Y pipe and Cats

Daryl

Well I found out yesterday that my cats and my Y pipe have had it, so need replacing. Wondering if its possible to get new standards cats, or if everyone just goes down the HFC route? Also wondering what the general concensus on what Y pipes are good. I currently run a Scorpion unresonated exhaust. Dont like the look of the Stillen, as they dont seem to have any flexi joints, which I cant see as being a good thing, but happy to be told otherwise. Didnt know if anyone was planning of selling anything, or any traders had specials on. My car currently sounds like a bag of spanners, so need to get this sorted this week.

But the flexis don't flex in that way I don't think. The engine will rock side to side and I don't see how the flexis will help. Also the normal Y pipe design looks worse than the stillen. Has slotted weak points and the flexis will fail after about a year. I don't think stillen would sell the y pipe of it would fail but the convential y pipe alway fails in the same place even if it's oem, Japspeed or nismo.

The engine rocks backwards and forwards too under acceleration and backing off surely. Not saying your wrong, just my view that nobody else sells a Y pipe that is solid, all the others have flexi joint,which makes manufacturing them harder, and more expensive than having some bent pipes welded up.

Open to being wrong obviously. Im sure the Stillen is very well made, but dont know why its as expensive as others when it appears to be cheaper to make.

The engine rocks backwards and forwards too under acceleration and backing off surely. Not saying your wrong, just my view that nobody else sells a Y pipe that is solid, all the others have flexi joint,which makes manufacturing them harder, and more expensive than having some bent pipes welded up.

Open to being wrong obviously. Im sure the Stillen is very well made, but dont know why its as expensive as others when it appears to be cheaper to make.

I've not heard of a stillen pipe that's failed. Why is anything more expensive than anything, development costs. Your money you can buy what you please though. If my flexis have failed again this year I'm getting a stillen.

The motordyne Xyz pipe can have a cat or straight through pipe. Pricey though.

I understand what you are saying, Im just asking if not having the flexi joints puts more pressure on things like the headers thats all, as they are the only bit that is fixed, as they are bolted to the engine. Maybe there is enough movement in the bushes.

Id go for a y pipe with flexis in personally, they do help with the movement of the exhaust. I had a cobra item and it was great quality

also if you fancied decats would be the better option whilst your there, youll just need a friendly mot tester

Daryl - having sold a number of Ypipes over the years I can tell you the Stillen is better than the Cobra and will last a lot longer,

However, the best is the Motordyne XYZ pipe, you can have straight pipe, resonated or with HFC.

I'm ordering from both companies next week so feel free to let me know if I can help.

It would work out about the same price to order an XYZ with HFC and decats as it would to order HFCs and Ypipe so if it was me I would go Motordyne/decats everyday of the week

Chris

• Like 1

The Flexi thing has been discussed a few times before. It makes sense because of the movement of the engine, but even with that in mind, I don't think anyone has had a Stillen fail. It might be interesting to contact Stillen to ask them about their choice. Also worth noting that some Invidia Gemini systems don't have flexi's. Mine does, but I think BulletMagnets doesn't.

• Like 1