Is my clutch okay? (Done to death I'm sure...)

Darren350

Guys, my 2004 350Z has 117,000 miles on the clock with no reciept for a clutch change. The biting point in first gear is VERY high, but I have read that alot of them are. Also, it pulls away in 3rd with no issues (Smells a bit for a minute though!) and when giving it 'beans' it doesn't slip at all.

Are the chances that it HAS had a clutch replacement at some stage? Or can they last this long? Alot of information points to them going at anywhere between 30,000 and 60,000. Any more miles than that and your'e either very lucky or running on borrowed time, lol

Is this just a case of 'Its fine, shut up and enjoy it'? It's just I bought it with the expectancy of having to change the clutch as I thought the biting point was oo high, but I'm getting used to it and have been driving the car alot in this first week.

My mate bought a 60 plate Corsa a week before I got my Z and paid £1000 extra. I know which I'd rather have, lol

my guess is its had a clutch at that mileage! would have needed a very sympathetic driver to get to that mileage on an original clutch in my opinion.

the biting point is indeed quite high as standard - if it starts to go, it'll start slipping under full load in higher gears first. I dont think any car can pull away in third without a reasonable amount of clutch slip.

Hi, mine has 108, on the clock now and my mechanic say that it has no sign of a clutch change due to all the bolts still having yellow dots on them etc... No agrivation if you get me. He did a clutch test using various methods and said the clutch is strong. I have the same worry you have,..borrowed time. It's at the back of my mind all the time.

New clutch and fitting is not cheap!

I just had my clutch done last weekend, and as brillomaster says, I would be amazed if your clutch hadn't been changed at some point! Mine has 57k on it and I needed to change it. I took the opportunity to get the flywheel changed for a lighter weight one as well as the clutch and was all done inc. labour for £858 by Sly at Kaizer Motors. Highly recommended!

As brillomaster rightly says, if your clutch was wearing, it would start to slip first in higher gears and work its way down gear by gear until you are forced to change it. Obviously recommend you change before that happens, but you should get it checked out first.