Cobra or Scorpion, Again

Hooch

So come on Scorpion users, talk to me.

Is the scorpion louder than the standard system?

If so is it noticeable?

I'm only looking for a bit louder than standard, then if I want HFC's I can install them in the future (hopefully with less rasp)

Yup I have seen that, still paying off the car as the rents let me borrow some cash.

If it got a bit cheaper I would be very interested. ;) Wink wink nudge nudge

CS, would you say its a noticeable difference and does it still have the deep V6 note?

Sweet, cheers CS, as I said, I'm looking for a bit more than standard but i'm pretty sure the cobra will be to loud.

I used to have an Impreza with an exhaust that raised Satan so would like something a bit more mature now.

Used to sound like this:

- the turbo for insurance reasons

A fellow Zed owner commented on how quiet mine was the other week while i was backing it out of the tyre garage, I gave it a small blip up to 4.5k ish and he was pleasantly surprised how nice it sounded.

Personally I think it looks better as it really hugs the bumper line and there is no visible exhaust clamps.

Yup I have seen that, still paying off the car as the rents let me borrow some cash.

If it got a bit cheaper I would be very interested. ;) Wink wink nudge nudge

CS, would you say its a noticeable difference and does it still have the deep V6 note?

Make me an offer :thumbs:

I've got the scorpion system with HFC's - sounds awesome, but... with hindsight I would have gone for the Miltek as it includes the Y-pipe and is made to accomadate the part. Adding aftermarket Y-pipe's to the HFC/Scorpion setup (and cobra I assume?) seems to bring in the dreaded drone at 2.5k which drove me nuts and I ended up having to heat wrap the pipe, putt some extra sound deadening in the boot etc to get rid of it which was a faff and not much cheaper than buying the miltek in the first place! :lol:

With the HFC's the Scorpion is definetly not stock sounding though - sounds mean as hell :teeth:

Tried to do a cabin sound clip of my Cobra for you, but it won't come out and sounds really quiet, sorry :(

Cheers for trying!

Would you say its any louder than stock?

It is louder than stock yes. At idle there's nothing in it, give it a rev and it roars to life. It's a different kind of sound compared to stock but a nice sound, more raw. IMO it should have come from the factory like it.

The best advice I can give you is to listen to the Cobra/Scorpion in person and see what you like best. You're welcome to come and listen to mine if you are local.

I have been having the same/similar dilemma for the last couple of months. Picked the car up and it has the HKS type true dual exhaust, which looks fantastic and tickover and low revs sounds immense, but on the motorway between 2-2.5k rpm there is a lot of droning.

The car also has Berk HFC fitted.

So the dilemma is to either live with it given that its not my daily drive and just put up with the occasional distance drive, or swap the whole thing/part of the system out for something thats still going to give a nice sound, but without the droning.

Like yourself I have been listening to so many sounds clips, and I still don't know which way to jump. Hoping to get to listen to some sounds at JAE in a couple of weeks, then with the help of our excellent trade people, see which parts of the system I can swap out, and what I can keep from the true dual.

I have the non resonated Cobra system and to be fair, I don't get that much droning (maybe going deaf??).. I'm thinking of getting rid of mine now, only because I don't like the way the exits clamp onto the exhaust.. Doesn't really have that Jap look about it. Good quality system though :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well just thought I would provide an update, had the exhaust fitted today while the car was in for an MOT with my mechanic. (passed MOT fine, only issue was discs and pads which I knew about already).

Well its a nice sounding exhaust, its not to loud but does have a nice growl, more than the standard set-up so whoever says its sounds the same is wrong.

If it I had to compare it to anything it would be that its like a much more expensive performance car, like an Aston or something as its a much more powerful sound without sounding like a chav mobile.

I like it, no drone, nothing annoying about it at all and very very well built.

Perfect step up from standard, thanks very much Peteman for selling me it!

Just need some Berks in the future before the remap :lol:

• Like 1