GT4/MY06 Oil Consumption Poll

Beavis

Are you using oil??  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Are you using oil??

• Yes Alot
    • Yes a Little
    • No

If you are a GT4 owner or an MY06 owner are you using oil? Basically if you have the 300 ps engine or commonly known in America the rev-up engine are you reguarly topping up with oil?

I am doing this to compare this with experiences of this engine in America.

There is talk of a possible TSB to fix this problem. Possibly an ecu update, though this might be just pie in the sky. :dry:

was concerned about mine so had the dealer perform a consumption test, was told it was within normal limits.

How much does it use then?

Yep how much did it use? Come on others please who this applies too. :thumbs:

dont ask me to swear on the numbers, but from what I can recall the dealer process was;

- drain the oil

- flush the engine with errr..... :wacko: .... "engine flush" or toilet duck????

- top the oil up to the "max" mark

- the car was then returned to me to drive 600 miles, why 600? Ask nissan....

they told me to check the oil frequently and return immediately if it got to the min mark but under no circumstances to add any before I returned.

- 600 miles later..... I return to the dealer

- The dealer then checked the consumption by topping back up to the "max" mark.

My consumption was ~200-250cc, I seem to recall the limit was about double that ie; half a litre in 600 miles (but dont quote me on that!!)

Since then my consumption has remained at about this level, no more, no less but I still monitor it closely.

dont ask me to swear on the numbers, but from what I can recall the dealer process was;

- drain the oil

- flush the engine with errr..... :wacko: .... "engine flush" or toilet duck????

- top the oil up to the "max" mark

- the car was then returned to me to drive 600 miles, why 600? Ask nissan....

they told me to check the oil frequently and return immediately if it got to the min mark but under no circumstances to add any before I returned.

- 600 miles later..... I return to the dealer

- The dealer then checked the consumption by topping back up to the "max" mark.

My consumption was ~200-250cc, I seem to recall the limit was about double that ie; half a litre in 600 miles (but dont quote me on that!!)

Since then my consumption has remained at about this level, no more, no less but I still monitor it closely.

Much the same consumption as mine then. TBH I have also heard that 1ltr per 1K is the maximum permitted and this is the reason I have not yet pressed the issue it with the dealer.

So up to press it does not look too bad on the oil consumption. Mine needed topping up a couple of times up to about the 8000 mile point but seems to have slowed down alot, may have been an issue with running in? Any how keep the votes coming. :thumbs:

I must be a numpty :blush: but I find it very hard to check my oil.

I wait till the engine is warm. Pull the dipstick - and wipe, then replace (with great difficulty I have to admit - its like a bloody corkscrew !)

Then I pull the dipstick again and can see no clear oli level, it seems all over the stick. What on earth am I doing wrong?

I wait till the engine is warm. Pull the dipstick - and wipe, then replace (with great difficulty I have to admit - its like a bloody corkscrew !)

Then I pull the dipstick again and can see no clear oli level, it seems all over the stick. What on earth am I doing wrong?

Well firstly it is best to check the engine oil when cold. Obviously on a flat level surface. Granted its a bit fiddly getting dipstick back into the hole but you should be able to see the oil level clearly. Other than that i cant see what you are doing wrong. :thumbs:

Well firstly it is best to check the engine oil when cold. Obviously on a flat level surface. Granted its a bit fiddly getting dipstick back into the hole but you should be able to see the oil level clearly. Other than that i cant see what you are doing wrong. :thumbs:

really - when cold? Yes I am checking on a flat surface -a garage forecourt.

So it has to be when cold then ?

So it has to be when cold then ?

If the engine's hot/been run recently then the oil would've been knocked up into the engine and so the dipstick will give an inaccurate (lower than real) reading. Leaving it to cool off lets the oil run down and settle in the bottom of the engine making an accurate reading possible.

The GT4s were a limited engine production run prior to the MY06 model. Haven't heard of a GT4 with oil consumption probs which leads me to think whatever the problem is it only became such when they were doing "normal" production.

If the engine's recently run/warm then the oil would've been knocked up in the engine, including the dipstick hole/tunnel, which means you'll get an oil smeared dipstick most of the time, and if if you do manage to get a reading form it, it'll probably be lower than actual oil level.

So, let the oil settle/run down into the engine (let it cool down) and you'll get a more accurate reading more easily. :teeth: