Brembo's Pads, Brakes !

M350ZB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ferodo DS2500 are without doubt far superior to the EBC and definately worth the extra cost.

what, for a car that sees the track twice a year or similar? bah, not in my case they aren't... it's all about what you do with your Z imo

similar reasoning can be applied to forged and cast wheels ?

:p;)

not really :bleh:

heavy cast wheels actually hinder performance/handling, here we are talking about both pads improving vs oem :p

brakes are bought to improve braking; 9/10 wheels are bought for how they look not improve performance, so in that sense zzz is right in saying cast wheels are an improvment over oem wheels :D

but are they twice the price better?

I guess it would depend on what use you make of your Z...

& in your own words you have just agreed with me regarding our long standing discussion regarding wheels. I didnt think that forged wheels are neccesary for me considering they were 4 times the price & i dont go on the track.

Guest prescience
but are they twice the price better?

I guess it would depend on what use you make of your Z...

& in your own words you have just agreed with me regarding our long standing discussion regarding wheels. I didnt think that forged wheels are neccesary for me considering they were 4 times the price & i dont go on the track.

Your golf is already improving after my advice, you chipped that one in from off the green :p

Ferodo DS2500 are without doubt far superior to the EBC and definately worth the extra cost.

what, for a car that sees the track twice a year or similar? bah, not in my case they aren't... it's all about what you do with your Z imo

Sorry don't agree, the additional confidence on the road is well worth the extra, of course if you never really drive the car then I can accept your point.

But in your case you shop at Lidl, supposedly to save money for zed stuff, then you buy the cheapest option :surrender:

whatever guys..... :lol:

redstuffs=improvement over oem=£99 we all agree, right?

DS2500=better than redstuffs=£175.

£76 better than redstuffs? not imo, and not for the use my car sees

so in my case I've still improved over oem pads, AND saved £76 (win-win)

cast heavy mofo wheels=heavier than std oems=worse than oem=worse performance

you tell me how the 2 things are related :lol:

76 quid over 10000miles (approx of life of the pads...)

= less than 1pence/mile extra over the life of the pads,

for the extra piece of mind that you have a pad that will retain its better braking performance over the life of the pad, compared to other pads, where the braking performance will degrade with time....

0.1p more/ mile for greater safety and performance....

cast or forged is a performance enhancement, not a safety enhancement (I will say there is a small indirect safety enhancement in lower unsprung weight but this is a marginal issue)that some people will notice but majority won't in their normal driving life...

if we say you pay 500 quid more for 30,000miles of average vehicle ownership... it works at around 2p/mile (It will be higher if you drive less than this... !)

Pay 0.1pence/mile for extra safety or pay 2p/mile for cool wheels that reduce unsprung mass make you quicker (marginally)? and therefore need better brakes... :p

Look I am not saying EBC are bad... not at all, I am of the opinion the same as you with CAST and FORGED, for the sake of 0.1p extra/mile i rather have the best pad i can afford.

I don't have data for EBC specifically, however I have seen deterioration curves for different brake pad compounds under different types of test, during vehicle development and it does happen, they will deteriorate in performance, not to cause any concern but they do.

Of course it depends on usage, and the bottom line is that if the std. OEM pads can lock the wheels up, what more performance do you need?

The only thing to say to this is, can OEM perform at extremes of usage?, the answer is probably no, as it is designed for real world usage and cannot cover 100% of all usage in the markets, and there are some trade-offs against brake noise , wear amount etc...

This is where better pads come into play, focusing on some performance aspect (in this case high speed , high temperature braking, and fade resistance performance) and sacrificing on others (Noise, wear, cold performance etc...), in order to cover a specific "harder usage"

I don't consider the extra cost a big burden on the overall cost of running the car for the sake of extra piece of mind (and I recognise it is EXTRA piece of mind...) & I am not disregarding EBC pads, but I decided on Ferodo, based on the fact that they are the same OEM supplier, they have a greater reputation/history (know-how) than EBC, and that in other Nissan and Honda vehicles I worked with, they have always performed better than whatever they tested at the time...

I will say however that the Ferodo don't half shed brake dust!

That's my approach anyway...

agree 100% on what you say Zzzz but you can't say it's the same argument as with aftermarket cast vs forged wheels imo.

simply because as I just said, both EBC and DS2500 improve braking, whereas heavy cast wheels don't improve on oem wheels, quite the opposite! do you see where I'm coming from?

yep, i was trying to wind you up cos' i know your strong stance on wheels...

:thumbs:;)

(I'm with you on the forge/cast issue, but also see that many people will nover really benefit from forged wheels... so not worth their money.)

good crack...now who can i wind up next.... :p:p:p:p:p:p