RIMS

Payco

OK, I am ready to move on to the next phase with my car - The Rims.

Plan is to replace the OEM Rays with Rota's 19x10 ET20 Rear and 19x8.5 ET15 front. Pretty sure i will need to remove and sell my spacers with this set up but confirmation would be good.

Can someone tell me if the handling of the car is going to noticeably change running 19's. I like the feel of the car currently and dont want to comprimise it going to 19's. Is there any upside (apart from looks) or downside.

Thanks all

Payco

Bigger rims = lower profile tyre = less damping from the tyre so you feel the road (and it's various bumps and holes) more.

Probably find you have a smaller choice of tyres on 19s as well. And often more expensive too.

What? Where does it say the tyre profile has to be lower if the wheel is bigger? The profile on a 245/40/19 is exactly the same as on a 245/40/18 and anyway if youre relying on your tyres for damping then youve got suspension issues that probably need sorting first :lol:

The tyre construction will have more to do with it anyway, a soft 35 is going to be more compliant than a hard 40 anyway.

19's are more expensive though, thats a painful truth unfortunately :(

What? Where does it say the tyre profile has to be lower if the wheel is bigger? The profile on a 245/40/19 is exactly the same as on a 245/40/18 and anyway if youre relying on your tyres for damping then youve got suspension issues that probably need sorting first :lol:

The tyre construction will have more to do with it anyway, a soft 35 is going to be more compliant than a hard 40 anyway.

19's are more expensive though, thats a painful truth unfortunately :(

Yeah, the profile will stay the same if you buy 245/40/18 or 245/40/19 because the profile is proportional to the width, which is staying the same. If you bought the 19s on those dimensions though, the rolling circumference is about 3.8% bigger than the 18s, which will impact your speedo, odometer (and possibly TCS too if the fronts aren't also bigger?).

The "correct" thing to do if upgrading to 19s from 245/40/18 would be to go for 245/35/19, which is only about 0.2% out on the rolling circumference.

We're going off topic here though... Back to the OP, yes, you will feel a difference when you change the tyres and rubber - whether you like it or loath it, is down to you.

Profile will change what feel you get a bit but if you can really feel the difference through a 5% profile reduction it would be quite impressive :) obviously if you're changing your wheels and tyre size etc. all at once the difference would feel a lot more significant.

As Wasso said it depends on what you want to do with your car. I'd like to go to 19's but I doubt I'd be able to afford the rubber and I like to have a slightly higher profile on the back so I have a bit of flex. This is a personal preference.

There must be enough guys on here running 19's which can let you know for sure. Would be interested in knowing which ones you end up going for :) good luck

Thanks. I have been speaking to CS about putting up a Group Buy for some Linea Dyna Corse rims which are superb but we need 10 forum members for them to do a deal. I will be first on the list if anyone wants to follow. Alternative is some Rota's but i love the Linea Dyna's. Prob is you just cant get hold of them.

Thanks for all the opinions

Payco

Having issues uploading images. Try looking for Linea Dyna Corse Hyper Silver rims on google images.

Great Rim. Few members have them its just they have become very hard to source.

Payco

Having issues uploading images. Try looking for Linea Dyna Corse Hyper Silver rims on google images.

Great Rim. Few members have them its just they have become very hard to source.

Payco

I reckon you will struggle to get 3 on a group buy Martin let alone 10, tried it myself, worth giving it a go if you can get a good price.

Have you though about Varrstoen wheels ? Bit different to the norm and only slightly more in price