Car won't start, help!

brillomaster

So Monday morning, car doesnt start - starter motor tries to turn over, getting worse and worse until eventually nothing happening. Fairly straightforward flat battery. Its been on the way out for a while, so i get a replacement Bosch one.

Battery arrives yesterday, i swap it in for the old one, and do a test fire up. starter motor chugs away, engine catches and starts fine. Problem solved i think. I leave it idling a minute and then switch off and come in.

However, this morning, same thing again, but no starting. starter motor can be heard turning with the vigour only a fresh battery can give, but car not starting! Not coughing or spluttering or trying to start, nothing. just the sound of the starter motor going.

my knowledge of engines extends to needing all of air, fuel and spark to start, but i dont know any further than that!

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance!

(its a standard 2003 350z)

Can you put a meter on the new battery and see how much power/volts its got?

Just thinking out loud but it may be that the battery had enough power to start your car when it was delivered, but this was used when you started your car and let it idle. My understanding is the car won't charge your battery on tickover, so you may of discharged the battery just enough to prevent it from having the power to start it again.

Personally when starting the car yesterday, I'd have gone for a bit of a drive around to let the alternator put some juice back into your new battery.

Just my thoughts though mate. I hope it's something simple.

Can you put a meter on the new battery and see how much power/volts its got?

Just thinking out loud but it may be that the battery had enough power to start your car when it was delivered, but this was used when you started your car and let it idle. My understanding is the car won't charge your battery on tickover, so you may of discharged the battery just enough to prevent it from having the power to start it again.

Personally when starting the car yesterday, I'd have gone for a bit of a drive around to let the alternator put some juice back into your new battery.

Just my thoughts though mate. I hope it's something simple.

I'm with Ian, try this before you go any further, it's almost too coincidental that it started last nigh and not this morning. The battery could have been sat on the shelf for a while and you took just enough out of it last night.

Im pretty sure it isnt the battery, the starter motor is chugging away no problem. also, when i turn the ignition on the voltage reads 14v, whereas when the flat battery was in it was reading around 8v.

will poke around this evening to make sure i havent accidently disconnected something, but if that doesnt work i'll try a pedal dance and get any error codes.

i guess thats possible... if it is that, how do i de-flood an engine? i'm going to give it another try this evening, see if i can get anything out of it.

Also, done a search for the error code reading guide, but can only find the one to reset the ecu, which i dont think is what i want to do... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Im pretty sure it isnt the battery, the starter motor is chugging away no problem. also, when i turn the ignition on the voltage reads 14v, whereas when the flat battery was in it was reading around 8v.

will poke around this evening to make sure i havent accidently disconnected something, but if that doesnt work i'll try a pedal dance and get any error codes.

correct battery amperage wise?

i guess thats possible... if it is that, how do i de-flood an engine? i'm going to give it another try this evening, see if i can get anything out of it.

Also, done a search for the error code reading guide, but can only find the one to reset the ecu, which i dont think is what i want to do... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

I had this years ago with another car, don't know if the same would apply to the Z.

It was caused by me only running the car for a few seconds when cold.

I called out the RAC man, all he did was keep turning it over until it coughed into life, took a while though!

In the old days you would de-flood an engine by starting it with your foot fully on the throttle. This would mechanically open the butterfly valve fully and thereby much more air would come in and some surplus fuel would evaporate. However, with drive by wire etc, I haven't got a clue (that's helpful isn't it). Does the same not apply?

Had you checked the old battery was shagged before you got a new one ? Not just out off juice ? Some times a starter motor can turn over but not make the connection it needs to work right. If you are local to bb7 area I could have a look at it. If not I would bump start it to get it going and take it to a good garage to check it out ,

seems mc was indeed closest... tried it last night and it eventually started again, after about 15 seconds on the starter motor.

just out of interest, as per NeilMHs comment, does the 350z prefer no throttle or full throttle to clear a flooded engine? i guess seeing as its drive by wire, it will only open the throttle when it is ready?

I think your reading that wrong. A fully charged battery is usually about 12.6-12.8v. Only once the car is running with the alternator will it go up to 14.4v. Also you should go on the voltage of when a load is added e.g. cranked.

I'd check all the fuses going to the battery and the fuse boxes too.

Usually foot to the floor when starting helps to clear out the engine.