talking about. Topped up the oil and all for under £300. Now from my perspective having had the last 4 weeks of fear and torment over this, I conclude that this is a result.

It only goes to show, if you take it to the guys who have the magic book of Neesarn fables they know exactly where to look and I have to say I will be returning there in future, yes it costs more but they always do a good job and Ive seen it said on here, if you can find a good main dealer they are worth the money!!!!

Edited by Simonsca4
  • Like 1

Picked her up and happy days are here again! :) :) :)

So that good old IPDM behind the battery seems to be a bit prone to water ingress. Feel quite lucky really as it seems to be the root cause of a lot of electrical skulduggery. Admittedly you shouldn't drive your Z into 4 inches of standing water at 60mph .......but does seem to be a bit of a weak point and can cause a nightmare of misleading symptoms but like a lot of cars on the way back from the dealer, they should now be well in the rear view mirror ! B)