Brembo's Pads, Brakes !

M350ZB

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else using EBC Yellowstuff ?

They are rated by EBC as higher than Redstuff ( ie suitabe for track and road, Red are only rated as suitable for road ), yet are only a few pounds more expensive than Redstuff.

Got them from BigPhil, been very happy with them, surprised no-one else has mentioned them :huh:

Gus

:rant:

from what i can gather :

( i have been checking the owners manual )

and as a rough over dealer sloppy timing...

0. open hood and unscrew brake reservoir cap and wrap with some cloth to prevent brake fluid spillage to paint work..

1. Jack up 1 corner= 1 minute

2. Remove wheel= 1 minute

3. Remove 2 clips from brembo caliper. = 30 seconds

4. Remove retaining pins and spring. = 10 seconds

5. remove pads = 1 minute

6. push brake piston in ( by hand is possible)= 1-2 minutes

7. Copper grease the pad. 1 minute

8. Slot pad in. = 2 minutes

9. Fit pins and sprin = 1 minute

10. Fit pin retaining clips. = 1 minute

11. Fit wheel again= 2 minutes

12. Torque check the wheel fixings..=30 seconds

I think it can be done in around 10 minutes per wheel, with dealer lifts and tools...

so 40 minutes which will end up being 1 hour...plus pads...

the annoying thing is that 2 brake pads will take 20 minutes but i bet they still charge an hours labour... :rant:

Background for the Question i Need to ask...

I have just replaced the pads (37k,I don't think they are from new...)

Anyway replaced them because the Rears where making a grinding noise ( like the back plate of the pad was touching the disc... :scare: ) (Ferodo DS2500, thanks Big Phil! :thumbs: )

Anyway, I had my P3 service less than 2 month ago and 2k miles ago, where brake pads IS an inspection point... and perhaps should have noticed pads wearing out...IF THEY INSPECTED...

Fronts had loads of meat in them 5mm thick...

but noticed the Inner pads where more worn (3mm left?)

When I replaced the RR found LH was OK at around 3mm outer and 2mm inner pad (so just ready for replacement....)

But the RR RH had 4mm on the outer and BARE METAL BACK on the inner!!!!

QUESTIONS FOR YOU ALL!

1. Have you noticed the inner pads wearing quicker than the Outer pads?

2. Has anyone noticed One side wearing quicker than the other?

Because I have no idea of what the previous owner did... I want to try and get an idea if there is a problem with my calipers. or maybe the previous owner nreplaced some pads and not the others! ( I surely hope not!!! :scare: )

Anyway I'm back to ultra braking performance :yahoo:

and already noticeable after 25miles ... (you would expect so if I was using back plates of pads to brake!!! :blush: )

by the way, 1hour:20 minutes for my first attempt at brake pad replacement...

Same as mine mate. Rears were more worn than fronts and rear n/s was more than o/s.

Also confirm that inners were significantly more worn than outers and also that they were down to the "squealers", especially on n/s inner - just about down to the backing plate. My timing on getting them done was perfect, literally a hundred miles more would have been backing plate onto disc :scare:

I had around 33k on them and they were oem - I've had the car since 3777 miles so can account for virtually all of the wear on the pads.

Looks like its normal.

That's good news... I was worried there for a bit...

i got mine to the backing plate last night getting to my house... I reckon I had around 5 miles of backing plate to disc contact... :scare:

but on detail inspection all seems well...

:yahoo:

Thanks for the info... :thumbs:

hummm maybe...

today i had a spirited run cross country to the banbury run ( classic motorcycles) and when they get hot the Rears started squealing like little piglets in the slaughter house... :rant:

I copper greased everything ( including leading edges of the pads as mentioned in the owners manual... ) bedded the brakes as mentioned in the instructions.. :rant:

and on top of that got a slightly spongy pedal... ARRRGHH :rant: frustrated as I am going to have to have the pads out, check it all over again...and bleed the brake system... maybe not a 1.5 hours job... :dry:

but braking performance !!!! unbelievable... I find myself stopping way to early into the bends compared to my previous breaking points, and I am now learning to leave it later for the braking... : :DB)

not replaced fluid yet... as I only had the NISSAN approved P3 service, where they should have told me I was in in my last few mm of pad... (IT IS an inspection point...!!!) and in this service they did replace the brake fluid... but it seems i might just do that now ... might as well... :dry:

as for braided steel lines... I am not going to bother, I can understand the purpose , but I am not sure of the increase in performance. And the brake as they are, I think are over an above my requirements ( or should it be capability ? :blush: )....

I think at this moment I need to keep an eye on the RR discs even though I could not see any damage to it from the metal backing plate touching the disc... it could have some small scoring causing the squeal when the discs get hot...

• 3 weeks later...
Just to add my recent main dealer experience to the fun, they wanted to charge me £198 for replacing the front pads.

In their own words they "only" had 20% life left......

So I told them to poke it.

For £185 you can have a full car set of Ferodo DS2500 pads and fit them yourself in an hour.

Just to add my recent main dealer experience to the fun, they wanted to charge me £198 for replacing the front pads.

For £185 you can have a full car set of Ferodo DS2500 pads and fit them yourself in an hour.

Hiya.. are these Ferodo DS2500 worth paying the extra £85 more than redstuff? Any knowledge about the difference with stopping distance compared to standard pads?

Hiya.. are these Ferodo DS2500 worth paying the extra £85 more than redstuff? Any knowledge about the difference with stopping distance compared to standard pads?

Redstuff are an improvement on standard but the DS2500's are in a different league.

It's not so much about stopping distances more about feel, stability, brake pedal modulation and the ability to repeatedly abuse them without fear of them dropping off in performance.