Air filters (again)

Steel Lynx

Since the previous Air filters thread has been archived, I thought I would start another one.

As well as the exhaust system and uprev I'm planning, I thought it might also be an idea to sort out some breathing for the car and get that and the exhaust done before the uprev.

Now what I'd like to know is what are the best filters for the 370Z these days? I think the previous thread is a few years old now so I guess things may have changed a bit. And since my knowledge of modifying is limited (read sod all) would like some opinions and ideas about what I might be looking for.

Thanks in advance :)

Intakes are filters. Panel filters are what are on your car at the moment housed inside air boxes. Intakes delete these air boxes and more often than not are cone shaped. There are a few intake variants such as short ram (like takedas) which sit in your engine bay pretty much wher the air boxes sit. These would come with heat shields to deflect heat from your engine block being sucked in through the intakes. Stillens sit at the front of your car behind the bumper therefore you cannot generally see them but they have access to cooler air over the short ram variants meaning less heat soak.

Have a look at Tarmac's website as he stocks several different intake systems for your cars with pics

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/products.aspx?CategoryId=a8d1e195-0ca7-481c-a47c-b9447bbd504

I have takeda's on my HR supplied by him and they are a quality bit of kit for the price but probably not the "best filters" if absolute performance is you goal. Ultimately tho none of these systems are going to gain you any significant horsepower. Its all about the added noise and the looks IMO!

• Like 1

I'm not necessarily after power gains from the intake, I'm more interested in improving the efficiency of it (nice sounding is always a bonus though) Thank you for the information. Looks like someone's going to be making quite a bit of cash from me once I've got the funds together (looks at Tarmac and Abbey) :D

EDIT: Do I need plenum spacers as well? Lol

Edited by Steel Lynx
  • Like 1

I'm not necessarily after power gains from the intake, I'm more interested in improving the efficiency of it (nice sounding is always a bonus though) Thank you for the information. Looks like someone's going to be making quite a bit of cash from me once I've got the funds together (looks at Tarmac and Abbey) :D

EDIT: Do I need plenum spacers as well? Lol

Not on the 370 buddy, You can get the M370 motordyne http://www.motordyneengineering.com/index.php?cPath=4_14 Not got it on the website yet though

I use the Cosworth filters - can't say I noticed any performance change, but then when the car is already pushing out some 350bhp an extra bhp or two is not going to give a 'wow' factor but at least I know the car is breathing well, and a damn sight better than its owner!

• Like 1

From what I have read about on the interwebs, Stillen Gen 3's appear to be the best for gains, cold air intake and cost.

I've come to that conclusion myself though.

http://www.tarmacsportz.co.uk/GB/370z_STILLEN_Generation_3_Ultra_Long_Tube_Dual_Intake_Kit/370Z-402852_.aspx

That's what I'll be getting come intake time, unless something second hand comes up that I have an interest in.

Just need to settle on an exhaust now, then I'll have a direction to go in.

Power is really a side effect at this point, only experience and time in the car will improve my driving and times now.

I'm purely getting the intake and exhaust for an audible factor as the OEM set up is dire. Totally dire.

• 2 months later...

To get the best out of any form induction whether if it's cheap or costs the earth, is to have some type of cold air feed. You could put a pair of ol' granny tights over end if you wanted to, it'll still do the job as a filter.But a cold air feed is what apparently makes the difference (albeit small)

Edited by Rock_Steady