Audi R8 test in Evo

Jacko

Guess it all comes down to shades of grey when you talking about splitting 5 star cars! :thumbs:

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Mark. If you write for a magazine or drive supercars at 11/10ths all the time you might find the Vantage a touch disappointing without the Prodrive kit. However, most normal mortals will find it a fantastic car. B)

I just read the issue (huge Evo magazine fan!!!) - the R8 is a fantastic car, and cheers for Audi towards making a true halo sports car. Speaking as a long time Audi owner (V8 Quattro, S4 Bi Turbo, and now an A4 Avant 2.0 FSI Turbo), I think every major car manufacturer needs one, and this is a great first stab. But something about the car leaves me cold. The front end is absolutely brilliant - very evil, yet clean all at once. But it looks like a kit car to me. It doesn't have the same, I don't know, sexiness, that a Ferrari or Aston bring to the table. It also could just be that I'm getting older and the whole "look at me" trend is passing me by (I don't much like Lambo's either from a styling standpoint, sorry Sarnie lol).

Again, as a first real stab as a car company with now global reach, at a first true sports car, its a great effort - I just don't find myself lusting after it.

I look forward to Evo every month, and enjoy reading the views of Harry Metcalfe et al.

However ive read quite a few comments that say certain magazines (inc Evo) are influenced by advertising revenue and reviews can be biased. I'd like to think thats not the case for evo, but who knows......they do seem to have an unnatural love for the Fiat Panda 100HP....and a good relationship with ferrari :dry:

I do like the look of the R8 from most angles, but agree you cant compare with the Gallardo B)

Mark - at some point you'll always hear these critiques of any publication that derives profit from advertising revenue. One could easily say Top Gear (Clarkeson in particular) have a "bent" towards certain marques as well. The way I look at it is this - I'm not dropping $10 US per issue to merely have my "cause" supported - I'm buying it for the fantastic photography, witty writing, and the feeling that the truly great car authors can convey about how the car feels...it's attitude. If that means that they are automatically 911 fanboys, or what have you, so be it.

As for the articles on the Punto, the Espace, and things of this nature...I could care less, so I pass them on the same way I pass over the insurance ads in the back. I could care less how exhilirating the new Twingo is :)

• 2 weeks later...