Engine.. smoke exhaust

adam1942

So my cars been drinking quite a bit of oil in the last few months and its getting worse.. I only did around 700-800 miles last month and it drank about 2.5 litres (hard to tell on that dip stick!)

This morning I started it and for about the first 20 seconds it was clearly just burning oil.. this stopped. The car currently drives fine and pulls to the red line as normal.

I have a VQ35DE Up rev motor and I know that its common to use a lot of oil but is it common to use THAT much? Also what would the first 20 seconds burning oil suggest? Is the engine knackered and should I start saving for a new one?

Cheers

Adam.

Bugger.. Oh well needs must :) Gutted as I was looking at getting rid of it in June and buying this (www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/audi/rs4/audi-a4-b7-rs4-quattro---------------2007/1925350) if it was still for sale.

Any guide lines on prices Russ?

Im sure the oil will seep through onto the pistons with the plug holes full of oil though, I reckon thats where your problem lies fella

I really can't see it being that, spark plugs have to make an air tight seal to keep up compression in the head so no oil would be getting by,

The first thing you should do is to do a compression test on the engine and try and determine whether it's low or not, if it is then I'm afraid it's going to be expensive

Stick a can of "Restore" in it and see how it goes.

Does that stuff actually work?! I don't really get how an oil could fill up holes in metal?! :wacko:

I had a Volvo v70 that had 200K + on the clock and smoked like a chimney, put a can of "Restore" in it and after 1K it stopped smoking and burning oil. I can only judge from my experience.

On the power cycle though the car will be drawing oil in from the plugs. So say you accelerate to x mph and let off for about ten seconds then put your foot back on the accelerator and you see a tinge of blue smoke. That will be the oil from the plug holes being pulled in and burnt off.

If your smoking all the time then its a different scenario