Fat wheels...

stevie_350z

After spending a weekend @ Nurburgring, mostly watching the back of a Porsche GT3RS zoom away from me, I thought - gosh, that car looks dirty with those big fat wheels...

...I reckon the Z would look just as nasty (read: nice) with big fat wheels too.

Looking at wheels online I see 19x9, 18x9 etc.. I'm assuming 9 is the offset... but what about the width of the tyre... is that the middle number in:

245x35x8 or something?

A word to the wise please :-)

Looking at wheels online I see 19x9, 18x9 etc.. I'm assuming 9 is the offset... but what about the width of the tyre... is that the middle number in:

245x35x8 or something?

A word to the wise please :-)

Stevie, stevie.....

Do you not read any of the 6,000,000 posts on this? :p

When something says 19x9 for example, then the "9" is the width of the wheel rim. They normally mention offsets with a +xx figure, such as +22, +33 etc..... so eg, 19x9.5 +23 is a 19" wheel, thats 9.5" wide with a +23 offset.

But on your example of 245x35x8 (typically when talking about tyres)..... and note you would NOT get an example like yours, or that that would be 8" wheel! :D

So using 245x45x18:

then thats a 245 width tyre with a 45mm side profile height, to fit a 18" wheel. Normally a tyre like this will fit a small range of wheel widths, maybe 8" to 9" or something like that (i don't have time to check)....... but the standard rear on 350z is 8.5" wide.

But mine looks so much better with a 9.5" wide rear wheel, on it I have 275x35x19s and they look sweet from the rear!

Hope that helps :thumbs:

9" is the width of the wheel mate.

I have 9" at the front and 10" at the back. And yes they made a huge difference in both looks and handling B)

tyres: 245 front and 275 back

PS jacko beat me to it :D

PPS stevie needs to learn how to search!

I just wanted to give you sorts a chance to show that you know something! :p

With the 245/275 I assume (1) you don't need to frig about with the ESP, and (2) they fill the arches... or are spacers required to be even dirtier? :)

So for that truly dirty "I'm going to ravish you" look:

Front: 245x45x19

Back: 275x45x19

WIDTH (converting in to mm)

245 mm = 9.64566 in

275 mm = 10.8267 in

PROFILE (percentage of tyre width)

245 mm x 45% = 110.5 mm = 11.05 cm

One more question (Columbo-stylee): what's all this talk about lug nuts... I assume you get everything you need with the wheel... assume the nissan nuts dinnae work on different wheels... do I need a side order of nuts?

With the 245/275 I assume (1) you don't need to frig about with the ESP, and (2) they fill the arches... or are spacers required to be even dirtier? :)

WIDTH (converting in to mm)

245 mm = 9.64566 in

275 mm = 10.8267 in

PROFILE (percentage of tyre width)

245 mm x 45% = 110.5 mm = 11.05 cm

One more question (Columbo-stylee): what's all this talk about lug nuts... I assume you get everything you need with the wheel... assume the nissan nuts dinnae work on different wheels... do I need a side order of nuts?

dont forget tghough Steve the width of the tyre ie 275mm is not the rim width you can have a 9 or 9.5 or 10 " rim with those tyres

do they Liam? good to know. Mine for example 100% don't fit, need thinner ones.

PS still you need Rays lightweight lug nuts now :p

stevie for 19" wheels you shouldn't go with a 45 aspect ratio, you should go with 35 iirc

Stevie, NO!

You want to go to 35 profile tyres with 19" wheels.

You gone up in size of wheels, so wanna go down in Profile to keep rolling radius within the EDC limits (think its +- 2%)

do they Liam? good to know. Mine for example 100% don't fit, need thinner ones.

PS still you need Rays lightweight lug nuts now :p

+1 :p

Mine are 19x9.5 & 19x10.5 they fill the arches niceley :)

Ive not posted any photos for a while so heres one :p

100_1082Medium.jpg

Nice and dirty! Love it.

You can see how the layman can get confused... some folks talk about tyres with 245x35x19 and then some talk about 19x9.5...

So, I need 245x35x19 and 275x35x19 which is the same as 19x9.5 and 19x10.5?

But then again, Sarnie has 285s the greedy git... that sounds really dirty and might just be my bag, baby!

Nice and dirty! Love it.

You can see how the layman can get confused... some folks talk about tyres with 245x35x19 and then some talk about 19x9.5...

But then again, Sarnie has 285s the greedy git... that sounds really dirty and might just be my bag, baby!

This dirty enough for ya?

RIMS011.jpg

:evil:

Nice and dirty! Love it.

Steve,

I'm not sure if i've read your comment right but i think your getting mixed up.

19x9.5 is the Wheel size. It is completely different when talking about the size of tyres. Not just one size width of tyre can fit on a 9.5" wide wheel. You could have 235x35x19 or 255x35x19 . It is just from alittle science and mainly experience that the best size for the Zed is 245x35x19. The 35 in (245x35x19) is the height of the tyre (refered to as profile) if you where looking at the side of your car from the pavement. This is a percentage of the width of your tyre. 35% of 245. This is only 35% as when you go up in wheel size, say from 18" wheels to 19" wheels it is recommended that you go down in profile. This is to keep the rolling radius of your wheel the same. If you think about it, if you have an 19" wheel, one rotation will be bigger or longer than a 18" wheel, hence reducing your tyre profile will alleviate this so that your speedo reads correct etc..

Im sorry if this sounds abit of a dummy guide or i have gone over points you already know :blush:

Steve

I wouldn't disagree with what my learned friends have advised but if you want to "fill the arches" the offset is just as important.

If you do it right the rolling radius stays the same so in profile the wheel/tyre combo will be no bigger. However, what gives it the aggressive look is how far the wheel is tucked into the arch when you look at it side on.

For example, a high offset (eg +42) on a Zed will leave the wheels tucked deep into the arch and looking like a canoe (think E-type Jag). On the other hand I've got +18 on my 9" wide fronts and that pushes the wheel right out to the very edge of the bodywork - very aggressive looking! B) Any more than that and they stick out of the arches which is a look best reserved for chavved Corsas.

I can't just tell you what offset to go for as it depends on the style of wheel and width of wheel. I'd suggest that if you decide on a wheel you like and post it up we should be able to give you some more of an idea what sizes, offsets, tyres etc would suit. :thumbs:

Sweet - thanks all for the feedback. Better a five minute fool for asking a question than a fool for a life time for not...

Thats what the forum is for. Dont stay a n00b long if you ask lots of qustions (so long as you do a search first) :thumbs:

to follow what Jacko said, you want at most a 35 aspect ration (sidewall height) on 19's, if not 30's

Here is my car with 19x9 and 19x10 wheels, and 265/30/19 front, 285/30/19 rear - offsets are +23 up front, +24 out back (though I am using a 5mm spacer in the rear right now, so effective offset is a +19).

20.jpg

To further complicate things somewhat, you get the situation where not all tires are created equal. For example, a 285/30/19 tire obviously is for a 19 inch wheel as the name suggests. However, its also "supposed" to be 285mm in section width - such is not always the case. Just like not all "larges" on shirts are the same physical size (varies store to store), or like jeans from one store and jeans from another, despite being the same size, are not cut quite the same, such is the situation with tires. You've got tires that run a bit narrower, and some that run a bit fuller.

My own tires are Bridgestone RE050, which run on the fuller side of things, making them even wider than their "size" suggests

Getting the right overall look is about the relationship of your tire to wheel to car - when these three things play nicely, you get a car that not only looks purposeful, but performs equally well. Push the wheel and tire too far out, and you suffer massive alignment issues that can take time to sort out (ie, offsets down into the low teens with super wide or super skinny tires). You'll find these cars to handle in a very "darty" fashion. It can be all corrected with proper alignement specs but not every shop is capable enough to know these specs, let alone dial them in.