Trackdays

zxrob

Trackdays are great fun imo Rob whatever you drive. B) Done quite a few myself over the years and I've always got a great buzz from doing them in my car's. First one I did was in a standard 1992 Rover 214si and I loved it. Got over taken on the straights by Sierra Cosworths, Caterhams and all manner of faster vehicles but out cornered a lot of faster cars which made my day. :D

In this country you can't really let your car go and see what she can really give you on the normal roads - so the only way you get to experience the full animal is to track her

Definitely worth doing

I'm afraid I'm going to add the caveat though - if you're going to take the car up closer to it's limits - 1) make sure it's in good order and properly serviced, with good rubber and 2) Be aware that her limits may be higher than yours

(Don't take that amiss - I'm only too aware of my own limitations being more a restriction than the car's)

But then - go do it and - enjoy !

Ive noticed that the car track days people arent as considerate. On the bike everyone seems to be a little more curtious and forgiving but as soon as people get in their boxes they turn into idiots! I think people feel invincible in their cars but fast road driving is nothing like driving on the edge at the track.

Got over taken on the straights by Sierra Cosworths, Caterhams and all manner of faster vehicles but out cornered a lot of faster cars which made my day. :D

That is also the case with bikes, large capacity machines (1000cc) mullering you down the starights and pootling around the corners

Rob

In this country you can't really let your car go and see what she can really give you on the normal roads - so the only way you get to experience the full animal is to track her

Definitely worth doing

I'm afraid I'm going to add the caveat though - if you're going to take the car up closer to it's limits - 1) make sure it's in good order and properly serviced, with good rubber and 2) Be aware that her limits may be higher than yours

(Don't take that amiss - I'm only too aware of my own limitations being more a restriction than the car's)

One of your pics looks like oulton park ????

What kind of time would you be going around in the car (pesume full circuit)

Cheers Rob

trackdays in cars are great - i'd imagine you can be a lot more liberal with cornering stance, and dance the car through corners in the way you couldnt a bike. I'm guessing even the slightest rear slide on a bike normally ends in a rear slide for you, but in a car trying to constantly balance the understeer/oversteer is what makes it so awesome (or is that just my narrow tyres?)

Also on car days, you can scare passengers :stir:

i generally find car days are pretty well driven - you occasionally get the knob who turns up in a racecar and tries to outbrake you and barge through on the inside of turns, but normal roadcars are very curteous.

Biggest difference is no overtaking without being invited with cars, I know on bike days the guy behind is responsible for the guy in front which would lead to utter carnage on a car day :D

Probably not quite as exhilarating but not having the constant fear of death can be nice sometimes :lol:

trackdays in cars are great - i'd imagine you can be a lot more liberal with cornering stance, and dance the car through corners in the way you couldnt a bike. I'm guessing even the slightest rear slide on a bike normally ends in a rear slide for you, but in a car trying to constantly balance the understeer/oversteer is what makes it so awesome (or is that just my narrow tyres?)

Also on car days, you can scare passengers :stir:

i generally find car days are pretty well driven - you occasionally get the knob who turns up in a racecar and tries to outbrake you and barge through on the inside of turns, but normal roadcars are very curteous.

Last few track days that I did I found it was the opposite unfortunately. Basically scally idiots turning up in £500 sh*t boxes driving them like they stole them. :rant: I remember this one time I was on track in my old 1996 Corsa Sport at Castle Combe and this idiot in a 1980's Audi tried out braking me in to the Esses (a chicane). He lost control went sideways across the grass and nearly took out a fellow driver exiting the other side of the Esses. :angry: Marshalls eventually black flagged the guy but it was obvious he didn't care about the car and thought he was Michael Schumacher. Thankfully it's not always like that otherwise I wouldn't do track days but you can get some idiots who get carried away with the crowds watching them.

Definitely worth doing

One of your pics looks like oulton park ????

What kind of time would you be going around in the car (pesume full circuit)

Cheers Rob

Rob

Yes, it was Oulton Park

Can't remember the lap times - honestly - they weren't anything special and I wasn't able to keep up with a couple of Caterhams, anyway!