Timing chain

JO3YT

Hi, my 2003 350z has engine management light, ESP, and the 'skid' symbol on. Nissan told me best case scenario is, replace both cam sensors, and crank sensor. Worst case, is replace a stretched timing chain!!? read through a few posts on here that also point towards a faulty flywheel? going to order the sensors on Monday and keep my fingers crossed its that, but out of curiosity, what would a local garage (not nissan at £80 an hour) charge for a job like that? (Chain and or flywheel) Ball park figure? cars only done 60,000 and has full nissan service history so really hope it's not the chain or the flywheel!!

Agreed! presuming they have read the error code/s they should know which is giving a problem, that sounds like a lucky dip approach.

Apart from the fact that the timing chain is designed to last the life of the engine, and the flywheel is at the other end of the motor, so quite how they have come to that diagnosis I don't know, take it to a garage that knows what there doing.

Was this diagnosed at the garage? Do you have the codes?

Have you checked the brake fluid level? It needs to be at the 'max' or that can bring on a strange combination of lights. Although I think the handbrake light is usually one of them, but worth a check.

Edited by Sam Mcgoo

Hi, All levels are fine, this was diagnosed at nissan yesterday. they wouldn't give me the codes or the part numbers for the sensors? (Thought that was strange, but said he want allowed) the mechanic came out and spoke to me, said it probably is the sensors, but he couldn't tell which one? so to buy the crank position, and two cam position, Bank 1 and bank 2. timing chain was his 'worst case scenario' and the fly wheel was something I read on here. Someone had same problems as me, changed sensors etc and it turned out to be a faulty flywheel.

Hi, All levels are fine, this was diagnosed at nissan yesterday. they wouldn't give me the codes or the part numbers for the sensors? (Thought that was strange, but said he want allowed) the mechanic came out and spoke to me, said it probably is the sensors, but he couldn't tell which one? so to buy the crank position, and two cam position, Bank 1 and bank 2. timing chain was his 'worst case scenario' and the fly wheel was something I read on here. Someone had same problems as me, changed sensors etc and it turned out to be a faulty flywheel.

theyre rippin the pee out of you! Go to and independant and dont be so silly to go to a main stealer

Someone at that garage is taking the **** mate.

It is your vehicle, you have paid for him them to diagnose an issue. You are perfectly entitled to know what codes the ECU has thrown up, and you are perfectly entitled to request the part numbers so you can order them yourself should you so wish.

I would say that if they fit all these parts, and the issue is not resolved, you demand that you do not repay the cost of those parts.