Winter tyres advice needed?

mehdiaj

I bought some normal 18" 350z alloys to use in winter, i am looking to buy some winter tyres.

just wanted to know if people can recommend any?

I heard some are really good in the snow, but really bad in the rain? they dont sound to great lol

Med

I've been using Kumho KW27s for the last two winters on standard 18" alloys and they are great in snow and in low temps. Obviously in the dry when the temperature starts to rise they are a bit soft and the side walls flex a bit, but they have got me out of a lot of situations that would have been impossible on summer tyres.

• Like 1

Nankang sv-2's are pretty good. I know your think not nankangs but they are decent. I loved my wintercontacts and have tried falken hs439's but my conti's where better. But the new hs449's seem to be better than the old 439's and on par with the conti's but not on the price!

Buy P38 Range Rover for roughly same cost as 4 Winter tyres for the Z, drive said P38 for the winter, then sell in spring for roughly the same price you bought it. That's sort of what I did, except I didn't sell it, as I love it too much. So now it's the car we use for tip runs, going to the supermarket and to put the dog/kids in. Also now used as a support vehicle at camp over shows like LakeZ, ZFest, JAE, etc. :D

Oh and track days, because I can fit coolant, oil, top half of my tool chest (Where all the important bits are kept), spare parts etc. Wouldn't be without it now, lol.

Edited by HollowPoint

I got past many range rovers that got stuck with their fancy 4 wheel drive but with summer tyres. I had 2wd and winter tyres. People asking if they could borrow it over their rr's lol.

also 4wd wont slow you down any quicker.

Edited by Dblock

I got past many range rovers that got stuck with their fancy 4 wheel drive but with summer tyres. I had 2wd and winter tyres. People asking if they could borrow it over their rr's lol.

Indeed, two points though, I doubt they were P38s, as trust me they do NOT get stuck unless buggered and second, I have 'General Grabbers' on mine. They're literally an all round tyre, on/off road, winter/summer, etc. When it snowed, I was laughing, when it rained heavily, I was laughing, when the sun was out, it still had air con, so I was laughing :D

Indeed, two points though, I doubt they were P38s, as trust me they do NOT get stuck unless buggered and second, I have 'General Grabbers' on mine. They're literally an all round tyre, on/off road, winter/summer, etc. When it snowed, I was laughing, when it rained heavily, I was laughing, when the sun was out, it still had air con, so I was laughing :D

General grabbers are those knobbly all season tyres? They where modern range rovers and they had normal or summer tyres on them. My uncles q7 came with goodyear gsd'3s! Worst thing in the snow ever!

I'm 'oop North so pretty much leave the Nissan in the garage all winter, but I've got cooper weather masters on my WRX (in the winter), excellent in the snow, fine in the sun and ok in the rain.

Naturally it's AWD so will handle differently to a 350, only issue is that it understeers a bit more in the rain than on summer tyres, but in the snow, LEGENDARY!!!!!!!

Winter tyres are well worth the investment, once you've tried them in the snow you wont go back.