Orange seats were dyed black.... can i get them back to orange?

ostego

One of the previous owners of my Zed decided to dye the orange seats black.... i can see the seats' orange remnants in the trim and in the small air holes. I also must have somehow scratched the seat with keys in my back pocket, and now there is a thin line of orange showing... which gives me hope!

Is there any solution or method i could do to remove this black dye they've put on the seats, to get their original orange colour back, but at the same time not stripping the leather of it's orange colour as well?

You MIGHT be able to buy a spray kit, not sure how well it would cope with the black though and it's Alzean not orange :thumbs:

Am just worried with a spray kit or using some kind of chemical to remove it that i may also strip the "alzean" colour (don't know if this is dyed onto the leather in the same way or whether it would be more stubborn)

And you can call the seats Alzean.... and the car colour Le mans Sunset..... but in my books it all adds up to ORANGE!

You MIGHT be able to buy a spray kit, not sure how well it would cope with the black though and it's Alzean not orange :thumbs:

Am just worried with a spray kit or using some kind of chemical to remove it that i may also strip the "alzean" colour (don't know if this is dyed onto the leather in the same way or whether it would be more stubborn)

And you can call the seats Alzean.... and the car colour Le mans Sunset..... but in my books it all adds up to ORANGE!

You need to speak to Pete on here, I forget his username but he's the leather god, if anyone can help you he can.

Not seen him around for a while though, hopefully someone will come along and post his username so you can PM him.

And stop calling it Orange, have some pride man! :)

Are you sure they have been dyed mate? I only asked as my standard GT seats in black are also orange underneath......

Hmmm, I assumed they have been re-stained, as from what i was aware all Le mans sunset GT packs came with the ALZEAN seats.

And the guy i bought it off did mention that the previous owner had apparently changed the colour of the seats (but not sure what proof there was of this to him)

I just assume that since there is orange trim in there, and I can see orange in the air holes that something has been done to them, as it wouldn't really make much sense otherwise

You need to speak to Pete on here, I forget his username but he's the leather god, if anyone can help you he can.

4RE Leather

leather god eh... SMD will be on this thread like a shot!

I think he's left us, not seen him around for a while. He's obviously in Jag heaven.

Like this?

2u9y.jpg

If so, they've just swapped the orange seats for black ones. My gunmetal Z has the same orange holes and if you scratch the leather it will come up orange.

Exactly like that! Did some le mans sunset GTs come with those seats then? As there is no orange on the steering wheel, or anywhere else either. I always assumed that some guy must have just really hated the interior and completely re done it, but maybe it just came with those as stock and the guy i bought it off assumed the same!

Wonder why they scratch off as orange.... would think it would be easier to just leave the leather black as it is!

May look in to getting the seats stained orange then... as I've really got my mind set on colour coding now since seeing a picture of Keyser's zed! Have so much expenditure coming up on this car but i just keep adding things to my shopping list for it! Am starting to realize that you can never be "satisfied" with your zed's looks.... there's always more that can be done!!

if you want to change it might be worth a punt asking if someone has the Alzean interior is interested in a swap for the black seats... plent of people want to go the other way to you and it might just work out. otherwise i think i saw some Alzean seats on ebay the other day

4 bolts and a plug each seat.... there are a couple of different versions (did they do an unheated seat?) like 1 adjuster wheel vrs 2 adjuster wheels but basically the same seats..

Also disconnect the battery and don't start the car with the seats unplugged, otherwise you'll trigger the airbag light.

But yeah, easy to remove the seats.

4 bolts and a plug each seat.... there are a couple of different versions (did they do an unheated seat?) like 1 adjuster wheel vrs 2 adjuster wheels but basically the same seats..

Also disconnect the battery and don't start the car with the seats unplugged, otherwise you'll trigger the airbag light.

But yeah, easy to remove the seats.

And have them half folded forwards if you want to get them out of the car easily, also be warned - they aren't light either!

• Like 1

Alezan was an option in all Zeds, it wasn't standard in any colour Zed :) and as already determined, the charcoal leather has orange accents inside the perforations etc.

aah, ok, thanks for clearing that up! It has often bugged me why the interior seemed to not be orange when i thought that was how it should be... was suspicious it was a cut and shut for the first week or so because of that!

Hmmm, now to make the decision of whether to go alezan... or PROPER orange! Am sort of tempted to go for bright orange in the middle strip of the back and seat and keep the outer bits black (not too sure how easy it is to turn black leather to orange though!)

Edited by ostego

IMO don't go orange. It'll be too much orange for one car. IMO seats etc should contrast against the main colour of the car, thats why many people chose bright red for black cars.

My mind tells me DO IT.... but the amount of orange mentioned in your sig makes me think you know your stuff when it comes to the colour orange!

I guess black is the only colour that goes well with orange really.... unless anyone else has any colour suggestions?

Just have it in my mind now that i want to mess about with the colouring in my interior, but can see how there needs to be contrast in colouring... everything in my life can't be orange!

Like this?

2u9y.jpg

If so, they've just swapped the orange seats for black ones. My gunmetal Z has the same orange holes and if you scratch the leather it will come up orange.

Exactly like that! Did some le mans sunset GTs come with those seats then? As there is no orange on the steering wheel, or anywhere else either. I always assumed that some guy must have just really hated the interior and completely re done it, but maybe it just came with those as stock and the guy i bought it off assumed the same!

Wonder why they scratch off as orange.... would think it would be easier to just leave the leather black as it is!

May look in to getting the seats stained orange then... as I've really got my mind set on colour coding now since seeing a picture of Keyser's zed! Have so much expenditure coming up on this car but i just keep adding things to my shopping list for it! Am starting to realize that you can never be "satisfied" with your zed's looks.... there's always more that can be done!!

As previously stated, Alzan was an option, my sunset has the black interior