Audi R8 test in Evo

Jacko

Anyone read this months Evo yet with the test with the Audi R8, Vantage Prodrive pack, BMW M6 and Carrera 4S with power kit.....

Well interesting reading for anyone that hasn't ..... you know how much Evo just love anything 911, well they absolutely rave about the R8!!!

Wins the test hands down....... they all get 5 stars :wacko: BUT they say the R8 has clearly moved the game on from Porsche!

Last line "Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today"....

:)

Oh and I nearly forgot, it was the 5th quickest car ever around their track for testing. Beat the Koenigsegg CCX, GT3 and Gallardo etc.........

Sold out to 2009 and with good reason. Autocar were very complimentary too and the DVD they gave away last week when they tested it with a Gallardo Superleggera, DB9 and a Veyron is well worth a watch. B)

I saw it in the flesh in Geneva and trust me no-one is going to mistake it for a Titty. It's certainly not my idea of a pretty car but very striking. :thumbs:

The R8 looks too similar to the TT and will be common as muck in a year or two :dry:

Can't see it being "common as muck at £85k!!

I know 3 people who are taking delivery of theirs in August :dry: My problem is that I've never desired an Audi like I have a Lamborghini :blush:

The R8 looks too similar to the TT and will be common as muck in a year or two :dry:

I know 3 people who are taking delivery of theirs in August :dry: My problem is that I've never desired an Audi like I have a Lamborghini :blush:

I really don't think they're direct competitors - there's still quite a price difference. The Audi's for people who would buy Porsches or Jags, who want the most efficient, reliable and practical day to day sports car. Lambos are an emotional purchase like Ferraris and Astons. The NSX was a great car but few people "desired" a Honda supercar either.

I saw it in the flesh in Geneva and trust me no-one is going to mistake it for a Titty. It's certainly not my idea of a pretty car but very striking. :thumbs:

Its a weird one..... sometimes I look at it and see it's very striking and different, brave at least. And I can see the appeal, especially from front three quarter view. And to look the best it has to have a lighter coloured "aeroblade" than the paint, looks so wrong when its darker.....

But, other angles, the whole front of the car (bonnet and wings etc) just looks too low in comparison with the the rest of the car...... and I'm certainly not sure on the rear. Looks a bit half hearted in comparison to the rest of the design.....

That said, the interior looks superb! And I love the LED running lights :)

But at least at the end of the day, you know you could run it hard every day as it will be cast iron being an Audi! And their customer service is great if anything does go wrong. Can see them sorting ANY problem out with this so quick, as its their first foray into a true sports car..... :thumbs:

My problem is that I've never desired an Audi like I have a Lamborghini :blush:

Completely agree mate, for me..... if I had that sort of money to spend, it would be the Gallardo EVERY TIME! :teeth:

btw, did anyone see bloody Gordon Ramsey again this week on F word. Driving a bloody Ferrari 599 the other week as a "delivery" vehicle and this week going to a farmers in Scotland in a Gallardo spider :cloud9:

Completely agree mate, for me..... if I had that sort of money to spend, it would be the Gallardo EVERY TIME! :teeth:

btw, did anyone see bloody Gordon Ramsey again this week on F word. Driving a bloody Ferrari 599 the other week as a "delivery" vehicle and this week going to a farmers in Scotland in a Gallardo spider :cloud9:

yeah B) Flash Barstool!!

i'll dream keep dreaming..

yeah B) Flash Barstool!!

i'll dream keep dreaming..

Saw a 599 parked up in Milan on Saturday (a fews cars down from the 612 and before the F430 :wacko: ) and it looked absolutely stunning. Pictures can't do justice to what a good-looking, purposeful motor this really is. Shame I never heard it run.... :thumbdown:

and Porsche are common as muck. They are everywhere

+1

And however much i LOVE this car, i dont think i would spend that money on it. For £85k i would get an Aston Vantage and have money left over. :thumbs:

The whole concept however i absolutly love, the styling, the colours, the curves, the interior, the little details they have and the sound. It is a stunning car and i love every aspect of it. But as i said above, i would not own one for some strange reason.

Spot on, Sarnie :thumbs:

The R8 is by all accounts a fantastic car, but if you were a 12 year old kid 99 out of 100 would take a Lambo. History, pedigree and desirability take years to establish...

Sold out to 2009 and with good reason. Autocar were very complimentary too and the DVD they gave away last week when they tested it with a Gallardo Superleggera, DB9 and a Veyron is well worth a watch. B)

The Gallardo sounded amazing on that DVD :teeth:

And however much i LOVE this car, i dont think i would spend that money on it. For £85k i would get an Aston Vantage and have money left over. :thumbs:

Problem is, to get a Vantage to be the car that Aston should have built initially you gotta get the Prodrive version which is over £100k! :wacko:

Sorry Jacko I disagree. A good mate of mine has recently taken delivery of an 07 V8 Vantage and it is one of the most engaging and exhilarating cars I have driven. the performance feels significantly greater than the 380 bhp it has on tap, the turn-in is razor sharp and the sound it makes is on another level.

The Gallardo sounded amazing on that DVD :teeth:

Have to say, watching the way they are sliding those supercars on public roads (presumably closed before anyone pipes up :) ) I have a new found respect for Sutters, Harris & Co. B)

Problem is, to get a Vantage to be the car that Aston should have built initially you gotta get the Prodrive version which is over £100k! :wacko:

But the Vantage is only the entry level Aston, its not there to compete with the Vanquish etc...and to that i agree in a way. However aston has never been there to compete with supercar power, its all down to the style B)

I look forward to Evo every month, and enjoy reading the views of Harry Metcalfe et al.

However ive read quite a few comments that say certain magazines (inc Evo) are influenced by advertising revenue and reviews can be biased. I'd like to think thats not the case for evo, but who knows......they do seem to have an unnatural love for the Fiat Panda 100HP....and a good relationship with ferrari :dry:

I do like the look of the R8 from most angles, but agree you cant compare with the Gallardo B)

Sorry Jacko I disagree. A good mate of mine has recently taken delivery of an 07 V8 Vantage and it is one of the most engaging and exhilarating cars I have driven. the performance feels significantly greater than the 380 bhp it has on tap, the turn-in is razor sharp and the sound it makes is on another level.

Yeah Trev maybe, again I'm going off what was said in the review. Obviously I haven't driven either of the Astons and would love to, but I guess their point was in this company, the Prodrive Aston is the way the Vantage should be, not the standard one. They are basically saying that the standard car is not quite as sporty as it can be......and against those cars, wouldn't be the best car.

Guess it all comes down to shades of grey when you talking about splitting 5 star cars! :thumbs:

But the Vantage is only the entry level Aston, its not there to compete with the Vanquish etc...and to that i agree in a way. However aston has never been there to compete with supercar power, its all down to the style B)

True Louis, but they built the Vantage to compete with cars like the 911 etc, not the Vanquish.....

Don't get me wrong, I'd have the Aston every day of the week over a 911! Just seems that from all the reviews I've read, that its not quite as "sporty" as it could be. The prodrive version is allegedly going to become Aston's "sportpack" version of the Vantage anyway.....

That is true, its there to compete with the lower end of the 911's but the turbo and GT1/2/3 etc...are competing with the Vanquish. In that respect, it isnt a competition i dont think as the Porsche wins hands down in the performance side of things, but not looks.

The prodrive aston will be awesome, hopefully i may see some and get more info at Prodrive on the 15th July