Air Bag Warning Light - Won't Stay Off

Stutopia

On the way home from work the air bag warning light popped up. I had a quick rustle under the seats, checked everything looked secure, nothing loose, did the reset from here

http://www.350z-uk.com/index.php?showtopic=3047

and it went away. However, 5 minutes later it's back on. Grrrrrrr. Any suggestions from here for further fiddling or do I have an actual genuine light I need to go and get looked at?

Going to have a proper ratch around after tea, once I've kicked off the suit. What colour leads should I be examining down there? Is it yellow?

Thanks anyone.

Checked them more closely now, all look and feel secure (who knew there were so many?). Disconnected battery. Left her five. Still there.

I've reset again and gone, very short drive, not appeared again, left her to think about what she's done overnight.

Just out of interest. When the light is on does that mean the system is disarmed? Or likely to explode in my face any second?

I think you'll find it's just disarmed, so no need to drive along with your arm over your face.

In the past I've resorted to sticking a little bit of black tape over the flashing light (it's sooooooo annoying, isn't it?).

My personal recommendation would be to just keep using the reset procedure (sometimes I've had to do it a few times before it works), which gives you an unpredictable amount of time before the bl00dy thing starts to flash again - and fingers crossed it doesn't start to flash when you're giving a test drive to the bloke who wants to buy it.

I'm pretty sure it'll be a connection somewhere. The yellow parts may be tight but the connection inside them either end may be loose. Try pushing the wires into the connector a bit. Hopefully that'll stop it for a while :thumbs:

Cheers fellas. I've got a friendly tech next door who'll hook it up to his super computer if it comes back on tomorrow. Hopefully that'll at least give me a connector, or area, to check once more.

She was in for a lip respray today, you don't think some overspray could've snuck into one of the front impact sensors? I know it's a long shot but...

I always find if anyone leaves anything in the footwell (no doubt hits or goes under the seat) it comes one. So I normally just scream at the misses to get her crap in the boot :teeth:

I don't really allow passengers as such, they add weight and clutter and think it's appropriate to eat and/or drink inside the car ;)

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 1

Also reseat it in the SRS unit (you have to remove the armrest housing and its under there)

When/if you get the error again, do the key combination and take note of what its telling you is wrong at least then you have an idea which seat or airbag is mucking about.

You will not be able to clear this fault as i tried all the above over a 3 week period. Its a common fault on the 350Z & a host of other cars especially when fitted with heated seats as it dries the terminals out. A cheap fix by a decent Auto Electrician cost me £35

You will not be able to clear this fault as i tried all the above over a 3 week period. Its a common fault on the 350Z & a host of other cars especially when fitted with heated seats as it dries the terminals out. A cheap fix by a decent Auto Electrician cost me £35

what was the cheap fix? Hard wiring the connections under the seats?

Stu if it happens again, you can read the faults from the flashing SrS light. It will tell you exactly which item triggered the light to come on. There's 6 airbags, seat tensioners and the control unit. All have a different sequence of flashes.

Check my posts regarding SRS. They will help you to find it and also how to tighten the connection on the yellow wires. On the phone now so can't help much more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by timb2010

Stu if it happens again, you can read the faults from the flashing SrS light. It will tell you exactly which item triggered the light to come on. There's 6 airbags, seat tensioners and the control unit. All have a different sequence of flashes.

Check my posts regarding SRS. They will help you to find it and also how to tighten the connection on the yellow wires. On the phone now so can't help much more.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Nice one, I'll check it out.

When in self diagnostics mode i'm seeing the 2sec off, 3 sec on repetition. According to the manual:

ScreenShot2013-10-26at183815_zps3a2426c2.png

Like the OP's, mine seems to keep returning :(

The "MOT Bible" states:

A Supplementary Restraint System (SRS) malfunction indicator lamp:

symbol may be displayed.

• inoperative

• indicating a system malfunction.

But this light pattern indicates an old fault and just requires erasing. Is this technically not an MOT fail? (admittedly, i'd love having to explain this to an MOT tester lol)

Edited by Mctwist