Steering, ESP and slip problems

Flintsd

Ok, the problem is:

The problems that follow happened all of a sudden, I drove the car to uni in the morning everything was fine, when I came back to it in the evening the following problems developed. And no I did not hit anything or do anything differently.

1. The steering wheel is not straight. The car moves right when the wheel is straight.

2. When my ESP and slip light come on (and they stay on) the steering goes weird and pulls more to the right.

3. Every so often the cars ESP kicks in even when I am going to a straight line at a constant speed (not slip on accelerating)

Nothing under the car appears to be broken

there is plenty of steering fluid

I don’t know what the problem is and I am worried if I take it to a garaged it will as a small fortune to diagnose the problem. Can anyone offer so help and advice?

I feel it might be a steering rack problem or a sensor problem.

I would like to have the car fixed to go on a Paul Walker Meet in Edinburgh.

First person to give the solution to my problem wins a bottle of whisky. over 18s only :)

Kind Regards

Sam

Your steering wheel moved over the course of a day? Really? :dry::lol:

Sounds to me like an ABS sensor is playing up and causing your ESP to kick in, if its a front one then its very possible that it could make the car pull to one side, might be worth a quick check that you have enough brake fluid as well - the SLIP light staying on indicates there is some kind of problem with it generally :)

If its bothering you then you can pull the plugs from the ABS unit in the front wing by the brake fluid reservoir, but be aware this will disable ABS and TCS so take it easy when testing :)

disabling the ESP and abs units by putting the plugs as mentioned.

I will also check for a sticking calliper.

As for it happening, it was all of a sudden, I drove 10-20 meters then all this crap started.

As for the Tyres, all the pressure are the same.

Brake fluid is at correct levels.

my drop links rotate quite easily...so i have order 2 new ones (I don't think that is the cause, but need replaced non the less).

The car has not been modified in anyway.

thanks for all the replies so far.

My works van had something similar started driving 5 mins in I realised the steering wheel wasn't centered and the traction control light was staying on turns out there was play in the steering rack, amazingly ford sorted it in one go.....

It appears that something mechanical broke in the steering linkage, causing the steering wheel to turn to the left. The ESP and SLIP lights are caused by a disagreement between the steering angle sensor (attached to the steering wheel) and the yaw rate sensor. The steering angle sensor indicates a left turn, but the yaw rate sensor says straight ahead. When the mechanical problem with the steering is fixed, the ESP problems should disappear.

Your mechanical problems could include loose or broken U-joints on the steering shaft, a damaged steering rack, a loose or broken tie rod end, or a problem with either steering knuckle. You or your mechanic need to give the entire steering assembly a thorough inspection.

It appears that something mechanical broke in the steering linkage, causing the steering wheel to turn to the left. The ESP and SLIP lights are caused by a disagreement between the steering angle sensor (attached to the steering wheel) and the yaw rate sensor. The steering angle sensor indicates a left turn, but the yaw rate sensor says straight ahead. When the mechanical problem with the steering is fixed, the ESP problems should disappear.

Your mechanical problems could include loose or broken U-joints on the steering shaft, a damaged steering rack, a loose or broken tie rod end, or a problem with either steering knuckle. You or your mechanic need to give the entire steering assembly a thorough inspection.

This: ^^^^^^^

Alex. :)

• 1 month later...

after what feels like an eternity i have finally got the car fixed.

It turns out that the tie rod end was bent.

At close inspection it dose look like someone/thing has hit my wheel due the appearance a large mark

anyway everything is now fixed and the car is better that ever (new drop links all round too).

so the whisky goes to:

karlh

OR

Neilp

Could somebody have bumped into your wheel while it was parked?

who do you think deserves it?

also looking for Rear headlight auto leveling sensor, any thoughts where i can find one.

Regards

Sam

• 1 month later...

I have this same issue on my 370z. If drive at say 35mph, the road has a slight curve right where I need to turn the wheel maybe 16*, the yaw light flashes but does not stay on (and yes, it's the yaw light that flashes, not the traction control light) and the brakes are pumped automatically causing me to plow left. I got an alignment after a right front tire hit and after recalibration of the system this is happening now. Alignment looked good after a few tweaks, and I can't see anything bent, even measuring the bow in the tie rod end. I reset the ecu by pulling the battery and now it DOESNT happen. All seems good right? Well now I'm scared to turn right because I'm afraid the system will kick the brakes on and I'll plow into another driver (USA).

FYI, after hit steering wheel was 16* turned to the right and I went straight. Now its maybe less then 5* but turned left when going straight.