Privilege Insurance - Rip Off

Kev946

As some of you know I've recently added new bumpers, sills, quad exhaust and alloys. I was with Privilege Insurance and my renewal was a reasonable £540 until I told them of these additions.

Basically they were happy with everything except the alloys and wanted to charge me an additional £189 per year. That's 35% extra for a set of wheels. I've switched today to Norwich Union for £511 per year including all the modifications. Luckily I was in the honeymoon period of 14 days to renew with Privilege, so managed to cancel with them at no charge.

So, don't use Privilege if you car is modified or intend to modify it..... :thumbdown:

That doesn't surprise me Kev. Their other favourite stunt is to give you a competitive quote to get you to sign up with them, and then the following year they bump it right up in the hope that you can't be ar$$ed to go elsewhere :angry: .

When I bought my Zed last year, Privilege were the most competitive quote at £494. This year, with the car having depreciated in value, so lower risk, and no claims made by me, so again reduced risk, the renewal was £528 :rant: .

Needless to say I told them where to stuff it and got a great deal from Liverpool and Victoria for £369 :) .

That doesn't surprise me Kev. Their other favourite stunt is to give you a competitive quote to get you to sign up with them, and then the following year they bump it right up in the hope that you can't be ar$$ed to go elsewhere :angry: .

When I bought my Zed last year, Privilege were the most competitive quote at £494. This year, with the car having depreciated in value, so lower risk, and no claims made by me, so again reduced risk, the renewal was £528 :rant: .

Needless to say I told them where to stuff it and got a great deal from Liverpool and Victoria for £369 :) .

I know it's common practice to charge a lower premium for the first year, but £189 for alloys. That's taking the Pi55.... :thumbdown:

Anyway, I made sure they know why I cancelled. The annoying thing is the alloys are genuine BMW so are available over the shelf, i.e. can be bought singularly.

Yep, I've had exactly the same issue!! :angry:

Bought my wheels, put em and and it went up silly money for a set of wheels. unfortunately, I only had three more months to go so had to sit and take it (or loost the NCB for this year) so I won't be staying with them!

Will go off to DL if I need to, they underwritten by same people, normally about £50 dearer per year but more mod friendly by all accounts!

I still dont understand why they charge you more for these types of mods. They do not change the way the driver drives, they are still the same person, same reactions and same car. On the other hand, i guess its because if they have to replace them, it will cost them more, but then if you dont unsure them, they should not pay out.

Ah i dont know, its all stupid and a money making scam!

I still dont understand why they charge you more for these types of mods. They do not change the way the driver drives, they are still the same person, same reactions and same car. On the other hand, i guess its because if they have to replace them, it will cost them more, but then if you dont unsure them, they should not pay out.

Ah i dont know, its all stupid and a money making scam!

It also that in their eyes, putting 2k worth of wheels on your car, means that its more nickable! Therefore higher risk. What they don't mention is that I'd be very surprised if you got the 2k for your wheels...... would come out with market value crap etc.... :thumbdown:

its all a big scam!

I was with LV and they upped mine to over £800,Moved to M&S for £540 including European breakdown cover.I did give them the opportunity to requote but they only got it down to £700 odd which was still way higher than almost everybody else was quoting. No matter who you're with it's worth checking around each year because they do rely on most peoples lethargy upping your premium and hope you'll not bother to check.

Be careful of Norwich Union.

My g/f moved house last October and they charged her something like £60. She said she would cancel and an admin fee to cancel was a similar amount so she had no choice other than to pay it.

I wouldn't touch them for a second - add that to their Indian call centres.

My g/f moved house last October and they charged her something like £60. She said she would cancel and an admin fee to cancel was a similar amount so she had no choice other than to pay it.

Too late and I've saved over £200 in any case, and my principal is if they charge too much then cancel and switch insurance companies. Not planning on moving in the next year.

Too late and I've saved over £200 in any case, and my principal is if they charge too much then cancel and switch insurance companies. Not planning on moving in the next year.

Neither was she but you never know what's around the corner :p

Come to think about it, nearly 2 years ago I came home from work one night and told my neighbour I was going to put in plans to build an extension with extra room and garage - one week later I had my house up for sale and had moved in under 2 months :D

I had been with privilege for two years, this year the renewal was ridiculous, so changed to Admiral. Taken out a multicar policy, insurance is around the £380 mark :teeth:

Don't know how mod friendly they are though.

How much of a discount would you get if you replaced your alloys with steel wheels? Or would they just class that as a mod and charge you more anyway. Its a rip off . most the time they wont even payout on the extra.

And why oh why do they ask for a current value! I mean they only pay out what they deem is the market value, but will quite happily take your money if you think your cars is more than they do. :rant:

+1

I hate Norwich Union and will NEVER use them again Ever!!! even if ithey can save me £200. :rant::angry: I had so much trouble claiming with them when my car was Broken into.

I'm with A-plan and cudn't praise them more. OK they up your premium when you add something to your car but their customer service has been 2nd to none! I've had 1 claim with them and it cudn't have gone smoother, i saved a load of money when i started my policy. :thumbs: