Locking Wheel Under Braking, Possible ABS Sensor?

andygore

Hi guys and girls.

I am having a few issues with my 2004 GT. I have recently done a track day and I found towards the end of the day the front off side wheel kept locking.

Since then is I brake heavily the same wheel keeps locking up. I am not getting an ABS light come up but there is definitely something I miss!

I took off the caliper and had a quick look and the seals seem to look good and there is plenty of tread on the pad. Apart from the amount of brake dust in the area it all looks ok, so nothing looks iffy on this side.

The only other thing I can think off is that the ABS sensor has picked up a lot of brake dust and is not reading. I can see where the sensor cable goes into the hub, but I cant seem to find the sensor itself. How can I get to the sensor, and is there a good way to clean this to make sure it is not clogged up?

Does anyone have any ideas why the wheel could be locking up?

Thanks in advance!

Hi mate you are not alone! I suffered exactly the same thing you describe!!.

I just recently did Bedford GT circuit trackday and the abs was absent in the wet and oeriodically activating on a drying track! To compound issues my 1.5 LSD is too tight especially in the wet and I need to readjust the locking to 60-80% and reduce initial torque to make it perfect for grip driving.

I'll have a go at taking out the sensors and giving them a clean before I try anything else. Let me know how you get on if you do it before me.

The sensor is on the end of the sensor cable and removing the 12mm headed bolt on the inside of the hub will allow removal of the sensor.

The magnetic pick up ring on the inside of the hub bearing is where the sensor marries up to.

Preowned front hub bearings/sensor magnetic rings and ABS sensors are all in stock if required and good to go same/next day.

Just drop me a PM if I can help you further.

Alex. :)

Did you check that the caliper pistons are moving freely and not stuck? other than that I would also try bleeding the system as if there was air present in the side the air would heat up and hold the pads in contact with the disc and cause overheat issues, which could cause lock up.

From my end the brakeline is air free and the callipers were fully overhauled and new discs/ pads installed and runouts fully checked to be within acceptable specs.

I had no issues with brake or pad fade just absence of abs activation on heavy braking variably.

The issue is defo sensors or abs pump. I'll check and clean sensors and rings first and go from there.

The sensor is on the end of the sensor cable and removing the 12mm headed bolt on the inside of the hub will allow removal of the sensor.

The magnetic pick up ring on the inside of the hub bearing is where the sensor marries up to.

Preowned front hub bearings/sensor magnetic rings and ABS sensors are all in stock if required and good to go same/next day.

:lol: out of retirement?

I will still be around guys to share the love, and informed technical advice when required will always be readily available.

Alex :)

I will still be around guys to share the love, and informed technical advice when required will always be readily available.

Alex :)

Did you check that the caliper pistons are moving freely and not stuck? other than that I would also try bleeding the system as if there was air present in the side the air would heat up and hold the pads in contact with the disc and cause overheat issues, which could cause lock up.

The pistons seems fine, it slides free and seals look ok.

I will try and get the abs sensor out, from past experience I know this cab be a pain in the ass. But i'll call upon the powers of WD40. Hopefully this will fix it.

Cheers Guys!!