Driving in California/Nevada - International Driving licence

Jacko

Guys,

I know Rich (Choptop) mentioned this to me, but just want confirmation as to whether I need to get an international driving licence for my trip in August driving around the above two states?

Do I need one?

What benefits does it give?

How do I get one?

How long does it take?

Any further info?

Thanks in advance B)

Jacko - you don't need one. your UK driver's licence is sufficient for any rental company. And you only need the photocard - you'll only confuse them if you take the paper bit too :lol:

Seriously. I spent the first 6 months in CA using my UK drivers licence before getting my California one. I've returned and it's easier to get a rental using my UK licence than my California one.

You'll be fine. don't worry. Just enjoy yourself and look out for spotter planes. The police cars do not stand out like ours do and they'll be on your ass before you recognise them.

Guys,

I know Rich (Choptop) mentioned this to me, but just want confirmation as to whether I need to get an international driving licence for my trip in August driving around the above two states?

Do I need one?

What benefits does it give?

How do I get one?

How long does it take?

Any further info?

Thanks in advance B)

No you dont. I did that trip in May last year and am doing it again in October.

look out for spotter planes.

Now they were interesting when I was there. The valentine one went mad, I slowed down and watched the plane travel up the interstate turn round and fly back. He did this repeatedly. Only saw two spotter planes. One on approach to LA and the other near Washington.

The best one was traveling through a hilly section the detector went mad every time we started to climb a hill. Eventually we spotted a massive radar tower off in the distance.

Some day I'll be buying a valentine one. It picked up everything. It would easily pick up cops that were on the other side of a crest giving us plenty of time to reduced speed.

Guy

Thanks guys,......

Do I need to be worried about getting hold of a radar detector?

I take it then that you are fine using them over there? Surely by the time they go mad anyway then you would be caught??

Don't suppose the rental companies rent them out? Or do I have to just take it very easy anywhere but out in the sticks? ;)

Mine was provided by relatives when I got off the plane. :teeth: A good detector warns you well in advice so you can take it down. A cousin of mine found a ticket on her windscreen one day for having a detector. Cop saw it on the floor.

Take you time and enjoy yourself. The US is so big you'll find yourself just cruising enjoying the views.

Guy

look out for spotter planes.

Now they were interesting when I was there. The valentine one went mad, I slowed down and watched the plane travel up the interstate turn round and fly back. He did this repeatedly. Only saw two spotter planes. One on approach to LA and the other near Washington.

The best one was traveling through a hilly section the detector went mad every time we started to climb a hill. Eventually we spotted a massive radar tower off in the distance.

Some day I'll be buying a valentine one. It picked up everything. It would easily pick up cops that were on the other side of a crest giving us plenty of time to reduced speed.

Guy

Spotter plane? What do they do exactly? surely they don't use planes to catch people speeding?? :scare:

I have never used a radar detector, haven't driven in the states too much though. My dad hasn't either and he's driven there a lot!

Just enjoy the views take it easy in the corners if you have a yank tank. Remember if you get a car with a similar capacity to a zed it'll have about 175 bhp!

Unless you have booked something a little special???

I have never used a radar detector, haven't driven in the states too much though. My dad hasn't either and he's driven there a lot!

Just enjoy the views take it easy in the corners if you have a yank tank. Remember if you get a car with a similar capacity to a zed it'll have about 175 bhp!

Unless you have booked something a little special???

Yeah well we going to start with a mustang convertible...... change up to a Corvette convertible and also take out the Shelby Mustang......

Could get a zed roadster, but thought as in the states, may as well drive some big gas guzzlers!

All in the interest of science you know B)

I signed up to be a Gold member of Hertz before I booked the car. On arrival in Boston they had some convertible Toyota thing lined up waiting for me. Walked into the members checkin and found about 8 others also in the same boat. They'd book online and of course that means you get a Mustang or similar. We all said no thanks to the alternative and got Mustangs.

I signed up to be a Gold member of Hertz before I booked the car. On arrival in Boston they had some convertible Toyota thing lined up waiting for me. Walked into the members checkin and found about 8 others also in the same boat. They'd book online and of course that means you get a Mustang or similar. We all said no thanks to the alternative and got Mustangs.

Guy,

What does a Gold member of Hertz get you?

Do you just sign up for free job or payment? I mean, do you actually have had to use them so many times before?

I've only ever used them once. It was free to join and a relative in the US told me to do it as they get free upgrades all the time from it. I think you have to pay now but could be wrong. There's club and gold members now. I'm gold as that was what was free at the time.

While in the members checkin I could see into the plebs checkin :p and people were standing round waiting forever to get their cars. I've been told at the normal checkin they try to sell you all the options incl overpriced tank of gas whereas I signed a piece of paper, got my cousin signed on as a second driver and was out the door and in the car (the right car) in 5mins.

So it really doesn't mean much to me but to Hertz it seems to mean you're a more experienced traveller and don't need to put up with the crap.

Oh yea one other thing. After joining I book the car through Hertz.ie (I live in Dublin) and it was cheaper than booking from Hertz.com