Goodbye GT86. Ownership review on Page 3.

captain

Lucky bastard living there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No luck at all. Just took the leap and now I'm here, work 60 hours a week and most days off as well. Planes fly here from most good airports if you want a piece of the luck.

60 hrs a week with most days off :a you must work really long hours on the days you work then, and I didn't mean it like that I mean it as in your lucky to be living there not its luck how u got there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaaarrgghhh!! Luck does not pay any part of me coming to, working in or living in Dubai. As you can tell, this riles me. I had to be good at what I did to get offered a job here and then have the balls to get on a plane to a job with no salary that I know i would have zero income for 3 months in one of the most expensive cities in the world. i then needed to work like I never have in my life to keep afloat and even now, after 16 months, every day is fraught with tiredness, pressure and stress. (I didn't sell a house in November so no money coming in over the next 2 months)

I have looked up "luck" in the dictionary. Not even close.

• 6 months later...

Sold the car yesterday so I thought some people would be interested in a review.

I loved every minute of driving the car. The handling and grip are amazing and after 18,000 kms of pretty much foot to the floor driving I only managed to lose it once and that was on the track with everything turned off. And this was my error going too fast and too wide in to an uphill left-hander - touched the rumble strip with the offside rear and spun a full 360 and then backwards in to the gravel. no harm done.

The seating position is perfect and everything internally that counts (pedals, wheel, gear stick) are exactly in the right place. My earlier suspicion of the gearbox was wrong. I had just forgotten how to change gear after 20 years of auo boxes. I'm sure it would be perfect for heel and toe but I'm not skilled enough for that. The interior is cheap and cheerful and the only real complaint was the stereo. The worst I have ever heard.

Looks wise I still can't see a single line or curve that in my eyes is not absolutely spot on. Lowered on the Oz Racing 18" rims I think it is perfect.

I have seen people complain about the engine noise being piped in to the cabin. TBH I didn't notice anything but I'm sure the Miltek exhaust helped. Really nice sound and loads of clients who follow me when going on appointments have commented on how good it sounds from the rear.

Of course the main talking point about this car is performance. Does it need more BHP? Firstly, on the track I went twice to the Dubai Autodrome on the small twisty circuit and it really took a much more expensive car to open up large gaps, and that was only on the straight. Through the bends it held its own against everything and hounded many cars 2 or 3 times it's price. There is a noticeable flat spot until about 4500 revs but this can be solved with a chip and tune. I raced a guy who had this done and I would say it was 2 seconds a lap quicker as a result. On the road it is difficult to say because in Dubai it is impossible to drive fast for more than a few seconds. The speed limit ranges from 60 to 120 kph and there are speed cameras literally every few metres. I am sure that if I was on an open country road in the UK I would want more power but that can be easily solved if you want.

Overall I would say this is a great car and I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it. But maybe not if you are 50 and getting fatter by the day. That's the reason I'm selling it really. Not the car's fault that I make "ooof" noises every time I get in and out and I ache a lot. In my job I'm in the car a lot either driving or waiting for ignorant bastards to turn up for appointments "I am coming Mr Simon. I will be 5 minutes Inshallah" I need something bigger and more comfortable. Something with a good sound system, comfy leather seats, a a 420 bhp supercharged V8.........watch this space.

• Like 5

The GT86 and it's Subaru twin has one fault. Not enough power. Many 50 mpg diesel hatchbacks accelerate quicker and that is criminal in a sports car however good it handles.

I suppose if 0-60 times interest you that may be true. I have no idea how the Toyota compares to other cars in this respect. Nor do I care. All I know is that point to point it is a very difficult car to shake off, whatever you are driving. In 8 months of ownership I raced against everything imaginable around the streets of Dubai and not a single car disappeared from my view. Most memorably a brand new F-Type convertible which I chased for about 5 miles and at the end of it he was the same 40 yards ahead of me as when we started. This doesn't mean I'm a driving hero or that he wasn't trying. It means in the real world you can have one hell of a lot of fun for 14,000 quid which you wouldn't be having in the diesel hatchback you cite.

• Like 1

As an aside, I would not work in Dubai for £3,000 a week. Nor Qatar Those places are full of false promises, crazy rules and stupid heat.

Nor would I. This week was 7,000 quid. Besides that, you're right.

• Like 1

The GT86 and it's Subaru twin has one fault. Not enough power. Many 50 mpg diesel hatchbacks accelerate quicker and that is criminal in a sports car however good it handles.

I suppose if 0-60 times interest you that may be true. I have no idea how the Toyota compares to other cars in this respect. Nor do I care. All I know is that point to point it is a very difficult car to shake off, whatever you are driving. In 8 months of ownership I raced against everything imaginable around the streets of Dubai and not a single car disappeared from my view. Most memorably a brand new F-Type convertible which I chased for about 5 miles and at the end of it he was the same 40 yards ahead of me as when we started. This doesn't mean I'm a driving hero or that he wasn't trying. It means in the real world you can have one hell of a lot of fun for 14,000 quid which you wouldn't be having in the diesel hatchback you cite.

I agree with the whole principle of what you are saying :thumbs: I love the whole idea of rowing a car along at 90% using anticipation, momentum and technique to overcome raw power.

• Like 1

I agree with the whole principle of what you are saying :thumbs: I love the whole idea of rowing a car along at 90% using anticipation, momentum and technique to overcome raw power.

Thanks - you're going to like my new car based on your sig,

• Like 2

Looks fab and enjoy it!! Have a thought for the rest of us who are paying x5-10 what you are for fuel :(

I know. Just filled it up with Premium for 22 quid. Mind you, i usually get a speeding ticket every month which is 120 quid and about 60 quid a month on tolls so it evens out a bit.

The same logic can also be applied to Zs. I've read loads of comments on You tube reviews slagging the 370 Nismo for 'only' have a 5.2 second 0-62 time but who cares if the car feels quick and is a blast to drive :)