Russ' build thread. update 6/3/15 GT Spec Braces

350 Russ

For some reason I thought that brace could go the other side but perhaps that was just a google pic I saw.

it would be helpful if it did as that would help come service time. it would clash with the steering rack i think.

Ah I see.

From looking at your photo, it really just seems like you have to just get in at a different angle for the sump bolt, doesn't look literally blocked off if you see what I mean.

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Surprised I haven't spotted you in and around Ricky Russ..

Ive been off the road for the last 8 months, Where are you based and what colour and year is yours? i might have seen you around.

Up the road in Croxley mate.. check my 'fettlin' thread..

Not far at all then! I'll check it out

• Like 1

I finally received the correct sandwich plate from mishimoto so this evening i made in the temp gauge thermostat, being as it was a tapered thread the end of the thermostat was hitting the inside of the plate before it was getting tight and i wanted it done properly and not just putting on as much PTFE as possible to make it tight.

so i drilled the inside to make a recess for the stat to sit in and get it wound in another 5mm ish to get it tight, when my new oil filter turns up its time to get the new oil cooler and various other engine mods in. B)

BA0AE89B-FAB8-436C-9190-14E906C9CBD2_zpsiauoyq1o.jpg

so Ive had a few days off work and I've got some more done on the zed. today and yesterday i managed to get the oil cooler fitted changed to oil run the sensor cable, mount the gauge, wire it up and fit one side of my rear coilovers.

First off was the oil cooler. which was easy enough, i was a bit worried that the engine would run dry to fill up the rad but it was ok, just start her up for under a minute and leave for a while for the oil to settle, the level had dropped on the dipstick from full to just above empty so refilled and after a 30-40 min run earlier its just under full so happy days. just over 5l went in.

Crap photos i know.

C4FF1034-5159-49D2-9261-472B1D0AEE98_zpspnyxji3a.jpg

37B4765D-88A2-4014-A4E3-A244B54F94AC_zpsnwo4mldh.jpg

Next up was the temperature gauge. I had this made up in a vent i purchased from eBay previously. I wanted it mounted in the door to look as OEM as possible. Defi gauges look superb IMO B) .

D3A373B8-3FD6-4985-B19C-58C81ED9BE2B_zpstxalpuzr.jpg

C4901290-CFF6-4091-AB22-FB0337E5AC17_zpsnvfebh2w.jpg

I forgot to take pictures of the rear coilovers so thats going to have to wait until tomorrow.

Edited by 350 Russ
  • Like 1

Looks great Russ and the position in the air vent is always a winner, ...very tidy install. B)

One thing though did you remove the black plastic covers before putting the front bumper back on? The ones either side just below the crash bar?

Only reason I mention it is that they do slightly obscure free flowing air to the oil cooler & radiator. Horsham Developments removed mine whilst they where installing my supercharger set up so just thought I'd let you know but it's probably not all the detrimental. :);)

• Like 1

Looks great Russ and the position in the air vent is always a winner, ...very tidy install. B)

One thing though did you remove the black plastic covers before putting the front bumper back on? The ones either side just below the crash bar?

Only reason I mention it is that they do slightly obscure free flowing air to the oil cooler & radiator. Horsham Developments removed mine whilst they where installing my supercharger set up so just thought I'd let you know but it's probably not all the detrimental. :);)

Yeah i thought that when it was going on, though id leave them on as its only an na zed so hopefully won't be getting as hot as quickly as yours.

Todays update, Much swearing was involved. To start off I fitted the other rear strut and i managed to remember to get the photo today

30567F59-C95B-467B-801E-14D5C668E66C_zpshmb8chtr.jpg

Easy as pie to fit, all the bolts come undone without a fuss and was all done in about half an hour per side, the braces were another matter.

Before the pics, i should warn anyone attempting it that all the required bolts to undo were tight as sh*t. the manual says they should be 80nm but they felt more like 180nm. not sure if the alignment had been done in the past and they had been done up with a windy gun but it was a nightmare. 2 hours to fit the mid rear brace! its only 2 nuts!! got there in the end though.

Do note that the car will require a full alignment after fitting.

Can only see the one

229EE601-6311-4346-B593-BF472196B24E_zpsse9jdpjm.jpg

Now you can see two.

FF47125D-ED4E-48D6-BAA1-9C5B747BBE67_zpsocqxlwqq.jpg

After having got that done and having a little cry i moved onto the big mid brace, shockingly bad photo with this one. It went on easily though, not sure how much difference it will make being as mines a coupe but its on there non the less.

6308D462-A7F5-4709-AB0C-7E4DB338C478_zpsqoijdpbu.jpg

heres a google image of it fitted as mines so crap.

350z-mid_zpsmnp0i0gm.jpg

Only 100 days until i can drive her again!! :yahoo:

Well done mateðŸ‘. I'm never been sure about these braces though the fender brace definitely works as it triangulates an area of inadvertent weakness in chassis rigidity.

I also noticed with interest that the bricks or rather "chucks" have been put behind the front wheels. Is that to help the car roll forwards :lol: :lol: as certainly it will not prevent it from doing so since as the rear has been jacked up.

Be safe👀.

Edited by GT4 Zed

Well done mateí ½í±. I'm never been sure about these braces though the fender brace definitely works as it triangulates an area of inadvertent weakness in chassis rigidity.

I also noticed with interest that the bricks or rather "chucks" have been put behind the front wheels. Is that to help the car roll forwards :lol: :lol: as certainly it will not prevent it from doing so since as the rear has been jacked up.

Be safe👀.

Danger is my middle name :lol:;)

No the driveway has a slight slope downhill so when i jack the car up it would have rolled backwards hence the bricks.

• 2 years later...

Don't use HEL brake lines they said, there unsafe they said,

Use these more expensive ones there miles better, until they split when your doing 40 mph on an A road!!!!!!!!!! :rant: :rant: :rant:

Photos to follow tomorrow when i get the wheel off and check it out properly.

IMG_2131_zpsamkv4pnd.jpg