water (water & meth) Injection

d95gas

Hi All,

Well just moved over from having a 300+ bhp MR2 Turbo, which I ran methanol injection on. The kit I used was the "DevilsOwn" kit which had its own progressive controller where you set the start point in psi, and the full flow point. So in my case WI kicked in at 6psi and was on full flow by 13psi.

This not only added a margin of safety to the engine, but gave very effective boost regardless of external temps. You got the "Crisp Air" morning response from the car.

So, the whole kit came off the MR2 before being sold, so I now have the full kit available; Progressive Controller, 300 psi Pump, Tank, Jets, 300psi Solenoid..... All sat there begging to be used.

The good thing about the controller is that it can be used on either a MAP based system or a MAF based system, just needs a 5V signal and it does all the rest, you just set your start point and your max flow point.

So big question.... Is anyone on the forum currently running water/meth injection ?

Our American cousins love running these on turbo and NA engines, as well as a good amount on diesel engines.

Spoke to their tech team, and they confirm there would be no issues associated with the kit and the 350 engine.

Any information from anyone who ventured down this road, would be good

Thanks

Graeme

Zero point running it on NA cars.

The whole point of water/meth injection is to reduce charge temps. Charge temps only significantly increase when you compress the air, as in an FI installation, as otherwise the air you're sucking into the engine is more or less just ambient in temperature. When you compress air it heats up significantly, which reduces the amount of power available. Intercoolers and especially chargecoolers usually sort this for a one-time-fit solution, however if you're running serious boost or live in a hot country then injection is a brilliant idea and goes that one step further.

Unless you're losing masses of power due to heat soak when NA (and you'd need to answer why before going any further), then injection will not help you in any significant way.

some good responses guys, and I appreciate the straight answers. I was aware that there are many arguments (on the USA Forums), for and against WI on NA engines, and was interested to see if anyone had actually done it. As it is I was considering selling the setup as it seems a waste just having it sat there.

Given the answers above, looks like I will move it on and put the money into more mods for the 350 :teeth:

Many thanks

Graeme

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i´m using it and i say that its not a must, and for NA its no point cause you will never make deto or knock unless someting is wrong.for supercharger, like mine, its no great ad on but will keep the engine cooler and the gas octane up, but with no more HP. you can get a litle more HP with more timming and adv cams but with 10psi you cant get real HPthe Meth is usefull when you have so much bost and so much timming that it wll make det and knock no matter what!the down side is that if the meth fail and because your tunning is so agressive you will be damaging your engine without the meth protection.

Edited by alexdax