My mini petrol review for the zed (Reassesed see 2nd page)

rickya

Just something I thought I would share, its just my opinion not backed up by any scientific data etc! Its just from my driving experience & feel of the car.

Iv tested out Esso Super unleaded for about 5 months

Shell V power for about 2 months

BP Ultimate for about 2 months

In terms of performance Iv found that the Esso Super was average.

Shell V power surprisingly was the worst in terms of performance!! IMO it did not suit my JDM Zed as well as the other two fuels.

-It made idling & pottering in 1st gear a bit rough

-It caused a slight delay in power delivery when putting foot down, especially in 2nd & 3rd

-The car generally felt less responsive in lower gears

BP Ultimate was the complete opposite, I could tell the difference immediately from Shell V power to BP ultimate. Bp Ultimate eliminated all of the above little quirks I found with Shell & the car is a lot smoother in idle, & 1st gear. With no slight delay in pick up & it just seems the car runs a lot better for it. More responsive in every gear with a smoother power delivery & smoother up changes in gears.

I tested a few tankfuls in a row of each in similar climates & did not leave it in the tank for long periods. But obviously I dont know how long the petrol was sitting in the station forecourts. Also its just my opinion on my JDM zed, so its not the gospel! ;)

Interesting Ricky.

I remember when Autocar did a test with an Astra VXR on the fuels and found the opposite. BP Ultimate actually produced less power than normal unleaded, and V Power came out on top. Tesco 99 was marginally less than V Power IIRC.

I know that I notice the difference in mine, I used to use BP Ultimate, and apart from the horrendous price of the stuff, the fuel consumption was down to about 22mpg. With V Power it's between 25-26mpg and goes a lot better.

I haven't tried Tesco 99 so can't comment.

Tesco 99RON went up recently at my forecourt, cost me 99.9p/l today :cry:

I've been paying 100.9 for V Power for the last few days, and the BP Ultimate is up to 103.9!! :scare:

Seriously, someone should tell them you cant charge over 1p a RON :rant:

I guess that was at Chineham Tesco then Chris? I also filled up there last night and was amazed that the pump actually cut out because I had exceeded the £60 limit that the pay-at-pump can authorise. I had to then put another card in to carry on filling up, only got another couple of quid in though... They really should extend that £60 limit if they're going to keep putting the prices up! :angry:

I've been paying 100.9 for V Power for the last few days, and the BP Ultimate is up to 103.9!! :scare:

Jeeeeesus!!! 103.9???? Thats incredible. The price of petrol in Switzerland has gone up quite a bit as well recently, but we're still only at 75p a litre now.

Don't think I'll be moving back to UK in hurry :wacko:

Jeeeeesus!!! 103.9???? Thats incredible. The price of petrol in Switzerland has gone up quite a bit as well recently, but we're still only at 75p a litre now.

Don't think I'll be moving back to UK in hurry :wacko:

I paid that at the height of the petrol prices just after I got the Zed. The gf gave me a much disapproving look as I paid over £70 for the first fill up!!

Petrol prices are absoloutely stupid at the moment, hence I think I shall only be puting in BP Ultimate every 3rd fill up- 103.9 pence!!

Il either stick to Esso Super at approx 100pence or sart going to Watford Tesco for 99ron at 99 pence

H5 I read that article & also a similar one in Evo which found that different cars performed differently to different fuels. IIRC the Impreza's performed better on Tesco 99Ron; the M5 better on BP Ultimate or Shell etc so I guess its all a bit hit & miss.

• 3 weeks later...

Based on what you guys have said I have gone back to Shell v power once again for a few fill ups & have changed my mind!!

:teeth:

Ah well it takes an honest man to admit he was wrong!

Shell V power is more suited to my zed than BP Ultimate. I wont go into whys etc as my opinions arent scientific, but definetley car feels more responsive now going back to Shell V power :D

ps ignore the crap I wrote on pg1!!