Is it worth it???

Kurtoski

Hi Guys,

Picking up my new Zed on Sunday. Due to my age and points obviously my insurance is through the roof...

22 years old,

7 points on my license (4 for speeding & 3 for motorway speeding)

No Accidents

1 years NCB

Cheapest quote is £2092 per years which is pretty cheap considering the above. Only problem is, it's with the company i've never heard of and all the reviews are terrible. Obviously there very little "good" review regarrding insurance companies but these reviews really are shocking!

The company is "Go Skippy". The next cheapest quote is £3k. So is it worth paying a thousand pound more for a company you have heard of and have more faith in?

Any help would be much appreiciated.

Southern Rock are the under writers. People haven't been too easy on them either. The only problem with car insurance reviews, not many people shout about the good but lots of people shout about the bad so it's hard to gauge any of them I guess.

Is that a Comprahensive Quote. ?. At least you got a quote, with that track record, could have been worse. ..!! :scare: :scare: :scare:

Edited by WhackyWill

Ouch, 7 speeding points! Did you not get the offer of a speed awareness course for any of those, or were you over the speed threshold for the course? Having said that, some insurers still sting you for having attended a course but still have a 'clean licence' which defeats the object of doing the course.

Careful of loud pedal in the Zed! You can get into licence losing speeds in a blink of an eye, the speed of it is very deceptive.

Edited by Jp606
  • Like 1

Yeah, it was on moneysupermarket.com. Yeah both bloody mobile speed camera's! 4 points come off in November so it should drop next year should I resist the temptation of that righ pedal in a Zed :/

Up to you..what are you used to driving..? If you dont treat a Zed with "respect of the right foot",

it will bit you on the a55 and you wont have to worry about speeding as you will write it off... :surrender: :scare::surrender:

I was unfortunately over the threshold :( People think I'm mad paying for insurance that's half the price of the car but they've never driven a Zed! You only live once and all that..

Definitely.

I'm older than you but when I was younger I owned a JDM Impreza WRX that was modified a fair bit. At first I was paying £1000-£1500 I think it was for insurance which in today's money is probably what you where quoted for the Zed and the WRX cost me £3K so half the value too.

It was worth it though for the enjoyment I had from that car whilst I had it. :thumbs:

I would try a comparison site though Kurtoski and try adding/changing things to see what lowers your premium best.

Things like adding named drivers (older family members), limiting your yearly mileage to the bare minimum, increase your voluntary excess, tracker alarm (can be had quite cheaply nowadays), garage the car at night if possible etc.

It's still going to be high because of your age & convictions but you never know you may be able to get a few hundred off it at least. :thumbs:

Yeah that's a good shout. I've been messing with the quotes to see if it can be any cheaper. It will be garaged anyway so that's fine. Never thought about a tracker though. Might see how much they fetch. When I added my dad to the policy, even though he has a Zed and pas £370 a year! It was about £800 more expensive for some bizzare reason.

Both below where the top google results for Tracker companies & prices/fitted from £120 (but you'll need to check annual subscription charges too);

http://www.trackermonitor.co.uk/

http://www.stolencartracking.co.uk/sctcat/?gclid=CPmjtePv9LsCFUr4wgodwT4ATQ

Never had one myself but they are insurance approved and if it helps lower the yearly premium then it could be worth it in the long run especially if you're planning on keeping the Zed for any length of time. :thumbs:

Hi Guys,

Picking up my new Zed on Sunday. Due to my age and points obviously my insurance is through the roof...

22 years old,

7 points on my license (4 for speeding & 3 for motorway speeding)

No Accidents

1 years NCB

Cheapest quote is £2092 per years which is pretty cheap considering the above. Only problem is, it's with the company i've never heard of and all the reviews are terrible. Obviously there very little "good" review regarrding insurance companies but these reviews really are shocking!

The company is "Go Skippy". The next cheapest quote is £3k. So is it worth paying a thousand pound more for a company you have heard of and have more faith in?

Any help would be much appreiciated.

I know this isn't any help but that insurance is silly. Members younger than you (no points though) have had much much cheaper premiums. If I coughed up that much for insurance I'd be sick TBH. I look at other cars until the cost of insurance was 1k or under. Paying £2000 on a 350z is just sillyness IMO.

Good luck though and try a few comparisons sites and phone up and haggle if possible too.

Insurance sting me big time becuase of my age and points. Last year I paid £2200 for my 05 plate 1.6 Hyundai Coupe so I'm used to paying over the odds. I can't have a normal car like Corsa/fiesta/punto. I'd prefer to pay £150 a month more and have a proper car.

Insurance sting me big time becuase of my age and points. Last year I paid £2200 for my 05 plate 1.6 Hyundai Coupe so I'm used to paying over the odds. I can't have a normal car like Corsa/fiesta/punto. I'd prefer to pay £150 a month more and have a proper car.

each to their own 150 a month is £1800 a year! Each to their own though :thumbs:

I paid £200 a month for my first year in the Zed, just under £100 for the second year and I'm getting quoted around £50 per month for the 3rd year coming. This is all with Admiral who are on GoCompare or of course you can go through their own site.

I find sometimes companies can't quote you through the comparison websites but will on the phone or their own site. Give that a go :thumbs:

• Like 1