Y-pipe from US for £120 delivered - any good?

pmorg4

When I bought my 350z, I soon realised that my Y-pipe was blowing on flexis on both sides. Sourced an OEM replacement in supposedly good condition, which lasted a few months and is now similarly disintegrating. Lesson learned - buy junk, buy twice, and the Nissan OEM system sure appears to be the highest grade junk!

So I'm looking for a reasonably priced replacement, that does the job of the OEM system and won't fall apart at the first hint of some moisture. I'm not interested in supposed performance increases or super-shiny parts that no-one other then the exhaust fitter will ever see :D

Came across this on fleabay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380734779678?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Looks reasonable, but does anyone have any knowledge of this system, particularly around the flexi pipes? I guess the downside of buying from the US is the cost and hassle if it does decide to fall apart, but surely it has to be better than the OEM junk?

Thanks!

Thanks for the input. The Cobra looks good, but it's over twice the price. For something that can't be seen when it's fitted and I'm sceptical that any power gains will be noticed on the road, I'm just looking for something that will do the job of OEM but won't fall apart. Maybe the Japspeed isn't much better than OEM in that regard from what I've heard however!

My alternative that I've considered is a UK-based company who sell Y-pipes on eBay from time to time for £150 with a lifetime guarantee on the pipework and 2 years on the flexis. I may end up going for that for peace of mind, rather than chancing it on a US part that won't be worth sending back if it falls apart.

Thanks for the input. The Cobra looks good, but it's over twice the price. For something that can't be seen when it's fitted and I'm sceptical that any power gains will be noticed on the road, I'm just looking for something that will do the job of OEM but won't fall apart. Maybe the Japspeed isn't much better than OEM in that regard from what I've heard however!

My alternative that I've considered is a UK-based company who sell Y-pipes on eBay from time to time for £150 with a lifetime guarantee on the pipework and 2 years on the flexis. I may end up going for that for peace of mind, rather than chancing it on a US part that won't be worth sending back if it falls apart.

If you can't afford new y pipe, cheaper option to buy new flexi bits! Cut old ones off and stick new ones on! :)

I got a full cat back duplex s/s exhaust fitted for £449 from long life exhausts and it sounds awesome get a full system upgrade the Z needs one

I'm more of an OEM person - I want it to look and sound standard, which usually means sticking with standard. Pity when you buy a Nissan, OEM also means it will disintegrate before your eyes :lol:

Edited by pmorg4

If you can't afford new y pipe, cheaper option to buy new flexi bits! Cut old ones off and stick new ones on! :)

It's not that I can't afford, it's that I don't see the point in spending twice the amount for what I expect is no tangible benefit :)

I didn't realise you can buy flexis separately. Where do you get them and how are they fitted? That may be a better option - stick with OEM and replace the flexis every oil service B)

Cheers

The one you have posted will no doubt fall apart very easily. As you said, " buy junk, buy twice." That pipe you've looked at is junk.

A good y-pipe will costs you money unfortunately. You are saying that paying a lot with no tangible benefit doesn't suit. If I were you I'd like to think of the benefit as the fact it won't fall apart after a few months :thumbs:

Edited by Neilp

Anything that has japspeed on it is generally junk, once you receive this from the US you will find it probably wont fit properly and you will be in a chop shop spending more money modifying the underside of your car/y pipe with no product support from the seller. Search for 'japspeed' and 'crap' on the site there will be plenty of posts for you to read through. If those japspeed bits were any good you wouldn't see so many people opting for cobras and the like. Pay the money and have peace of mind...

I had a Japspeed and the flexis went within a year. They have a reputation of being poor quality.

My Cobra was at the time the cheapest, decent Y-pipe and its doing sterling work. Quality shows.

If you want to fit your own flexis just search on line. They are not expensive but you will have to have them welded in. Its still cheaper than a new Y pipe though.

If you fancy a practice you can have my old Japspeed Y pipe and put new flexis in that, I can't be arsed. £20 + postage which will be about £7.00 :teeth:

Thanks for the input guys. I get what you're saying, and I appreciate being told to steer clear of the Japspeed stuff.

When I mentioned that the Cobra part was double the price, I wasn't comparing to the US-listed Japspeed (in which case it's closer to three times the price) but to the UK-listed Y pipe that is sold on eBay for £160 delivered. This pipe has a lifetime warranty, excluding flexis which have a two-year warranty. Which I believe is on a par with most of the higher cost Y pipes on the market.

I've since found the link to the £160 pipe I previously mentioned. I believe this has been discussed on the forum in the past, and has been recommended by a few members (albeit I've no idea how long it's been installed to test longevity):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NISSAN-350-Z-Y-PIPE-/261297809279?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cd690277f

I might have a go at the replacement flexi option. I have several friends who can weld, and my original OEM Y pipe is probably still at my friend's place, as I left it in the scrap metal pile and he doesn't recycle metal parts that often (he has his own workshop so tends to do this kind of thing in bulk). I quite like the idea of an OEM+ option - based on the OEM exhaust, but replacing all the junk parts that Nissan failed to get right. I expect the next target will be the flange on the back box :D

Does anyone know the size of flexi parts required to do the replacement? Assume the diameter is 2.5", and I can measure the ones on my old Y pipe, but my mate's place is about 15 miles away. Might go have a look tomorrow.

Regarding flexi bits - I've ordered 2.5 diameter and 6" long! Cut old flexi off today - new ones slightly wider...u got about 1-2mm gap, but that can be filled with weld! :) just do one by one so before you weld new one on- u can compare to other side to see what it should look like (angles etc)