What can you do if you get stopped by the traffic cops?

N15MNO-Daron

Ive been stopped numerous times in last 8 years of driving and never been issued points or fixed penalty charge.. somehow ive always been able to get away with a warning or a cop shaking his head at me in disapproval as i slam on the brakes when going past them...

:drive1

.. one time i was caught on A3, the london traffic cops stopped me for approx **mph over speed limit...

I acted dumb and asked if theyd stopped me cos my sports exhaust was too loud ...i then found myself in 20min conversation with them about TVR's and various other car exhaust sounds that are apparently illegal...we finished the convo and we were all just about to walk off and then they finally remembered why they stopped me and called me back to give me a proper warning. They let me off that time..i was damn lucky!

Another time i was caught by cops in Kingston and i was driving a 52 plate MK4 Astra turbo (that id modded up to 300hp) they said theyd followed me for 2 miles and had trouble keeping up.. but they loved the car so much and were more interested in looking what id done to the car to make it so fast :) (they were also driving the same year Astra but was diesel model.. and they stil couldnt understand it) :wacko:

I trully beleive the best way to get out of a fine or points when stopped in our Z cars, is to try to change the subject .. try to make them think of something other than your speed, maybe think up an alternative good reason why they might have stopped u and ask them about it.. and always speak politely, they like to be called 'sir'.. they feel respected i guess.

If anyones got any good methods to avoid tickets pls share! or good stories?

I agree with the speaking politely and calling sir. With speeding I've found that the best course of action is to apologise, admit that you realise you were over the limit and tell them that there is no valid reason for you to be.

I've found that this sometimes disarms them and they are far more likely to give you a warning than a fine.

No point coming up with a load of crap cos they WILL have heard it. No point saying that you're late for work etc - cos thats just not a valid reason.

If you're speeding and you get pulled, best to simply hold your hands up I say.

Yeah definately agree with the no nonsense crap..cheap excuses dont work.

However, a friend of mine was stopped one time for speeding and apologised and admitted to being over the limit... 2 weeks later he got court summons through the post with his very words quoted as evidence against him!!

I think better not to admit anything ;)

I agree with the speaking politely and calling sir. With speeding I've found that the best course of action is to apologise, admit that you realise you were over the limit and tell them that there is no valid reason for you to be.

I've found that this sometimes disarms them and they are far more likely to give you a warning than a fine.

No point coming up with a load of crap cos they WILL have heard it. No point saying that you're late for work etc - cos thats just not a valid reason.

If you're speeding and you get pulled, best to simply hold your hands up I say.

I agree totally!

You do the crime be prepared to do the time. i know it sounds cheesy but thats the way it is. Why make excuses? They'd prefer you told the truth, so just hold your hands up, you've been caught.

I even got one cop saying he thought i was a boy racer until he actually pulled me over and spoke to me. He kept going on about the highway code and that i shouldn't undertake even though i was in traffic doing 5mph? he then spent another five minutes looking for his highway code which he never found haha!

I'm embarassed to say that i have been pulled a few times, even when i wasn't doing anything wrong, ive been accused of doing 50mph, no 60mph or is that 70mph boy, and stopped for chasing a Porsche but i've always been let off with a slap on the wrist.

I firmly believe if your going to speed their is a time and a place to do it. But if you get caught breaking the law you should be prepared to take the rap.

I got stopped on a test drive in a Celica a few years back. The cops came on all aggressive and accdued me of driving through a red light. I had been speeding but no way that I had done that. :angry: Anyway, I was very polite with them and their attitude changed and they eventually waved me away.

I honestly believe that they stopped us because we were two young blokes, one in a baseball cap, one Asian, driving round the Liverpool suburbs in a nice car and they wanted an excuse to check us out. :thumbdown:

21 day ban :scare: I bet that was a bitch Sarnie.

It must be living out in the sticks and not doing many miles means I've been under the radar as I have yet (where is the nearest piece of wood?) to be pulled over. Then again, apparently, our 3 patrol cars spend all their time around Nottingham, chasing those groups of 3 or 4 cars who are causing all the raucus trouble :lol:

I've got my eye on a Snooper Sapphire though and hope to continue to keep my licence clean :drive1:

Sure was! Got caught on my way up to Chester for the NW meet in October last year at 08:30 on a Sunday morning :blush:

Got banned on 4th dec and got my license back on Christmas Day!!! :yahoo: I was the only one on the roads thrashing my zed with a christmas hat on and my new slippers!!! :lol:

Sure was! Got caught on my way up to Chester for the NW meet in October last year at 08:30 on a Sunday morning :blush:

Got banned on 4th dec and got my license back on Christmas Day!!! :yahoo: I was the only one on the roads thrashing my zed with a christmas hat on and my new slippers!!! :lol:

Ha Ha :#1::lol:

However, a friend of mine was stopped one time for speeding and apologised and admitted to being over the limit... 2 weeks later he got court summons through the post with his very words quoted as evidence against him!!

But surely they have the evidence and therefore you wouldn't have a chance anyway? Its not like a camera where you could, if so inclined, try to dispute it was you driving.

But surely they have the evidence and therefore you wouldn't have a chance anyway? Its not like a camera where you could, if so inclined, try to dispute it was you driving.

I suppose its not unknown for them to pull you when they haven't got the evidence they need for a conviction just to give you a bollocking and then you make an admission that can be used against you. I'm not a criminal lawyer but it sounds possible.

I think he was just shocked that after admitting it.. he got done with his own words! Personally i had a good laugh at him.. ;)

He didnt get caught on cam but i think if he didnt open his big mouth about his speed, the result may have been different. Cops might have got the wrong idea and thought he was bragging or proud of it or something..

Lets not forget ..its always possible the cops really did stop him for another reason.. or no reason at all..just bored.. i still think its best to be polite but dont openly admit to anything.

An officer has the discretion to send the driver off with a warning. By admitting to the offence you can't even dispute it in court, well you could but you wouldn't win. The officer that stopped him could have known he was speeding but didnt have a speed gun. By admitting to being over the limit gives him powers to issue him with points and a fine or to court in this case.

Do not admit or deny is the best way but keep it diplomatic... at least you can have a chance with a human cop...

If you try and challenge a photo taken by an inanimate cop, some bitter twisted granny processing the photos will not listen to reason and will do you... there must be a target for processing time and sending... and if you do not co-operate to their satisfaction (I.E. getting the money for speeding) they will not do you for SP* and 60quid , they will do you for MS90 and 200 quid for "not cooperating to identify the driver of the vehicle" then try and get insurance cover for a high performance car...

what is classed as "not co-operating to identify the driver", even if you cannot honestly remeber who was driving at that time... by the police, they will do you for that... :rant:

but the worst bit is that the insurance like to re-word MS90 as "withholding eveidence from the police..." which entitles them to slap a 500quid premium on your insurance... for the next 5 years...

moral of the story ... JUST PAY THE TAX MAN (SORRY TRAFFIC POLICE)THE HIDDEN ROAD TAX UP FRONT!!! DONT CHALLENGE IT :yuck:

by the way I am not bitter at all by the UK legal system for road safety ... :dry:

Do not admit or deny is the best way but keep it diplomatic... at least you can have a chance with a human cop...

I always do that now!

I was once driving home at around 12 midnight, when some old fogie decided to pull out on me even though i was the only car on the road, as the road was wide i overtook him still doing 30-35 mph. as i was pulling back in a traffic cop came round the bend at the top of the hill and saw me. At which point he slammed on did a U-turn and caught me up by doing around 70-80mph up the road.

After he pulled me over he accused me of doing 50mph at which point i denied it because i wasn't he then went on saying he's been a traffic cop for 12years and i should get my clocks checked and i must have been doing 60 - 70mph!! i denied it again and he gave me a big letcher. Did a PNC check on my civic and let me go with a warning! I couln't believe it, i could only put it down to the fact i was wearing a baseball cap. ;) Idiot!

I got stopped every weekend for about three months in my first car. I was accused of everything from being on drugs to dangerously driving in first gear.....

My next car I got stopped once, speeding 3 points.

Next car, Lexus at 20 years old - never stopped!

350z - never stopped....... although there is a story behind this that I won't post about. PM if you want the details. I will say this though, the Zed is quicker than a traffic Range Rover.