Any RX7 FD owners here?

Dave-350

As the title says, anyone here have good knowledge of these cars?

There are quite a few of us over here now, i have had 5 rx7's over a 10 year love affair with them, from mild to wild including a magazine featured 7 build.

Hope i can help :) or how can i help :)

Edited by Jetpilot

:lol: Lexx scared him! :stir:

Its like when one of your friends says, oh did you hear about "Sue", but then says, oh no i cant tell you! :rant:

or was it just a general question but there was nothing specific you wanted to know, but you just wanted to know if anyone had knowledge of the mythical rotary :teeth:

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

What I wanted to know is why they are so different in price...

For example, I have seen a mint FD with decent mileage ready to run for £2500.

Yet I see a similar spec going for £9000.

Is it because of the engine rebuild on the higher price car?

I am looking for an FD so that I can put an LS V8 in to it, I saw a ruined example on eBay and it had all the doors missing and all sorts and he wanted £1600 for it! So I am on the lookout still.

Its like when one of your friends says, oh did you hear about "Sue", but then says, oh no i cant tell you! :rant:

or was it just a general question but there was nothing specific you wanted to know, but you just wanted to know if anyone had knowledge of the mythical rotary :teeth:

Or it could be that I don't spend every day on this forum, and this is the first time i have returned since making this thread?

Or it could be that I don't spend every day on this forum, and this is the first time i have returned since making this thread?

Probably not as noticed you were on later that day as thought it was odd you hadnt checked back :surrender:

To answer you questions imho:

If your ripping the engine out i wouldnt worry to much about who has build it and when, even selling a good engine 2nd with a reputable builder tag is hard work these days.

Andy, Me, LMC all have broken their Rx7's for spares, i would very much think Guy would too if it wasnt a 2001 model. Hopefully that tells you all you need to know about prices. I have to be honest, i havent seen many whole cars sell recently (especially expansive ones), the ones that are advertised for £9k will sit there for ages with the price coming down and down. Only late spec 99+ can command a decent price tag.

I think the world is your oyster if your putting a V8 in one as its really only the engine condition that commands any sort of price at the moment.

Hope that helps.

P.s Hayward Rotary often have rolling chassis with interior etc for sale.

V8 conversion kits are available off the shelf or there is a guy called Tinker who has done loads :)

Edited by Jetpilot

Probably not as noticed you were on later that day as thought it was odd you hadnt checked back :surrender:

To answer you questions imho:

If your ripping the engine out i wouldnt worry to much about who has build it and when, even selling a good engine 2nd with a reputable builder tag is hard work these days.

Andy, Me, LMC all have broken their Rx7's for spares, i would very much think Guy would too if it wasnt a 2001 model. Hopefully that tells you all you need to know about prices. I have to be honest, i havent seen many whole cars sell recently (especially expansive ones), the ones that are advertised for £9k will sit there for ages with the price coming down and down. Only late spec 99+ can command a decent price tag.

I think the world is your oyster if your putting a V8 in one as its really only the engine condition that commands any sort of price at the moment.

Hope that helps.

That's good to know.

Although people are so set on making sure the engine is compression tested and whether its been rebuilt, are the engines as weak as everyone makes out?

Rotary engines I really don't know an awful lot about. The FD is one of the nicest looking cars ever built in my opinion, especially when you bare in mind the era it was designed it still looks very modern.

Everyone says they are money pits, I guess the large portion of this is to do with the lump?

If I can pick up a decent rolling shell I have seen there is a wealth of knowledge regarding V8 transplants, it should be a fun project!

To be honest, compression checks only goes so far, most failures i see are water seal issues (head gasket equivalent). Which unless it already on its way out you will have no idea its going to happen and when it goes it goes quick. I took a guy out for a test drive in one of mine i had for sale, it was mint and went beautifully, as i stopped at a cashpoint for him to get a holding deposit it turned into a steam engine, water seal failure. It was literally perfect one minute, not the next :)

They arent as bad as people make out but they do require tlc and also, they like to be driven and driven hard each time you go out. Imho they are not expensive either, rebuild is £3k ish for an engine that will easily cope with 500+ hp, how much to build a Zed engine to cope with that hp?

Try Hayward Rotary, he will be able to find something if he hasnt go it already and will put it on his ramp so you can see the all important chassis condition.

Good luck, there is a load of help out there with V8 builds too now :)