My 2003 350z

Aglii

Ive had my Z for about 4 years now, its a 2003 base model, the whole car was repainted in 2010, white with black roof, 17" rims where painted white, and badges blacked out and also the lights in the bumper ware made black, it had around 50.000 miles on it, and a vortech v2 supercharger system.

Here is a picture from 2010 and of the vortech v2 system:

jfbwxz.jpg

2lbzxu1.jpg

Vortech system, missing there is bigger fuel pump, injectors and more stuff

2hi02vq.jpg

Then in late 2012 the engine desided it did not want any more boost and the bottom end went to hell,

So i rented a shed and started tearing the engine out, the bottom end was all damaged, only the heads survived. I connect that to the really bad gas we had here in Iceland, the gas companys got busted adding octan to there premium fuel, so it was basicly 93 octan, with octan adder.

Picture of the engine out, outside the garage had to be there for 2 days

28hddlh.jpg

The engine arrived from USA in may 2013, it is a used engine, with about 65k miles on it, never been boosted, and has perfect compression.

But me having paranoia after the other engine failed, i started ordering, all new gasket set for the whole engine, with stronger headgasket, all new oil seals,

Mishimoto low temp thermostat, water pump, timing chain assembly, new spark plugs and K&N oil filter.

My mechenic is now putting the engine i got from USA back together for me with all the new stuff, will go after xmas to take photos of that progress.

While i am waiting for that, ive started my ToDo list for the next year, its not much so far, but im always adding to it.

Already bought:

Test pipes - Done, today i bought test pipes from Mctwist here on the forum

Nismo v2 spoiler - On the way from USA

Vortech v2 supercharger system - (Getting it back from the guy that i sold it to next month)

Lightweight pulley set - On the way

Low temp thermostat - Installed

Timing chain assambly and water pump - Installed

Stronger headgasket and all new gasket set and oil seals - Installed

Walbro 255lph fuel pump - Installed

Deatschwerks 850cc - Installed

To come

Nismo v2 front bumper with candards(Replica)

Side skirts, have not desided, any ideas?

Rear bumper, have not desidesd, any ideas?

Shorty antenna

Retractable number plate system, dont like having the plate on my front bumper.

Rear wiper delete

AC Delete if i can find out how to keep the humidfier

And a few things with interior, another gearknob, carbon wrap center console.and handles.

Xenon in front lights.

This is the list so far.

And when the car is all together i will have the whole car repainted again, due to hit and run, and also the new bumpers, skirts and spoiler will need paint, my insurence will pay most of it anyway. The car will be mostly white, with a few black things, will reviel later.

Edited by Aglii
  • Like 1

Nice build and plans but I'm at a loss to understand why you did not take the opportunity to build a stronger engine bottom end now that you have the engine out? A forged low compression piston and rods set (eg wiseco), new bearings, uprated gaskets, rev up oil pump, new water pump and ARP main and head bolts will get you an engine that will safely handle more more and last a long time with the supercharger fully exploited.

Secondly lightweight crank pulley set is a bad idea especially for FI. Stay OEM or buy a harmonic balanced pulley eg Fluidampr.

I don't know how humid it is in Iceland but I have a full AC delete with my SC set up and I have no problems with dehumidification here in the UK and is difficult to say if the car revs faster as I did it sametime as the Vortech but I regretted not having AC in summer as some days were so hot!! I'm putting it back! WRT cooling I'm sure there is some benefit but if you have an oil cooler, low temp thermostat and bigger radiator like I do then there is not more to gain from deleting the AC. There is no significant weight gain unless you remove the compressor which is quite heavy.

Hope every thing goes well for you.

Got a really good deal on the engine, and it was way cheaper then build the bottom end, would have done that if i had more funds at that time.

Would also have had to buy a new crankshaft it went to @*!#, if i had build it, it added up to way more then i paid for the whole engine.

Would definitly do that now, but at that time i was unenployed and did not have the funds for it.

Also, never heard this about the lightweight pulley will defently look into that, thanks!, then i guess a set will be up for sale here soon ;)

And yes mostly thinking about weight loss, take all the AC system out compressor also, dont need AC here in iceland,

And also i will only run 6psi of boost with a good tune, which is about 3psi less then i was running last time, so the bottom end should handle that without any problems,

Edited by Aglii

Nice Zed (again) Aglii. ;) Just some ideas below.

Retractable front number plate here from Tarmac Sportz (trader on here); http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/SHOW_N_GO_Retractable_Number_Plates/350z-Show-n-Go.aspx

Also they do these side steps which I think look very cool; http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/72432-tarmac-sportz-350z-side-diffusers-more-pics/ :thumbs:

Nice Zed (again) Aglii. ;) Just some ideas below.

Retractable front number plate here from Tarmac Sportz (trader on here); http://www.tarmacspo...-Show-n-Go.aspx

Also they do these side steps which I think look very cool; http://www.350z-uk.c...sers-more-pics/ :thumbs:

Yes, knew about the plate, will look at the side steps, still taking ideas though

I understand that you are going this route to save cash but what I meant was if you have bought a used engine and plan to strip it to put new gaskets, seals etc then you may as well for about the same labour add low comp forged pistons and rods, race bearings and uprated fasteners to get a very solid engine to take bigger boost and last longer.

You can offset the cost of these internals by getting them from the states cheaper and also skipping out non-performance modifications like lightweight pulleys, retractable number plates ( which BTW will not fit with the intercooler in place!) and other cosmetic mods you are planning as you can do these later when the car is up and running.

The advantage of low compression especially if you have dodgy fuel in Iceland is obvious.

You plan to run 6psi which means getting another larger SC pulley and though it is will be safer overall than 9-10psi on the standard engine it's still can blow up leaving you in the same position.

Do it nice or do it twice comes to mind.