Maybe a stupid question but...

dbass

You are taking weight of the car thus increasing the power :lol:

I really doubt they could void your insurance for an aerial, I mean you can easily say it was on the car when you bought it. Hardly something they could hang you for :lol:

Worse modifications been carried out oblivious to the insurance companies :)

I doubt a small aerial should make any difference to an insurance company and not something I would bother with lol. If you're cars lying in bits and the insurance guy goes..."ooh...that aerials a bit different isnt' it?".... I'd ... well I wouldn't want to be that insurance guy :lol:;)

General rule of thumb is: if it enhances your performance in any way, both stopping and going that is too, or if it significantly changes the appearance of an aspect of the car, i.e. bumper, skirts, etc. And especially if you plan to be claiming for a replacement, they need to know about it. On the other hand, if it does none of the above, there's no reason to tell them and it won't void your insurance.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

UPDATE: my insurance company said its not classed as a mod so doesnt need to be added to my policy! ideal! not sure if this applys to every company but it did mine

This confirms that changing your arial is NOT a mod ;) so when people claim to "mod" their car by doing this, it's clearly wrong :teeth:

i modified my car by lowering the tyre pressures to 34 psi, rather than the usual 35. i find it gives me more grip, thus allowing me to accelerate, brake and corner noticeably faster - do i need to tell my insurance?

or actually how about this... i swapped my rear camber from -0.3 per side to -0.5, which gives me a noticable increase in grip round corners, would i need to tell insurance?

both of these are not serious enquiries, rather thought provokers... track tyres and superpro poly bushes are an obvious modification (although not many people declare a change of tyres) but geometry and tyre pressure changes can have an equally significant effect on handling, but would never be declared...

Fitting the kit that equips you to change the geometry to a car that didn't previously have it however, would have to be declared. A modification that needs to be declared, needs to be a physical addition, or subtraction. So for example, removing ABS from a vehicle that has it, is a modification, because you've removed something, which changes the performance of the vehicle when stopping. Adding Camber arms or traction rods, strut braces, coilover suspension, uprated springs, uprated callipers etc. are all considered modifications that drastically change the performance of the vehicle and also add to the cost of a claim for the insurance company. In contrast, things like performance brake pads, performance brake fluid, octane booster, etc. are considered consumables and therefore not declarable. Nitrous Oxide is not declarable either, but fitting the equipment to allow it to be injected, to a vehicle that didn't have it before, is.