Reverse Cam Install - Please Help

Stutopia

So I installed the fleabay special reverse cam

http://www.ebay.co.u...ME:L:OU:GB:3160

into my Pioneer AVH-X2500BT. I took the power from the reverse light (pale green with silver band) via scotchlock and grounded to the bolt from the Bose amp bracket in the boot. Ran the cam video feed through the boot, up the passenger side door carpet/trim, under passenger dash and into back of headunit.

It was all looking so good. But, when I switch on the headunit it simply switches to the reverse cam automatically after a few seconds, even if reverse not engaged. When reverse is engaged the cam works nicely and picture is fine, but the head unit won't disengage cam when out of reverse. I've gone into the headunit settings and checked the polarity, it should run off battery, but I've tried ground too - same result. Vid below shows it all happening in real life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8DqUPMhhTU&feature=youtu.be

Any suggestions welcome, so long as they don't involve ripping the centre console out again, which is a b@$£@rd to put back!

Cheers.

Right, after carefully reading your post it seems you may have to rip the centre conse out again.

I can't seem to see the bit where you wired up the reverse camera impulse signal cable.

The pioneer should have a wire labelled "Reverse" and this wire needs to be connected to the reverse light so it gets a power signal to tell it that the car is in reverse and switch to the camera. Without it, I am guessing that the signal is overriding other video inputs, since your music is still playing.

I also have the eBay cam connected to a a pioneer HU

Hope this helps

Edited by BulletMagnet

Right, after carefully reading your post it seems you may have to rip the centre conse out again.

I can't seem to see the bit where you wired up the reverse camera impulse signal cable.

The pioneer should have a wire labelled "Reverse" and this wire needs to be connected to the reverse light so it gets a power signal to tell it that the car is in reverse and switch to the camera. Without it, I am guessing that the signal is overriding other video inputs, since your music is still playing.

I also have the eBay cam connected to a a pioneer HU

Hope this helps

Cheers BM. I did wonder this when I was doing the install, I thought there should be a second "signal" wire along with the video feed and I was kind of hoping that the HU would simply know it was in reverse because the RC IN phono video signal powered up. Apparently not, this is too sophisticated,

I have since realised that camera confusingly shouldn't be set to ON (as per the video) as this is for ALWAYS ON - in case you wanted to watch out the back as you drove into cars in front. In normal operation, it should be set to OFF and then it picks up the reverse signal in the back, as per your post BM.

Next question. Which one of them 3000 connectors in the back of the head unit is the reverse "signal" input? The manual is totally useless and there weren't many holes which didn't have something jammed in.

I am no expert however I can only guess that you have a permanent live feed.

Have you checked the feed with a meter to determine if this is the case ?

Where, as you know you only want a live feed when in reverse.

Alex. :)

Cheers Alex, this isn't the case. I thought the same thing at first, but I've since learned my lesson from scouring the web. It only goes live in reverse, but the settings in the head unit in the video are set to "CAMERA ON" which simply forces the head unit to camera input even if it is off and displays a black screen (as there is no power to cam). This confirms it's not on perma live.

If that all makes sense? ;)

Sneaky pioneer people have two manuals, user (useless) and install (useful). I now know which is the "in reverse" signal input to the head unit.

RevSignalFeed_zps166c2ade.png

So if I splice in another cable to the reverse light, then run it along the video signal, it should be back of the net.

I can't face doing this again today, but at least I know now. Just need a length of fairly low grade wire to run as the signal and some sunshine, so I can start ripping it all out again!

Sneaky pioneer people have two manuals, user (useless) and install (useful). I now know which is the "in reverse" signal input to the head unit.

RevSignalFeed_zps166c2ade.png

So if I splice in another cable to the reverse light, then run it along the video signal, it should be back of the net.

I can't face doing this again today, but at least I know now. Just need a length of fairly low grade wire to run as the signal and some sunshine, so I can start ripping it all out again!

Yup that's the one

Yup that's the one

How do they go in BM? Is it some sort of male connector I need put on the end of the wire? Or just jam it in there?

It should just be a wire with no connector or a bullet connector,

What I did was to splice a wire into the reverse light and off that wire I connected the power for the cam AND the signal wire for the HU.

Works fine and hasn't gone wrong so far (installed in 2011)

Hope this helps

Edited by BulletMagnet

there is a cable behind the head unite you can splice into so you dont need to run a signal cable all the way from the back end got belive its sky blue that when you follow it changes to orange hope it helps you a bit

Where is this cable (roughly)? Planning to do this soon and would be good to know where it is.

there is a cable behind the head unite you can splice into so you dont need to run a signal cable all the way from the back end got belive its sky blue that when you follow it changes to orange hope it helps you a bit

Where is this cable (roughly)? Planning to do this soon and would be good to know where it is.

Don't know if you've seen this but it's super handy for routing cables, removing trim, getting a reverse light feed etc.

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/56481-kenwood-ddx-4028bt-rear-cam-install-–-superguide/

Good luck with it, I had to slip on some captain brave pants when pulling the rear bumper loose. I was sure it was going to break!